3DCoat Forums

Question about xyz axis

Malo

• Contributor

I have a simple question, that digs me a long time.

Why is in CG mostly the Y axis the vertical axis and not the Z axis like in CAD or Industrial programms or machines?

I know not every CG App follow that axis behavior. Blender have still Z for the vertical axis.

Could anybody explain me the benefit about that.

CAD applications have adopted the Z axis up (right handed coordinate system), as sort of a carry over from drawing floor plans, which is a view from above looking down, so that the X & Y axes are on the floor.

• Like 1

• Contributor

I'll second Tony's and Carlos' replies.

Cartesian coordinate system relies on a plane of reference. This for most programs is the front view and therefore you have Y for up and X for horizontal axis while Z is the depth. Some programs, like CAD software, use top view as a reference plane. Probably because their origin dates back to the pen and paper times. And that is why the third axis - Z, goes up - towards your eyes - when you're looking down on a piece of paper.

Also, I think it's easier to teach kids the "Y is world's up" system in schools. It's easier to explain to them that if the Y is a vertical axis and X is a horizontal one in a two-dimensional coordinate system, then Z, an additional axis introduced much later on, is the depth. So this might have had an impact on software development decisions too. Just a thought.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Thanks for the replys.

I work my whole life with Z UP. But since 3d coat, i have to think different.

First i was thinking this must have some benefit, but now after your answeres it looks like it is only a matter of how the people see there work.

I always work in topview at work, but in CG you mostly work in Front view.

And to keep that view from looking from Z axis, it was rotated by 90 degrees, so Y goes UP in that programs.

Very interrestiog.