David Ikeda leave Lightwave -was Modeling Developer-

Lightwave careers site asking for

Wanted : Modeling Developer

https://www.lightwave3d.com/careers/

Why ? because David Ikeda leave lightwave -was Modeling Developer-

http://www.rendering.de/?p=4658

DI site
https://www.facebook.com/david.ikeda

Its not a good moment for him, i think reading his notes.

Im quoting his words:

http://www.rendering.de/?p=4658

-----------------------------

“I want to take a little time to talk about leaving NewTek as I’ve seen some people who seem to be spiteful towards the company for it. It is not their fault by any means whatsoever. Please continue to support LW — there’s some really great people behind it working so hard every single day.

I am a very disagreeable person, and one who does not get along well inside a team environment. We can see the vast difference in the quality of my work and the speed at which I can produce it inside and out, and that’s not because the company overlooked something, I’ve come to realize more and more over the past few weeks of programming that I’m only really good at doing things exactly my way. This makes me impossible to manage and work inside a team environment. It is better off for both me and NT to go our separate ways: the company has one less pain in the ass to work with, and I am completely free to seek to do the best work I’ve done in many years.

This past few weeks has given me so much joy as a result of doing my best work in a very long time, and I feel like I’m starting to become a lot less tense as a person: it’s currently like a programming vacation, but it’s also a total healing process for me. I had accumulated so much stress as a result of the mediocrity of the work I was doing inside the company over the years. A lot of the joy or depression in my life comes from the quality of my work, and I’ve been so depressed for the past decade: I started turning to alcohol as a way to try to stop caring about these kinds of things which only made me increasingly harder to work with as drinking to escape this way only starts to add to the bitterness.

The problem is that I’ve been programming solo for so many years: over two decades. And before I joined NewTek, I was working on some projects which spanned over half a million lines of code, all of which I wrote, which I had to maintain myself. The biggest struggle I had prior to joining was project scale: putting together really, really large projects and trying to keep that from becoming a maintenance mess. The most valuable things I learned from my mistakes there was not how to implement a raytracer or image processor or audio engine or anything like that, but how to put this all together harmoniously inside a very big project without ending up spending all my time in maintenance mode, unable to make big improvements past that point.

A problem with this is that I consider myself a large-scale system designer due to that experience, an architect type, and that requires an overbearing focus on how every single part of the system works as well as a nosiness which can be quite unpleasant to others. There’s no room for more than one architect. It’s looking at the project in an overview fashion, and is best suited for someone with leadership and coordination skills in a team. I have none of those, I just like to write code, but I’m only effective at doing it when I’m designing systems at an overview kind of level.

In any case, I am still very grateful for my time at NewTek. I learned a lot there, but unfortunately I also learned that I am not a very good programmer in that kind of environment. ..”

“I wanna take a little time to explain where I’m going! I don’t want to talk about the software so much, I’m still researching major systems and I’m getting a lot of questions about exactly what I’m doing, but I can talk at great length about my target audience. Please forgive me as I rant about my personal history for a bit (slight ego trip).

I’m a solo/hobbyist kind of guy at heart. I dabbled in all kinds of software from music to 2D painting apps to graphics apps, 3D apps, programming apps, video editing, sound, etc. Most of it came from my previous experience developing games as this kind of garage programmer who had to at least try to make his own graphics and music and sound effects. As a result, I became a software dabbler, and one who tended to get ideas from a combination of wide variety of industries with the game industry being, and continuing to be, my biggest influence. I just think they tend to do things really right, really innovative, and have the most healthy balance between spending a great deal of time researching things like realtime DOF for their engine only to end up being able to produce a game quickly after spend the majority of their time researching and discovering what they can do with their engine.

The 3D software I was most drawn to was LightWave, Rhino3D, and Mirai. Those three applications had something in common: they were sketchy and doodly. They were good for the dabbler who wants results fast. The workflows were direct and simple, and the former two were really based more on drawing what you want to do directly under your mouse cursor than dealing with more abstract forms of interaction like, say, a gizmo. Later ZBrush became a part of that mix.

These are the types of applications I want to make: direct, fast, aimed for the dabbler, the hobbyist, the freeleancer. I don’t like big scene setups and all kinds of context-switching overhead. I don’t like giant pieplines that have like 10 different, really expensive applications in the mix. I don’t even like object modes in a modeler and would prefer to select meshes with a hotkey. I don’t like software loaded with options to try to make everyone happy at the cost of making the simple things everyone does every day more complex. For me it’s all about keeping the simple things simple, and I think that is the key to a good software. If the complex things are possible, all the merrier, but my first and primary goal is to keep the simple things simple. This means I will probably exclude the power studio TD type of audience, but I’m afraid this is the path I feel I must take: it’s the type of software that speaks to me, and I think I do the best when I work on software I actually want to use myself.”