3DCoat Forums

Who uses Blender here at the 3DC forums

digman

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Very very interesting developments in Blender going on;

"Terrachild has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - The story behind Pixar's OpenSubdiv - in the CG News forum of CGTalk.

This thread is located at:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1125055&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
This will be in Blender, and is probably the result of Blender, and its open-source movement. Pixar agrees with Ton's approach. In fact, if you went to Siggraph, you know that in the presentation that involved Pixar, and Ton from Blender, it was stated by the Pixar people that the industry has its eye on Blender. They are watching it closely to see where it goes from here.

What is a shame, is that despite it lightening fast improvement over the last 3 years, it still gets little respect from the user base of Maya, Max, Modo, etc.

Can you imagine how much progress it would make if a portion of the millions (Billions?) poured into the companies that make those applications were directed toward Blender. It would be a win-win for everybody. Everybody except for Autodesk, and the other companies that would like to keep the status quo.
*************** "

Is not clear for me this point

They are watching it closely to see where it goes.

If the industry has its eye on Blender... why not they spend donation or developers to actual pipeline ? :huh:

the article have any mention to blender ? cant find it

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/pixars-opensubdiv-v2-a-detailed-look/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Reposting AbnRanger's posted links to Andrew Price's videos on the UI issues in blender. 

You may agree or not, this is an excellent presentation. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xYiiD-p2q80

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIedljapuz0&feature=player_embedded

Meanwhile, here's a test, just for fun. IMO not a very easy to do task. It heavily depends on the blender UV editor. A displacement test on a single mesh - twisted torus. (cycles render) 

torus1L.jpg

• Like 1

Hi :)

Well, count me in. I used Blender for many sort of things ranged from artistic work to development too so somehow I know a bit from its inner quirk and tricks and I must tell you is amazing, and most importantly its rapid development pace. So bigger general 3D apps long ago had a serious competitor in Blender. in the beginning it was regarded as a newbie oriented app and indeed it was, but within few years of crazy development it has catch up more than one of the biggest out there (cough, 3dmax ,  cough.... :P) code wise is a pool of new ideas and very easy to experiment with it.

So I personally think that while Blender is a very powerful all-in-one 3D suite, combined with specialized tools like 3DCoat is an unbeatable combination for production work!

• Advanced Member

Welcome, and welcome to this particular topic Raul.  :)

So I personally think that while Blender is a very powerful all-in-one 3D suite, combined with specialized tools like 3DCoat is an unbeatable combination for production work!

Almost there, a little more development is needed though (in blender) . Just a little. 

A very powerful combination. Considering that both apps have a lot of similar tools (not of the same quality always). But this is just fine. 

There's a lot of tex painting development in blender, right now. Still, long way to come close to 3dcoat on this (if ever).

After a few test renders, you always tweak some tex maps in blender, without the need of going back to 3dcoat, that's good. 

On the other hand, both 3dcoat and blender offer powerful UV editors. The combination of both is unbeatable. I also enjoy the compatibility of the baked textures, the normal, the displ maps. 

3dcoat may be powerful but still lacks of a multi resolution sculpting room. To bake maps from multires. Blender offers it (still some development is needed there). 

Yeah, it is a powerful combination already. More successful combination than the zbrush blender may be. 

Well... Modo is a bag of bugs... last release is a joke... just read user forums... still bad animation...

like example:

http://forums.luxology.com/post.aspx?f=32&t=51250&p=710687

--------------------------------------

back to blender thread... i think we talk here about a new paradigm

can be an OSS be competitive vs payed soft ?

i think sometimes yes

blender is not maya, is not Lw particles sytem, is not max plugins... but thinking in time... is a worth learn it... and thrust in a promising development future

I've not only got to disagree, you're dead wrong. Modo is a great tool. Have you tried it? It's not some "bag of bugs" as you called it, and the latest release is the best version yet, I've been using it since 401, and it has only gotten better with each new version.

Of course, just like any application, it does have bugs and can crash. I don't know any programs that don't have bugs and ocassionally crash.

• 9 months later...
Sept 8, 2013, Carlosan asked: 
"What is better in Carrara that surpassed Blender?"
Carrara has much easier animation controls....e.g. spin modifier, point-at mod, copy/pasting keyframes, editing curves (ease in/out). 
Blender is still much more powerful (vis Sintel video), but Carrara is much easier for routine animating without using nodes. 

Carrara used to be my "main app", and I still like it very much for certain things, but I use Blender 90% of the time now....mostly for 
fluid & soft body sims, or abstract animations....it's a great app, and the development cycle is amazing. 

When I first tried it using 2.49, it drove me crazy, and I swore, "May a spider lay her eggs in my ear before I ever try Blender again!"
But in 2009, when they created the new GUI, and I saw the Sintel video, I decided to give it one last try, and am glad I did! =O

The GUI is still not as intuitive as Carrara or C4D, but I find I can get around and find my way as there are so many great tutorials, and a 
helpful  community. It's worth learning......and you can't complain about the price.....FREE. 

I'm interested in 3DC to help me create space ships like the one in Prometheus. It's funny, because I was able to do something in Blender
using a map I got from michalis at an epic Blender thread he started about Sculpting with UVs & Displacements.

Using this excellent tutorial by Oliver Villar, I was able to use Blender to model this ship (rendered in VUE). 
But the process was difficult, and I don't know how I did it. LOL! 

I hope 3DCoat may allow me to create more organic base meshes for the ship, and also to add details with displacement. 

I was also trying ZBrush, but am taking a break to see what I can do in 3DC. And also will try it in C4D (displacement)

Whichever app gives the best result with the least hassle. They are all great apps, and do something best.  ;)

• Advanced Member

I absolutely love Blender now and use it as my 'go to' poly modelling and rendering suite.

I have tried loads of other tools, spent a lot of time with Carrara and dabbled in Blender many, many times over the years, often running away disgusted at its annoying UI.

Things changed around six months ago. I gave it another go and for some reason, I just 'got it' this time. 

Now I actually prefer using it over anything else. It all just seems easier and quicker to get things done now plus it has some fantastic plugins.

Anyone interested in interactive 3D Webgl geared to Artists needs to check out Blend4Web.

Even if you model / texture everything elsewhere and then bring it in to Blender with Blend4Web to finish your scene and export to WebGL it is still a really nice solution.  

I also recently had to model and render a multi-layered fibre optic cable snaking from background to foreground for a client.

I did the initial mock-up in 3D Coat, modeled a lower poly version using splines in Blender then rendered with cycles.

The process was very quick and painless with great results.

Edited by Marc Wakefield