3DCoat Forums

Clarisse, the future ?

• Advanced Member

Well yea.. I expected that they will not support modeling, rigging, animation, dynamic features.. at least for now..

I think its just some sort of uber fast render engine.. but I'll have to play with it before I can talk more about it.. maybe its not so nice at it seems..

For the time being I'll just stick with Houdini... :wub:

• Advanced Member

well, I think that Clarisse is software that is in the same register as Fusion, this is in no way a software 3d.

the goal is to import your scenes or objects and do compositing and rendering and can be mixed in the 3d and 2d

it's true that with Blender we need anything else.

++

Chris

• Advanced Member

I agree with Phil, demos show off what it can do but what it can't do makes it useless. VRay has a realtime renderer thats already kicking butt. I work with some engineers that can show non-deforming super high rez geo in their engine already. Thats not hard, animation is hard, deformation is hard, binding rigging morphing... that can't be done so easily. Unreal is also full of sneaky demos of "what amazing things you can do!!!" but when you discover the tech its limited they are very good at showing what can be done and hiding what can't.

• Advanced Member

I said Clarisse is not a 3d soft like Maya or Max, but a pushed compositing software in the same spirit that Fusion,

in any productions, 3D renderings are always composited for better integration into the scene, it allows you to add different effects to rework the light ... etc.

no raw images 3d is used in a workflow in a production! it's very rare that a raw image is used as such.

So obviously there will not function as character animation, 3D modeling as Phil said, but I think there will be particles and dynamics integrated, because this app is still young and will grow over time...

Fusion : http://www.eyeonline...6_Features.aspx

another video of Clarisse

http://youtu.be/OqlfL0mg-uE

++Chris

• Advanced Member

Yes particles and dynamics integrated is the next step b/c its far easier to implement than deforming geometry.

There are plenty on competing product to this already. Katana is already a production tool that does this http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/articles/2010/06/29/31/katana/ created and used by Sony ImageWorks and used at many other studios. The demands on a renderer are so high right now no realtime solution would work simplest example, motion blur. Thats used in almost every final render, and in realtime? Terrible across the board.

Vray renders when properly setup with on set HDRI's can almost A over B into comp. Its so close to perfect, I've seen lighters get comp finals on Real Steel. Arnold, VRay, Renderman, and less and less Mental Ray are the main renderers. Maxwell, Turtle, and others like them are kinda here and there being tested. Realtime solutions always create hacks to get the visual quality. Physically based rendering cannot be short cut into realtime. It can look neat but its not going to be a production tool for a long time, not b/c they guy dev'ing it are not smart, but b/c the engineering walls they will have to keep surmounting will continue to get in their way, while production renderers will be pushing the other direction already with a users base and lots of money coming in the door.

• 2 years later...
  • Advanced Member

I wouldn't complain at 3hrs/frame - here at SIGGRAPH just saw the making of Guardians of the Galaxy and with their crazy hardware the sky battle scenes were averaging 9-12 hrs with some frames peaking at 16hr each!

;)

Edited by popwfx

• 3 weeks later...

Double Negative has purchased a global site license of Clarisse iFX

August 11, 2014 -
MONTPELLIER, FRANCE – Isotropix, a privately held software company developing high-end innovative graphics software is pleased to announce that Double Negative (Dneg), one of the world's leading visual effects studios, has purchased a global site license of Clarisse iFX and CNode (Clarisse's command-line rendering engine dedicated to render farms).

From now on, Double Negative will use Clarisse as its main look development, lighting and rendering application for its London, Singapore and soon to open Vancouver facilities.

• Advanced Member

I think some people missed the point of clarisse. Its not meant to replace your 3d app. ( as said, you should look at it kinda like fusion/nuke, with more 3d features).

But really the most awesome thing that this can do. Is create MASSIVE environments, that you can see in near real time.

animations and simulations obviously should be done in other apps, and then brought in here with alembic, which is a near flawless way to transfer geometry and particles between apps.

That damn volume rendering alone i think might make it worth the 1k. price tag. Along with handling massive environments.

• Advanced Member

I think some people missed the point of clarisse. Its not meant to replace your 3d app. ( as said, you should look at it kinda like fusion/nuke, with more 3d features).

But really the most awesome thing that this can do. Is create MASSIVE environments, that you can see in near real time.

animations and simulations obviously should be done in other apps, and then brought in here with alembic, which is a near flawless way to transfer geometry and particles between apps.

That damn volume rendering alone i think might make it worth the 1k. price tag. Along with handling massive environments.

I got to talk to the owner/author of Clarisse at Siggraph; he did a massive demo scale with billions of polys then showed me the shit lenovo laptop he was running it on.

As for animation it takes Alembic..

• Reputable Contributor

Is it a compositing app or basically a rendering app...which is what it seems like to me. Seems more like a MachStudio type of app, which went under a few years ago. The problem was it was limited to importing assets and setting up materials, lighting and such. A finishing app. But most 3D apps do that quite well, and thus there is no demand for an app that does more of the same.

• Advanced Member

Is it a compositing app or basically a rendering app...which is what it seems like to me. Seems more like a MachStudio type of app, which went under a few years ago. The problem was it was limited to importing assets and setting up materials, lighting and such. A finishing app. But most 3D apps do that quite well, and thus there is no demand for an app that does more of the same.

Also I have to say, I'm not all that crazy about Clarisse as a  renderer, particularly as Renderman 19 will be free and Vray 3 is going to be unreal.

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Reputable Contributor

I have Vray 2 and decided not to upgrade to 3 because its RT (Interactive) module is solid, but very limited in many areas. No SSS, Procedural Materials/Maps, and no Volumetric/Post Effects. I bought a seat of Thea, instead. GPU/CPU hybrid, uses CUDA and Intel Embree raytracing kernels...biased and unbiased models. It's Interactive mode, called Presto, supports SSS, Procedural maps and it's own volumetric effects. It's Presto (GPU/CPU engine) is a production render mode as well. VRay doesn't have GPU capability for it's production renderer. So, it is further ahead of the game, technology-wise, than VRay, but everybody's buying into the VRay hype. It's a good renderer, for sure, but not worth all the hype, IMHO.

But getting back to Clarisse...that looks nice and all, but it just doesn't seem to offer anything new, and CG History has not been kind to partial 3D apps. Mach Studio Pro and Messiah are two examples that readily come to mind. They need to better explain just what the benefit is of splitting ones work across yet another CG app. Is it because it's a compositor that can compete with Fusion and Nuke, but with better 3D capabilities? Kind of like Nuke with VRay? They haven't clarified it's role in the CG pipeline. Why would I want to export/send my scene over to it, just to render it out? Stand alone renderers are not doing well in this industry. They have to offer integrated plugins to other 3D apps.

This old 2012 article is clear about, same this 2013 one

Rarely do companies seriously attempt to change the way we traditionally work in visual effects, but French start-up Isotropix, with its product Clarisse iFX, is attempting just that. Clarisse iFX aims to change the way CGI pipelines work, via one central mantra: reduce the amount of time from any interaction to the machine starting to render final images. It wants minimum time to first pixel output in any situation.

Doble Negative adding it to their pipeline ? :blink:

was a surprise for me. :wacko:

Anyway... primary looks as VUE killer -from my pov-

price is very competitive

• Advanced Member

i agree it being a vue killer, but really for anything require a large number of objects, like city animations. for example.

i have had this personal project on the back burner for years, i think nearly half a decade.

but the idea of doing a realistic render of this has always seemed like waaay too much work for me. And the render times seemed ridiculous.

Now with clarisse i think it might be realistic to do this as a personal project.

here is a video that kinda shows what i want to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJnidJt7zf4#t=119

this is something c4c would absolutely choke on.

Edited by Aleksey

• Reputable Contributor

This old 2012 article is clear about, same this 2013 one

Rarely do companies seriously attempt to change the way we traditionally work in visual effects, but French start-up Isotropix, with its product Clarisse iFX, is attempting just that. Clarisse iFX aims to change the way CGI pipelines work, via one central mantra: reduce the amount of time from any interaction to the machine starting to render final images. It wants minimum time to first pixel output in any situation.

Doble Negative adding it to their pipeline ? :blink:

was a surprise for me. :wacko:

Anyway... primary looks as VUE killer -from my pov-

price is very competitive

It's starting to grow on me....the fact that it added high end volumetric rendering on top of all this VUE-like capability, is very reasonable

http://www.fxguide.com/fxguidetv/fxguidetv-193-everything-siggraph/

• 1 year later...

Clarisse iFX 3.0 released!

We are very happy to announce the immediate release of Clarisse iFX 3.0.

Every area of Clarisse 3.0 workflow has been improved to bring the best all-in-one rendering experience ever to date. This new major version delivers many new and innovative features as well as a large number of enhancements throughout the entire application such as:
  • A brand new Physically Based Rendering (PBR) embodied in a new rendering engine, new sets of materials, lights and volume shaders all supporting multiple importance sampling (MIS)
  • A complete set of UV baking tools supporting UDIM, UVTiles and AOVs output.
  • New scattering and layout tools along with importance-driven textured point cloud generation.
  • New scriptable pattern generation using Open Shading Language (OSL).
  • Improved Color Management and support for CDL and many user interface improvements.

More information available here:
http://www.isotropix.com/clarisse3

About Clarisse:
Clarisse is a new breed of high-end 2D/3D animation software which is the fusion of an animation package, a compositing software and a 3d rendering engine. It has been designed to streamline the workflow of CG artists to let them work and constantly interact on their final image with full effects on. Clarisse is used in production by world leading studios such as Double Negative, Industrial Light & Magic or WETA Digital as well as mid-sized to small CG studios around the world! Just in 2015, Clarisse has been rendering images in feature films such as Insurgent, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-man, Mission Impossible 5, Spectre, Bridge of Spies, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2 and Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Clarisse 3.0 at Siggraph 2016:
Come by booth #367 to meet up with the Isotropix Team and enjoy presentations covering Clarisse 3.0 latest developments!

Drop by and catch on with the tons of new features offered by our freshly release of Clarisse!

In addition to all the great presentations hosted on our booth, the Isotropix Team will provide tech demonstrations of Clarisse 3.0 throughout the entire exhibition. Feel free to drop by to experience in live Clarisse powerful new features!

http://www.isotropix.com/news/event...x-booth-program
  • Like 2