3DCoat Forums

3D model from Photos

• 5 weeks later...

Did this ever get released? I submitted my email a while back for the 50% off deal, but never heard from them?

Hi 3DCoatWannabe, I'm sorry if you didn't received the 50%off deal. Can you forward all related emails to info@photosculpt.net ? I'll check into that for you.

• Advanced Member

Hi 3DCoatWannabe, I'm sorry if you didn't received the 50%off deal. Can you forward all related emails to info@photosculpt.net ? I'll check into that for you.

Ok, I just sent an email to you with '3dCoatWannabe' in the subject. Hopefully it's not getting blocked for some reason?

BTW - it's been months since I thought about this, and I've lost track of what's happening with the product.

Would anyone who has purchased this neat tool chime in with your experiences?

Has it met expectations?

• 1 month later...

Hello guys!

I've just scanned the article from Ed Ricketts last month in the 3D World magazine !

He's reviewing PhotoSculpt Textures for the first time.

And the article is really good and professional! :clapping::yahoo::drinks:

3dWorld-photosculpt-medres.jpg

http://www.photosculpt.net/blog/2010/7/10/read-now-the-full-article-from-3d-world.html

What do you think about it?

post-2450-12787720339044_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Free 3D textures :clapping: samples anyone? I've droped some that I created using Photosculpt Textures.

materials.JPG

Click on the link below to download the maps (or to create your own today using the 30 day trial of the software).

http://www.photosculpt.net/blog/2010/9/1/the-best-quality-seamless-tileable-3d-textures-ever.html

PhotoSculpt could be an invaluable companion application for 3D-Coat. Especially since it exports a model, in addition to the texture maps. However, a complete union of the two programs would require some tweaking on the part of either of their programming staffs.

But, as it exists today, PhotoSculpt models could be imported for AUTOPO or just imported as a basis to start sculpting in voxel space, and taken to a production ready model very quickly in 3D-Coat.

As was displayed in their video that dealt with an actual human sculpture, it can be observed that the profile proportions, (as seen in the nose profile), are not totally accurate. This is where 3D-Coat voxel sculpting could quickly correct and improve upon these deficiencies. Once corrected, running AUTOPO, merging into the scene with Ptex, adding texture maps and other original texture features - then rendering a still or turntable animation would produce a finished product in record time. Really interesting.

Greg Smith

PhotoSculpt could be an invaluable companion application for 3D-Coat. Especially since it exports a model, in addition to the texture maps. However, a complete union of the two programs would require some tweaking on the part of either of their programming staffs.

But, as it exists today, PhotoSculpt models could be imported for AUTOPO or just imported as a basis to start sculpting in voxel space, and taken to a production ready model very quickly in 3D-Coat.

As was displayed in their video that dealt with an actual human sculpture, it can be observed that the profile proportions, (as seen in the nose profile), are not totally accurate. This is where 3D-Coat voxel sculpting could quickly correct and improve upon these deficiencies. Once corrected, running AUTOPO, merging into the scene with Ptex, adding texture maps and other original texture features - then rendering a still or turntable animation would produce a finished product in record time. Really interesting.

Greg Smith

Thanks Greg for sharing this very interresting technical point of view.

Burning Question to all 3D Coat users:

I'm thinking of an additional other use of Photosculpt, it's for creating some texture tool for 3D coat.

Like the Photoshop stamp tool for image only, I was thinking of a stamp tool for image + depth.

Furthermore I'm thinking of having it Rotatable and tiltable. I'm the lucky owner of an intuos wacom tablet + the so called 6D art pen (full degrees of freedom inclusive rotation) I would love to see that implemented.

Photosculpt textures provides depth map so it would be easy to use this map as sculpt tool.

What do you think?

• Advanced Member

Hippolyte...sounds intriguing and could have great potential! I would think the toughest part would be

creating high-quality masking (the photographer could have some means of helping in this regard with how

they took the initial picture---background color choice, for instance) such that the stamps were clearly

'removed' from the photo's background. I would imagine some additional means/tools to control the mask

placement itself would probably be handy to have for the user.

Hippolyte:

Sounds interesting, but I can't really visualize what you're trying to describe. Can you graphically present this idea? Or, expand upon your explanation?

Greg Smith

Sorry for not replying sooner. I'll do an image when I get the time.

My idea is to use a "rolling stamp" to create a lot of 3d textures in minimal time. My ideal workflow would be:

- spacenavigator in left hand (rotates model)

- intuos 6D art pen in right hand (full rotation of tool in 3d space, with preview on screen, and pressure sensitivity)

That tool MUST be using TWO (2) images as source:

- RGB diffuse seamless tileable texture map

- corresponding depth seamless tileable texture map (high resolution needed, same size as rgb)

Both images can be done fast, easily but also with highest photorealistic quality with Photosculpt (less than 10 minutes with extremely high resolution results) without manual rework needed.

With this setup I can texture an entire Castle in no time, no UV or anything to worry.

Hoping that makes sense?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I'm looking forward to the next release of PhotoSculpt!

The free texture's on your blog look good. It would be cool if there could be a preview tab that could show similar results inside the program.

With a shader supported (hlsl,glsl) preview window, we could preview the color, AO, spec, and normal maps with shadows and maybe even a reflective ground.

Sorry for not replying sooner. I'll do an image when I get the time.

My idea is to use a "rolling stamp" to create a lot of 3d textures in minimal time. My ideal workflow would be:

- spacenavigator in left hand (rotates model)

- intuos 6D art pen in right hand (full rotation of tool in 3d space, with preview on screen, and pressure sensitivity)

That tool MUST be using TWO (2) images as source:

- RGB diffuse seamless tileable texture map

- corresponding depth seamless tileable texture map (high resolution needed, same size as rgb)

Both images can be done fast, easily but also with highest photorealistic quality with Photosculpt (less than 10 minutes with extremely high resolution results) without manual rework needed.

With this setup I can texture an entire Castle in no time, no UV or anything to worry.

Hoping that makes sense?

Hippolyte, 3d Coat is already extremely good/fast at using textures from photosculpt. If you wouldn't mind some well-intentioned feedback, it's that certain UI elements make Photosculpt maddening to use if you're trying to process a large batch of photos you've taken.

Photosculpt is an excellent resource, and one we're planning on incorporating into our pipeline, but some minor tweaks could dramatically improve usability.

1. Having to click each tab (depth, spec, diffuse) one at a time, and export each texture individually (including naming it) is annoying, particularly since it takes a bit of processing time even on my 4Ghz i7 to switch to each texture. Having an "export" button where you can flag which textures you want exported, give a root name, a target directory, and a customizable suffix per pass as a save-able option would be wonderful.

Edit: Just realized you already had this, I just hadn't noticed it before...

2. Each time you finish a texture, you need to manually clear the model, then manually clear each texture. Having a "clear" button would be really nice to do this in one step.

3. Caching results when you've looked at a tab would help. The wait each time you click a tab, even if you've already been to that tab is frustrating.

4. Allow the tiling radius to be tune-able. Sometimes I find a texture I really like, but because the tiling range is preset, with large textures you get a really abrupt transition from one tile to the next. I'd like to be able to tune the rate at which the wrap blends from one tile to the next.

5. Please put material samples on your website into zip files or somesuch, having to download each texture one at a time is tedious.

We're still learning how to use your demo, and our results have certainly been hit-or-miss. We believe a lot of this is that the range of successful shots is a reasonable but relatively narrow band (i.e. angle of shot, fov of shot, distance you take the shot, ambient lighting, etc). This would be a lot less problematic if we could take a lot more images, and process them more quickly as we could take a more shotgun approach, and then as our skills improve, refine our shot selection at the time we take the photos better.

Congratulations on your well deserved success so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Hippolyte, 3d Coat is already extremely good/fast at using textures from photosculpt. If you wouldn't mind some well-intentioned feedback, it's that certain UI elements make Photosculpt maddening to use if you're trying to process a large batch of photos you've taken.

Photosculpt is an excellent resource, and one we're planning on incorporating into our pipeline, but some minor tweaks could dramatically improve usability.

1. Having to click each tab (depth, spec, diffuse) one at a time, and export each texture individually (including naming it) is annoying, particularly since it takes a bit of processing time even on my 4Ghz i7 to switch to each texture. Having an "export" button where you can flag which textures you want exported, give a root name, a target directory, and a customizable suffix per pass as a save-able option would be wonderful.

Edit: Just realized you already had this, I just hadn't noticed it before...

2. Each time you finish a texture, you need to manually clear the model, then manually clear each texture. Having a "clear" button would be really nice to do this in one step.

3. Caching results when you've looked at a tab would help. The wait each time you click a tab, even if you've already been to that tab is frustrating.

4. Allow the tiling radius to be tune-able. Sometimes I find a texture I really like, but because the tiling range is preset, with large textures you get a really abrupt transition from one tile to the next. I'd like to be able to tune the rate at which the wrap blends from one tile to the next.

5. Please put material samples on your website into zip files or somesuch, having to download each texture one at a time is tedious.

We're still learning how to use your demo, and our results have certainly been hit-or-miss. We believe a lot of this is that the range of successful shots is a reasonable but relatively narrow band (i.e. angle of shot, fov of shot, distance you take the shot, ambient lighting, etc). This would be a lot less problematic if we could take a lot more images, and process them more quickly as we could take a more shotgun approach, and then as our skills improve, refine our shot selection at the time we take the photos better.

Thanks !

1. You're right it's done already. note for other users: It's called "save multiple" you can save multiple maps (like normal + displace or specular + diffuse+ao, whatever you need), multiple 3d models and multiple resolutions all in one step. I use that function most of the time.

Note it's missing a progress bar while saving. I didn't had time to implement that the last time.

2. Good catch "clear all" option is an idea! :good:

3. That's another good idea. (I'm not too bothered with this as I usually don't preview maps before saving. I use save all and I know the job is done)

4. We have that already. It's called "Frame + and frame -" in the croping window. Try it for yourself? The function name you gave (Tiling radius) is a good name. Do you think I need to change the name into tiling radius?

5. oops, sorry about that :nea: . Thanks for the feed back! It's easy to do for me. :good:

Many thanks for your feed-back. It's also very well explained. I'll see what I can do. Note I can't promise I'll do it quickly as I'm very busy.

It's good to hear that you may be a Photosculpt custommer soon! Thanks! :drinks:

Hippolyte, 3d Coat is already extremely good/fast at using textures from photosculpt.

Can you please give more detail (on how you use PhotoSculpt with 3D Coat)? Other users who are reading this post may like to have your feed back.

Can you post some images / artwork ? Thank you in advance! :clapping:

Hippolyte, 3d Coat is already extremely good/fast at using textures from photosculpt.

5. Job done :good: see it here: http://www.photosculpt.net/blog/2010/10/7/download-our-free-textures-10-pack.html

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Photosculpt has now a free update available, it's now v1.03 .

I think it's a really good update and I recommend it for all users to download :clapping: .

http://www.photosculpt.net/blog/2010/10/21/new-features-in-photosculpt-v103.html

PhotoSculpt Textures v1.03 main new features:

* Added 2 new bump map tabs

* Full tif and png support

* 16bit tif export/import for depth maps

* Better seamless tileable with better perspective croping

* New edit mode to align features manually (experimental, see it in pay version: menu/?/laboratory)

* New closed mesh mode mainly targeted at voxel painting users like 3D coat (experimental)

* New sharpness control while sculpting (experimental)

* Improved performance, stability, memory handling

and more.

(follow the link above to browse hyperlinks for more details)

As per your request :good: I added this function: "New closed mesh mode mainly targeted at voxel painting users like 3D coat (experimental)"

laboratory-closed.jpg

What do you think about this new version? :D

2. Tsominlg, it's now done.

Thanks for asking ! :good:

• 2 months later...

http://www.3dsom.com/features/whatsnew.html

competition makes full 3d meshes...

Thanks for the info. Photogrammetry softwares are moving fast forward now. Innovation and new ideas will be needed urgently for survival. Example: Have you seen this cool kinekt sensor (nov 2010) used for 3D modelling recently?

http://www.photosculpt.net/blog/2010/11/18/microsoft-xbox360-kinect-sensor-to-read-3d.html

Can't wait to see the same for the nintendo 3DS due to release next month in Europe. (witch features 2 cameras and a 3D screen without glasses)

I've seen a lot of kinect hacks lately. The video you mention is not available anymore.

It would be soooo cool if you rebuilt your soft to be used with more than two pictures!

Oops, true, the video is just gone :angry: . Well I think you get the idea: the Microsoft Kinekt can scan things in 3D. (Well right now it's still a bit crude)

Thanks for mentionning.

I made some real cool 8) progress in many ways recently with Photosculpt. I can't wait to share this! :yahoo:

Using more than 2 pictures: As I said earlier it's something that's really hard to do. It will take some time to complete, but my plan is to go there step by step.

My goal is to propose improvements to the Photosculpt community that will pave the way and do the "360°" all automatically in the future :rofl:

FYI: So far I made 2 prototypes that I'll make available to the community soon (will be freely available in menu/?/laboratory)

1. The first one simply combines 2 sculpts together using 3 photos :good: . Target is to improve the sculpt. It's not yet fully functionnal as the gain is not optimum yet.

2. The second one computes 3D camera positions of your sculpt :good: . That means you can now generate tiny camera references in 3D and stich obj files "by hand" more accurately and easily as you know where the cameras are.

In addition to this,

1. I added a new perspective correction based on focal length :good: (from either jpg Exif data :good: or manual input)

2. I added the selection by lasso tool :good:

3. I added command lines for sculpting in batches :good:

4. I added multithreading :good: and a major general performance boost :good: (My internal release Photosculpt v1.06 now computes a 12 mpix in 2 minutes instead of 4 minutes)!

note:

All these requests have been "voted-for" by Photosculpt users here http://photosculpt.uservoice.com/forums/44549-improve-photosculpt-textures-software-by-voting-no

Anyone, don't hesitate to contribute by voting too. I may use some help from testers soon too. ;) Just ask me.

Please Send me the update when youre ready ok?

That's cool! thanks for your help. I'm leaving for a business trip next week all week. I do my best to send you by mail the link to the executable today or tomorrow. You'll be the first to try this new version. ;)

Best