3DCoat Forums

3D model from Photos

Yeah really some are just awful. Some others required weird paper with special markings all around. It would be nice to just be out with my camera and see something interesting, snap a couple pics of it, then when I get home make a decent high res mesh. That's why i asked this guy to see wireframes. I was impressed to see the multi-resolutions it has, aside from the high amount of detail.

• Advanced Member

Great, yet another way to look goofy to joe public. Not only will I be taking a picture of an awesome rock wall, but I will be doing it in 20 degree increments. :D

I'm intrigued by this, hopefully it works well and not really expensive. It could be a nice companion to 3DC.

• Advanced Member
I love to see this technologies grow... I'm wondering why I didn't took stereoscopic photos of every place in my last years trips...

Same here. If PhotoSculpt works well and does not cost me an arm and a leg, then I'll be planning a few photography trips. :yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...

Same here. If PhotoSculpt works well and does not cost me an arm and a leg, then I'll be planning a few photography trips. :yahoo:

Hi 3d artist, Hi Phil, (I think we know each other?)

my name is Hippolyte from Photosculpt.net, and creator of the photosculpt software.

I was "googling" around when I saw this post.

Mosconariz, 3d artist, you are right, I think exactly the same as you.

I should have shot many many things twice instead of just once during my previous trips.

Philnolan, to your price question. The price will never be as high as $1200 as you suggested as the software was designed for regular 3d modellers or texture painters.

I know the other packages at 1000+ but that's too expensive/complicated/cumbersome that nobody buys that. That's not the market I'm interrested in.

Photosculpt uses only 2 photos but is lightweight, fast, easy to learn, and it generates unpreceded high 3d detail.

Getting such high definition models within a minute is very exciting, believe me, and fun.

3d artist, you said "It could be a nice companion to 3DC." I soo agree with you and I really hope you'll like the software!

Please check my new photos and videos (now 70 photos and 25 videos).

I'm now showing the interface and I'm detailing functions too on the web site.

www.photosculpt.net

There are some free seamless tileable textures too.

So now you can see for yourself how it matches your need?

Don't hesitate to ask if any questions?

Hi Hippolyte, Yes, You know me from the other forum. I hope you understand I wasn't really serious about the $1200 comment.

Ha ha, I agree that's too expensive. I hope everyone is now relaxed it won't be that expensive. ;)

Thanks for posting this forum by the way! That really help me to get feed-back about my software.

I have many questions about 3d coat, and many testing that I'd like to perform. Can someone help?

I have many questions about 3d coat, and many testing that I'd like to perform. Can someone help?

Well You can of course ask any questions here on the forum. You could also drop me a line if you like at phil (at) philnolan3d (dot) com , I can't answer everything but I can try. I'm sure others would be willing to answer questions as well.

There are lots of video tutorials available here: http://www.3d-coat.com/tutorial/

• Advanced Member

Thanks Hippolyte for posting here. And thanks for the free textures, I have been playing with them a little in 3D-Coat and they work pretty well.

Do you think you could have a few models for download also?

As for usability with 3D-Coat voxel sculpting, merging a model into voxel sculpting requires the model to be closed. There is a "Make Closed" feature in 3DC but I do not have a model from PhotoSculpt to test. If all works well, a PhotoSculpt object can be used as a 3d "stamp" for sculpting.

I was looking at the crop options for PhotoSculpt and was wondering if you would consider adding Lens correction options. (i.e. Lens Correction in Photoshop, Lens Distortion in Gimp)

Maybe that would help wide-angle photos calculate more accurately?

I look forward to testing you software. :good:

Thanks Hippolyte for posting here. And thanks for the free textures, I have been playing with them a little in 3D-Coat and they work pretty well.

Do you think you could have a few models for download also?

As for usability with 3D-Coat voxel sculpting, merging a model into voxel sculpting requires the model to be closed. There is a "Make Closed" feature in 3DC but I do not have a model from PhotoSculpt to test. If all works well, a PhotoSculpt object can be used as a 3d "stamp" for sculpting.

I was looking at the crop options for PhotoSculpt and was wondering if you would consider adding Lens correction options. (i.e. Lens Correction in Photoshop, Lens Distortion in Gimp)

Maybe that would help wide-angle photos calculate more accurately?

I look forward to testing you software. :good:

Thanks on your feed back about the textures.

-I need to make some models, this is planned, but I also have a lot of work before that, they won't be ready before next week. Can you wait?

-Closed model: I didn't knew that, interesting. All my models are "open" today, like a one dimensional sheet of paper.

Let's give it a try with the close function?

-By the way is a textured obj file ok?

-Do you know if there is an object size limit within 3dcoat?

-3D stamp : that's a really cool idea :good:

-Can you define a depth map as a brush? Can you combine it with a color map in order to paint RGB and Z together?

-lens correction option : you want to correct lens distortion in order to have a better calculation of wide angle photos, is this right? That's done already, thanks for asking. FYI I use mostly a 24mm lens

-Closed model: I didn't knew that, interesting. All my models are "open" today, like a one dimensional sheet of paper.

Let's give it a try with the close function?

-By the way is a textured obj file ok?

-Do you know if there is an object size limit within 3dcoat?

-3D stamp : that's a really cool idea :good:

-Can you define a depth map as a brush? Can you combine it with a color map in order to paint RGB and Z together?

For importing as voxels it must be closed, for paint / retopo / UV open is fine. Just wanted to be sure that was clear.

OBJ file should be just fine though of course the texture will not come i using voxels.

If you're importing to voxels there is basically no size limit for importing. The painting room gets very slow if you import dense models, but if you look under File > Import you'll see options for importing "Big Mesh" and "Reference Mesh". The help resolve that.

3D objects can also be imported as a brush, just like any other brush, but a small window pops up for creating a brush from the 3D object.

Yes 3DC brushes are a special Photoshop PSD file that contains layers for color, depth, specularity, and eraser.

For importing as voxels it must be closed, for paint / retopo / UV open is fine. Just wanted to be sure that was clear.

OBJ file should be just fine though of course the texture will not come i using voxels.

If you're importing to voxels there is basically no size limit for importing. The painting room gets very slow if you import dense models, but if you look under File > Import you'll see options for importing "Big Mesh" and "Reference Mesh". The help resolve that.

3D objects can also be imported as a brush, just like any other brush, but a small window pops up for creating a brush from the 3D object.

Yes 3DC brushes are a special Photoshop PSD file that contains layers for color, depth, specularity, and eraser.

PSD? that's interesting, maybe one day we could convert PhotoSculpt files into 3DC brush? Does that makes sense? Would it work on a tileable texture? Can someone send me one of those?

PSD? that's interesting, maybe one day we could convert PhotoSculpt files into 3DC brush? Does that makes sense? Would it work on a tileable texture? Can someone send me one of those?

Sure here is one of the brushes I made to texture one of my early

. You just have to keep the layer names the same.

SkinPen02.zip

Sure here is one of the brushes I made to texture one of my early

. You just have to keep the layer names the same.

Cool Philnolan! :yahoo::drinks: this is exactly what I expected. I should be fairly easy to convert photosculpt .sculpt files to .psd 3d coat tools.

My .sculpt format from PhotoScupt is simple. It is just a renamed zip file witch contains 3 images. Diffuse, normal and depth. That's all. I intend to post that info onto the web site soon. A good programmer could write a script to read that and convert to a psd brush. :good: Hoping that makes sense?

I'm sending a sample. When opened it pops up in 3d in PhotoSculpt.stone.zip

juanmanuel, I'm sorry, only 2 images in the current version, you cannot make a 360° object :pardon: . On the good side 2 images only has a lot of benefits too: very high detail, really simple for the photographer, simple uv, much less time processing, no seams ...

Maybe an idea for the future?

Hi Hyppolyte, just a question, I don't know if it makes sense or not.

Can more than 2 images be used to create the model, or is it restricted to using two images to generate the model?

Right now only 2 photos.

• Advanced Member

Right now only 2 photos.

Ok.

While creating a 360° model would be fantastic, I was thinking more of using more than 2 images to further refine the result. To get some tricky parts that don't get quite right because something is in the way, etc. But so far, it is amazing the results you are getting with just two images. :)

Ok.

While creating a 360° model would be fantastic, I was thinking more of using more than 2 images to further refine the result. To get some tricky parts that don't get quite right because something is in the way, etc. But so far, it is amazing the results you are getting with just two images. :)

Thanks!

Well I think exactly like you, but it's very difficult to do.

Let me explain:

2 images is cool because it's more simple from an algorithm point of view. There is a lot of optimisation that can be done.

My first prototype used to run a night long for just a small 306x408 image, now it's 10 seconds for the same image. It's because I found direct shortcuts to improve time and detail. And I 'm sure it can be even improved further.

The result is fast, ultra sharp, use reasonable memory, so it's cool and easy for texture work, with simple uv without seams, with also simple 3d model it's just a grid.

So I thought there really was a market only for 2 images and I made PhotoSculpt Textures. :yahoo:

I'm optimistic, more than 2 images may be possible one day, that can be the future of PhotoSculpt.

But I have no plan/no solution for that today sorry, thanks for asking! :good:

Hoping this made sense?

• 2 weeks later...