3DCoat Forums

Manual For New Curve Functions

I recently encountered some behaviour I did not expect when using the new curve tool. I wanted to create a shape where I start making the curve in the middle of the shape. I created new nodes starting from the middle, then moving toward one end. I, then, wanted to start making a new part of the curve that continued the curve going in the other direction, with the first node, now the middle node, as its source. I know that you can simply click on the middle node and drag out to form a new branch, but these types of branches do not curve, but are actually independent straight line segments from the node you drag from. I could find no way to begin a new curved segment from a random node point. If you single left click on any node to select it, you get the transform manipulator which prohibits you from single left clicking away from that node to create a new curved segment. So, basically, I'm lost or I have discovered a flaw in the curve tool.

There needs to be a convenient way to start a new curved segment from any randomly selected curve node - not only straight line segments. Once this function is added, it would probably merit making a short manual of some kind that details the many uses and functions of the curve tool, since it is one of the most complicated and powerful ones in the program.

Greg Smith

Andrew:

Try this: set 3 nodes, click, click, click - from left to right. Now, if you go back to the first node and drag out a "branch", it connects to the first node in a different way than the other 2 - it is a straight line segment and it makes a different "weld" as it joins that node.

True, you can drag out a node, at random, from any other node, but the joint is always different than a "curved" joint, which flows from node to node. When you left click and drag out any new node, the transition is not smooth from the original node to the dragged out node.

I think that there should be an option to left click a "target" node, (or right click), and then single left click from that randomly picked node to place a new, curved and "flowing" node - eliminating the abrupt transition, (weld), that occurs when you left click and drag out a new node.

Thanks,

Greg Smith

• 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Andrew:

Try this: set 3 nodes, click, click, click - from left to right. Now, if you go back to the first node and drag out a "branch", it connects to the first node in a different way than the other 2 - it is a straight line segment and it makes a different "weld" as it joins that node.

True, you can drag out a node, at random, from any other node, but the joint is always different than a "curved" joint, which flows from node to node. When you left click and drag out any new node, the transition is not smooth from the original node to the dragged out node.

I think that there should be an option to left click a "target" node, (or right click), and then single left click from that randomly picked node to place a new, curved and "flowing" node - eliminating the abrupt transition, (weld), that occurs when you left click and drag out a new node.

Thanks,

Greg Smith

This is true. You can't add any points to the curve itself without adding the points to the middle and dragging the sides out.

http://www.screencast.com/t/N2JjZjc1

As you can see, you can't go back to a curve and extrude as easily as before.