3DCoat Forums

vox sculpts

Yearoftheox

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replys, sorry for not replying sooner, my computer's fubar'd atm. still waiting on a new harddrive/os to arrive. I tried upgrading to the newest version before my difficulties, but it did not solve the shader problem. I'm goiing to be doing a clean install when i'm up and running again, see if it solves the problem.

ok.... I have a question, now that i've done a clean install, on a new system, I get to start the trial period over again, so I went back to revisit some older projects, try out the export options, to see how it works. I tried exporting my 'marine' sculpt, but It did'nt export correctly. My normal map lost its details, trying to figure it out, I discovered that when I 'merged with normal map (pp), my normals got baked to the 'Normalmap' layer of my texture, but when painting my texture, (with normal, diffuse and spec turned on), they went to the 'diffuse' layer I was painting on. (example pictured.)

I assumed the normals I painted were assigned to the normal map layer. Obviously not. How can I combine the normal information in my diffuse layer with the baked normals in my normal map layer.

post-2190-0-49781100-1332094010_thumb.jp

• Advanced Member

Hi there. Never had problems with normal baking in 3dc.

On your screen-shot the texture don't look like a tangent space normal.

Is it also part of your problem? Did you tweaked the baking options or directly

used the default one from the retopo room (Bake with NM)?

Hope that you'll find a way to solve your problem.

May be better to ask some help on an other section.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

thxs for the kind words digman.

I started a new project today, but I'm having problems, the normalmap isn't baking correctly. It seems to follow the lowpoly mesh of the blade, instead of baking the highpoly blade.

I've tried baking it several times, but can't get a different result. Anyone have any tips for baking the normal map?

post-2190-0-90015500-1350758903_thumb.jp

• Contributor

Nice weapons!! One observation though, I think there might be too much Local occlusion definitly looking at the axe head out highlight around the blade darker center parts. A little would go a lot further and your textures would look less overblown.

I tried again today to export my marine sculpt from when I first tried 3dcoat. I still cant figure out how to bake the normals from a colour layer to the normal layer of my textures.

(I forgot to thank GarageGrape for replying to my post at the top of the page. Sorry).

to restate my problem... I baked a, 'Merge with NM (Per-Pixel)' marine sculpt to the paint room. I had an ambient occlusion, Normal Map, and diffuse layer. I started Painting my textures (with Depth/Oppacity and spec turned on) on the diffuse layer of my textures. (the hexagon pattern and scratches in the texture). So the depth info is stored on the diffuse layer, not the normal map layer. So when I export the normal map, It only contains the original bake, not the painted normal textures).

So. How can I bake the depth information of the textures to the normal map.

I don't know if I explained my problem any better, But If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

post-2190-0-12501800-1351288954_thumb.jp