3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Automatic hard edges

Taros

Do someone have an idea how to make round edges sharpen?

What I need is a inverted smoothing function. I don't want to smooth an edge, instead I want to make it sharpen.

The angulator and the creasing tool are going into the right direction. My problem is they don't produce correct edges.
Additionally the curve pens are are buggy with the crease tool and produce complete wrong results in my eyes.

The only crease that is working is the one in the general clay tool.

Any ideas?

Example:
post-955-0-72056600-1441206523.jpg

post-955-0-72056600-1441206523_thumb.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

This was brought up as an issue with the Pinch Brush a while back. About the same time Artman worked with Andrew on the Surface mode brushes. The Pinch brush now uses natural angles of convergence, rather than just collapsing verts. Try using the Spline stroke draw mode with the Pinch brush. May have to hold CTRL or click INVERT TOOL ACTION to pinch outward. I think it tries to push/pinch by default.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Hey guys , solution 1 is what Ranger says

Spline stroke draw mode with the Pinch brush. click INVERT TOOL ACTION to pinch outward

Solution 2

Manual brushing with flatten clay from LC and then with a line or spline stroke do chisel.

On Alphas pick one with sharp edges the sharp rectangle for example

Solution 3

helped me a lot of times but its a bit unorthodox 

If you have a cube for example with rounded edges run Curves , go to splines and pick a rectangle or a shape with edges!!!!

Adjust you Curves to get a hard edge where it fits better , make your rotation to fit the overeall shape  and apply.

Bam you have a perfect sharp edge.

Edited by Michaelgdrs
  • Like 1

Thanks Michael and Don. I'm gonna give it a try. :)

Hey guys , solution 1 is what Ranger says

Spline stroke draw mode with the Pinch brush. click INVERT TOOL ACTION to pinch outward

Solution 2

Manual brushing with flatten clay from LC and then with a line or spline stroke do chisel.

On Alphas pick one with sharp edges the sharp rectangle for example

Solution 3

helped me a lot of times but its a bit unorthodox 

If you have a cube for example with rounded edges run Curves , go to splines and pick a rectangle or a shape with edges!!!!

Adjust you Curves to get a hard edge where it fits better , make your rotation to fit the overeall shape  and apply.

Bam you have a perfect sharp edge.

Thank you all for the answers. I have attached an example szene for own testing. Are you so kind and check it?

My results:

1. The curve stroke brush does not work here with my model. It is broken in my eyes. The curve stroke does not work in many tools correctly. I am always working in ortho mode by the way. Even marking elements like in the angulator does not work on all objects with the curve stroke.

The curve stroke is completely unusable currently in the Sculpt room. See the attached shot what happen, when I press the return key when using pinch.

2. Manually brushing works only for free sculpting. It is nothing for technical models, that came from 3D-scans. We are working with 3D-Scans here and expand them in 3D-Coat. The tool must produce as correct results as possible. Free sculpting is unfortunately a "no go" in this situation.

Again: A correct curve stroke brush would help...

3. Very interesting idea but a lot of work and it works not always well in my situation. Too much additional correction.

By the way: 3D-Coat crashed after using Spline tool this way. But I was not able to reproduce it. Before the crash there were mesh holes artefacts  in the voxel object and after I used the inc res button 3DC crashed.

Hm. As long as the curve stroke tool is not fixed all the nice tools like pinch or angulator are unusable for creating really straight / curved lines.

I have to write to Andrew.

Thank you

Chris

post-955-0-69421800-1441264467_thumb.jpg

3dc_makesharpen01.zip

• Like 1

• Contributor

Hey Chris , too bad that didn't work well my friend.

Unfortunately i must agree with all you wrote as those issues many time block my way to quality sculpting.

Will test asap once i go back home.

• Contributor

Had success by doing this

144133219067.jpg 

unfortunately i tried to save and it crashed 3dc.

I also noticed that most of the brushes (chisel , flatten etc etc ) produce very odd results on this model.

If you want i will try again tomorrow i am 26 hours awake and i cant see my nose right now lol

Oh on crash it gives Mesh boolean operation failed Self-intersections.

Edited by Michaelgdrs

Had success by doing this

144133219067.jpg

unfortunately i tried to save and it crashed 3dc.

I also noticed that most of the brushes (chisel , flatten etc etc ) produce very odd results on this model.

If you want i will try again tomorrow i am 26 hours awake and i cant see my nose right now lol

Oh on crash it gives Mesh boolean operation failed Self-intersections.

Thank you buddy. But you don't need to repeat the test. I guess I have all infos at the moment.

• Like 1

Try retopo, add edge loop there, raise it with transform tool (no snap), subdivide, end result is sharp edge. Import to Sculpt Room if needed and merge to original.

Thank you for the proposal. The retopo method is a very good way to do this. But it has big disadvatanges. When you have a bended model you can't just retopo it and set sharp edges. The reason for this is: You can't move vertices along normal direction yet in retopo room. This would solve this challenge.

We have objects that are not symmetrical and with different bended edges on all sides. This makes it really tricky to set a technical correct sharp edge.

But I gave the retopo room another try after your proposal and made some further tests. Your idea pointed me to the "Scale" tool in the retopo room. There it is possible to scale uniform selected edges and this could be the solution for my issue.

Thank you

Chris

• Like 2

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Automatic hard edges