3DCoat Forums

AMD lulled Intel to sleep (CPU market)?

• Reputable Contributor

Looks like AMD is getting back into the game, on the CPU front. I can't help but wonder if they lulled Intel to sleep, by appearing to throw in the towel, publicly...while planning to do a complete revamp of it's CPU architecture. Sounds like this new chip will be on par with Intel Haswell generation CPU's.

http://wccftech.com/amd-officially-reveals-2016-cpu-roadmap-zen-k12/

Zen.jpg

• Advanced Member

Its more like... everyone knew they were working on something and Intel didnt care b/c they also have some aces up their sleeves. We have known for awhile that their "Zen" would use Intel's approach to hyper threading, which is good. Another interesting factor is whether or not Samsung buys them out, which has been the talk recently. Samsung wants them, badly. If that does happen, I think Intel really will have some competition. As far as Intel goes, it seems we are just getting just a bit of what they have. I prefer AMD but use Intel and honestly believe that if AMD drops something great, Intel pulls something better out of their R&D department. It sucks but thats the way its been going.

Currently using their new 5820k CPU btw. It was less out of choice but more by necessity. Its freakishly hard to beat intel at their own game.

• Reputable Contributor

Its more like... everyone knew they were working on something and Intel didnt care b/c they also have some aces up their sleeves. We have known for awhile that their "Zen" would use Intel's approach to hyper threading, which is good. Another interesting factor is whether or not Samsung buys them out, which has been the talk recently. Samsung wants them, badly. If that does happen, I think Intel really will have some competition. As far as Intel goes, it seems we are just getting just a bit of what they have. I prefer AMD but use Intel and honestly believe that if AMD drops something great, Intel pulls something better out of their R&D department. It sucks but thats the way its been going.

Currently using their new 5820k CPU btw. It was less out of choice but more by necessity. Its freakishly hard to beat intel at their own game.

Actually, I don't know that "everyone" did know. They stated publicly about 3yrs ago that they were no longer going to try and compete with Intel on the high-end/enthusiast market. Their CEO publicly capitulated that market segment and said their focus would be on their APU line/budget CPU line and mobile. Intel followed them down that trail with their own GPU on the CPU die. And they've just trickled out the smallest of CPU uprgades, since. Everything AMD has had on the market since 2011 has based on tweaks of the Piledriver core. That tells the public they indeed bowed out of the high-end market. They may have released a little about this Zen the past number of months, but it seems this is the first time we've gotten any details on it.

I'm not sure I'll buy AMD again, but I am all for some serious competition between them and Intel, again. BTW, that 390X sure looks sweet...stacked VRAM and all.

• Reputable Contributor

Atom, Cortex, Tegra... is AMD Zen the new kid in town ?

if yes... the tablet war begin.

No, this is their newest (enthusiast/high-end desktop) CPU, due in Feb 2016. Will be interesting to see where they go with this. AMD has had a changeover in CEO somewhat recently, from what I understand. Since the CPU market grinded to a halt over the past 5yrs or so, I've stopped keeping up with the developments as much as I used to. Not saying they will overtake Intel, but I do think they played possum all this time, to get Intel to slow down the pace of their development, and put more of their dev resources elsewhere. Like energy efficiency and gpus on the CPU die...not raw performance.