3DCoat Forums

3d Coat and T-splines for Reverse Engineering

I am using 3DC just for this purpose. I have a 3D scanner for a small part of my engineering/design business and am finding 3DC very helpful to convert scan data to useful import to SolidWorks. It works very well if not better than expensive coversion software I have demo'd for organic shapes.

But, for geometric shapes, I am still looking for software that will interpolate flat surfaces, cylinders, cones, and smooth curves. The big guys (Rapiform, GeoMagic, etc.) do a stellar job of this but thier $20k price is much more than my small scanning side of my business can justify. I will be researching T-Splines and others but after months of research I havnt found the economical solution.

Thanks for bring this topic up. I am very happy with 3DC for organic shapes and the price for just retopo is worth it by itself.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I am using 3DC just for this purpose. I have a 3D scanner for a small part of my engineering/design business and am finding 3DC very helpful to convert scan data to useful import to SolidWorks. It works very well if not better than expensive coversion software I have demo'd for organic shapes.

But, for geometric shapes, I am still looking for software that will interpolate flat surfaces, cylinders, cones, and smooth curves. The big guys (Rapiform, GeoMagic, etc.) do a stellar job of this but thier $20k price is much more than my small scanning side of my business can justify. I will be researching T-Splines and others but after months of research I havnt found the economical solution.

Thanks for bring this topic up. I am very happy with 3DC for organic shapes and the price for just retopo is worth it by itself.

What you need is Resurf3d

http://www.resurf3d.com/

I'd love to see you try it and then post a video here showing the Scanner -> 3dCoat -> Rhino-> Tsplines -> Resurf3d workflow..

Resurf will nail your tspline or NURBS surfaces to the underlying voxel scan mesh at .005 mm tolerances..

Brazil + Rhino = sublime...

http://wiki.mcneel.com/brazil/shaders