3DCoat Forums

RADEON 390X Enhanced Hawaii XT with 8 GB DDR5 RAM

• Advanced Member

$389.00 

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Even if you're determined to get NVidia this is wonderful news; They're going to drive down prices on the Green Monster.

AMD’s Hawaii is returning with higher clock speeds and double the VRAM. The R9 390X, replacing the R9 290X, will undoubtedly be faster than its predecessor. The higher clock speeds for the GPU core will likely enable the card to completely close the gap with the GTX 970 at 1920×1080. The doubling of memory capacity and the faster GDDR5 VRAM frequencies will enable the card to distance itself even further from the GTX 970 at higher resolutions in which the R9 290X is already ahead.

The fact that Nvidia has yet to show any interest in introducing 8GB versions of its GM204 based GTX 980 and GTX 970 cards means that users who need the higher memory capacity for multi-GPU setups driving high resolution monitors will find solace in the R9 390 series. Combine all of these advantages and $389 for the R9 390X 8GB is actually a worthy proposition. It’s priced close enough to the GTX 970 for users to contemplate moving up to the R9 390X. And it’s noticeably less expensive than the GTX 980 for users to consider the value proposition. A better deal however is perhaps the R9 390 8GB which is even less expensive at $329.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

$389.00 

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Even if you're determined to get NVidia this is wonderful news; They're going to drive down prices on the Green Monster.

AMD’s Hawaii is returning with higher clock speeds and double the VRAM. The R9 390X, replacing the R9 290X, will undoubtedly be faster than its predecessor. The higher clock speeds for the GPU core will likely enable the card to completely close the gap with the GTX 970 at 1920×1080. The doubling of memory capacity and the faster GDDR5 VRAM frequencies will enable the card to distance itself even further from the GTX 970 at higher resolutions in which the R9 290X is already ahead.

The fact that Nvidia has yet to show any interest in introducing 8GB versions of its GM204 based GTX 980 and GTX 970 cards means that users who need the higher memory capacity for multi-GPU setups driving high resolution monitors will find solace in the R9 390 series. Combine all of these advantages and $389 for the R9 390X 8GB is actually a worthy proposition. It’s priced close enough to the GTX 970 for users to contemplate moving up to the R9 390X. And it’s noticeably less expensive than the GTX 980 for users to consider the value proposition. A better deal however is perhaps the R9 390 8GB which is even less expensive at $329.

That is good news. If nothing else, it will push NVidia to match the VRAM levels. 4GB (actually 3.5+ .5) looks pretty paltry next to a card that is as fast or faster, having twice that amount. I'm not buying another Nvidia until they go back to a larger Memory bus, and the CUDA performance is close to double what the GTX 580 is. Been stung by them before, in that regard. Not happening again.

• Reputable Contributor

They only just now came out on the market, and at $700, it is twice the cost of the 390X and still 2GB's short of VRAM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487142&cm_re=gtx_980ti-_-14-487-142-_-Product

• Advanced Member

I dont know much about this, is 8GB actually used in most 3D apps / Games?

They mentioned sli and 4k but for lets say, a regular 1920x1080 monitor, any benefit in having 8GB?

I'm running on a 770 GTX and it's been keeping up so far.

• Reputable Contributor

I dont know much about this, is 8GB actually used in most 3D apps / Games?

They mentioned sli and 4k but for lets say, a regular 1920x1080 monitor, any benefit in having 8GB?

I'm running on a 770 GTX and it's been keeping up so far.

It's critical if you are working with large texture maps and GPU rendering. VRAM is currently the bottleneck in GPU rendering, so yeah....8GB is certainly going to be able to render scenes that a 3-4GB card can't.

• Advanced Member

It's critical if you are working with large texture maps and GPU rendering. VRAM is currently the bottleneck in GPU rendering, so yeah....8GB is certainly going to be able to render scenes that a 3-4GB card can't.

I'm still waiting for the AMD Fiji series with stacked memory instead of     DDR5 RAM.; stacked HBM memory is 9x faster than the fastest DDR5. 

AMDHBM.jpg

It's going to be very interesting to see where we're at by September.

Also, whistling past the graveyard here but have you noticed? Not a whisper about  Quadro Pros or FireGL's.

Can it be? Can we finally have done away with this annoying price differential between pro and gamer GPU cards??

Perhaps they've been forced to do away with this particular swindle by the rush of progress.

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Advanced Member

Having lots of memory is very nice, but with out-of-core textures it's not as critical as it was before.  Using Octane most people have only seen a small drop in performance when using it (5% to 15%).  I suspect having a nice fat PCI pipe would help with this x8 or higher. 

• Advanced Member

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:     :D   http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-fury-fiji-based-graphics-card-msi-pictured-roadmap-radeon-300-series-leaked/

There are a few things that have been confirmed about the Radeon Fury which include the Fiji chip featuring 64 compute units of a total of 4096 stream processors. While we know much about the Radeon 300 series family, we still don’t have any concrete information regarding the Fiji based lineup in regards to their actual specs and their naming schemes. AMD has long been quiet but more and more leaks along with official details are now starting to pop. Just recently at Computex, AMD showed off the Fiji based GPU with HBM that confirmed that the card stacks 4 GB of HBM memory on the interposer along side the GPU core. This shows a 4096-bit wide memory interface that can pump out a total of 512 GB/s bandwidth. Exact clock speeds for the core or the ROP and TMU count are not known  at the moment.

• Advanced Member

Good chart Ancien Regime,

One thing I'm noticing, there's not much difference between a 4GB HBM and 8GB/12GB DDR5 card performance wise.

Look at the performance with the Fury X/CF and the Titan , impressive..

So far with what I've read and charts I've seen, I wouldnt be afraid to pluck down $$ on a Fury X. 4GB doesnt seem to be an issue at all.

Everything is going to come down to price, I'll assume because they only have to put 4GB in it that it's going to help with cost?

My 770GTX is not even on the chart. lol.

Edited by Nossgrr

• Advanced Member

AMD Radeon R9 Fury X Marketing Material Leaked – Revolutionary New Design

The AMD Radeon R9 Fury X will be the latest and greatest graphics card from AMD featuring their new Fiji GPU core which is the first to utilize high-bandwidth memory. We covered the specifications of the card yesterday and found out what really lies beneath the GPU core. The Fiji GPU which measures around 560mm2 is the biggest chip AMD has ever produced but it is also the fastest. Packed inside the Fiji GPU core are 64 Compute Units, each featuring 64 stream processors. After running the numbers, we get a total of 4096 stream cores, 128 raster operation units and 256 texture mapping units. These are insane specifications for a card that is meant to push 4K performance.

The Radeon R9 Fury X also comes packed with HBM along side the GPU die. The GPU and HBM are actually allotted space on an interposer die which measures around 1000mm2. While the complete chip is larger than any previous GPU ever produced, HBM saves a lot of space around the PCB which would otherwise have been taken over by several GDDR5 chips. This leads to significantly smaller PCB and design schemes like the one we have seen in renders, reducing the cost and heat output of flagship graphics cards. The card comes packed with 4 GB of HBM memory that operates along a 4096-bit wide bus interface, clocked at 500 MHz and pumps out 512 GB/s bandwidth. The core clock is maintained at 1050 MHz for reference designs and leads to a total of 8.6 TFlops of FP32 compute performance. AMD has managed to squeeze more performance per watt out of their Fiji GPU compared to their last gen Hawaii GPU that is rated around 28.7 GFlops/W versus 19.4 GFlops/W. The Display outputs include three display ports and a single HDMI connector.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-r9-fury-x-confirmed-official-marketing-material-card-4096bit-wide-memory-interface-hbm/#ixzz3crsNYNG4

• Advanced Member

Thing is this; this could destroy the need for retopo; just  throw down 3 million poly surface meshes or even 20  or 30 million poly meshes and directly paint them and render them.  :p:

Even now I'm able to do that with my Nvidia 560 Ti X2 using Renderman 19

• Advanced Member

Here's an article about how much memory your video card actually uses when playing various games.

The benchmarks shows VRam usage for 1080P, 1440, 4K resolution.

http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/89/much-vram-need-1080p-1440p-4k/index.html

. "If you start enabling AA, which we're going to be doing soon, then the VRAM consumption is going to skyrocket - which is something that will be interesting to see in our future article.

Read more at http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/89/much-vram-need-1080p-1440p-4k/index.html"

• Advanced Member

http://wccftech.com/amd-dual-fiji-fury-graphics-card/

HOLY MOLEY, $650!!!

And now this;

AMD-Radeon-R9-Fury-X2-Dual-Fiji-GPU-Grap

AMD Reveals Dual Fiji Board, World’s Fastest Graphics Card – 17 TERAFLOPS Small Form Factor Behemoth

Amazingly, the dual Fiji graphics card is actually no longer than a single Fury X graphics card. AMD described this board as “two Fury X cards” in one. Each Fury X graphics card has a computing power of 8.6 TERAFLOPS. Making a dual GPU board a 17+ TERAFLOP number crunching supercomputer. Project Quantum pictured above is a small form factor PC powered by this dual Fiji board. Project Quantum is a console sized box, but the similarities end there. Because this mini supercomputer over 9 times more powerful than a PS4 and a whopping 13 times more powerful than an XBOX ONE. And all of this oomph is enabled by the dual FIji board pictured below.

AMD-Radeon-R9-Fury-X2-Dual-Fiji-GPU-Grap

http://wccftech.com/amd-intros-project-quantum-powered-dual-fiji-chip/

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D 

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

i read that it will cost $1499 which is twice the cost of 2 fury x gpus + $200. This is fine as it comes with a motherboard, psu and presumably an amd FX cpu. Decent value really considering how much performance it will deliver. I just hope that you can upgrade the cpu to a zen cpu next year as the FX processors aren't great.

• Advanced Member

• 8 months later...
  • Contributor

Does someone own an R9 390X 8GB and could share his experience of working with it in 3D-Coat, and possibly other 3D programs? Any issues? Driver problems? Would you recommend it?

Oh, and what PSU do you have to support this power hungry fellow? I read that it can require even up to 424W (https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/R9_390X_Gaming/28.html)! That's three times as much as my current card (141W).

I'm planning on upgrading my GTX 660Ti 3GB to something more modern, with a lot more VRAM.

Edited by ajz3d

• Advanced Member

Hi Ajz3d,

If you can, I would hold on a little bit longer before upgrading.. GPU Conference is in a few weeks and both NVidia and AMD are to officially announce their next gen cards.

This can benefit you in two ways, lower existing card cost or you might see a card revealed that you like better.

The theme for NVidia and AMD this year is lower power req, new architecture and "maybe" some HBM2 memory.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2