3DCoat Forums

3D Erosion Filter

paqwak

Hi Andrew,

I'm wondering if you havnt consider yet to add some erosion filters to help environment voxel sculpting.

Easy to ask, and probably very tricky to develop :)

There are 2 or 3 softwares around that can do that job, World Machine, Geocontrol and Terragen.

The big limilation of this 3 softwares is that they only work on heighfield (vertical elevation terrain).

I find voxel probably the best approach for complex terrain scultping, having a tool to create time erosion over the 

model would be really amazing.

hero_final6.jpg

World Machine

erosion-filters.jpg

GeoControl

Edited by paqwak

• Reputable Contributor

Hi Andrew,

I'm wondering if you havnt consider yet to add some erosion filters to help environment voxel sculpting.

Easy to ask, and probably very tricky to develop :)

There are 2 or 3 softwares around that can do that job, World Machine, Geocontrol and Terragen.

The big limilation of this 3 softwares is that they only work on heighfield (vertical elevation terrain).

I find voxel probably the best approach for complex terrain scultping, having a tool to create time erosion over the 

model would be really amazing.

hero_final6.jpg

World Machine

erosion-filters.jpg

GeoControl

I wouldn't mind having something like this, but personally I think folks are asking for things that are well beyond what 3D Coat was ever intended for. 3D Coat is not Vue Infinite or Terragen. They are specialty apps and as such, they would provide this type of functionality. I don't want 3D Coat trying to be everything to everyone...because that means fewer and fewer tools ever get the refinement/full development they need. Auto Retopo, and the Retopo tools themselves are things that many of us have been waiting on.

If Andrew chases every rabbit that leaps out from the bushes, so to speak, we'll never get the buck (deer) we're after. Some want hair....some want more of a full-fledged renderer or rigging system. Again, Andrew has to draw the line at some point. Especially seeing that there are still many requests that have been years in the waiting. The Paint Room hasn't gotten much attention the past few years, and we're due to have some work done on the layer system.

So, again...cool request, but I wouldn't ever look to 3D Coat to do this kind thing. You already have quite a bit of capability to do terrains as it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHmndc8S2kA&list=PLlQ3JITh9bXM1jWm_zef5QiVebMReXqVL&index=3

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

At one point I was wishing Andrew would bring in hair spline generators like Zbrush , that could be brought into Maya to be used with Joe Alter S&AHC or Maya Hair etc, but now I see Maya will soon be releasing an entirely new hair system that has its own Zbrush style hair spline generators called XGen that's part of the 2014 Enhancemnts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPZvG5H8MoY

It would have thus been a mistake for Andrew to run in and try to match Zbrush's hair.

In the same way while I love erosion programs, I think World Machine is probably the best and so there's no need for Andrew to double up on this functionality.

I don't see  erosion ever being a part of 3d Coat, it's just not going to be a landscape program, ever.

I'm hoping Andrew does go with Open Subd though, and I'm hoping he does work out having a proper Vector Displacement that works. And I hear he's hard at work on fixing up autopo so that he once again takes a big lead on all comers.

And I hope the rumors about a NURBS system of modeling and retopo for 3D Coat are also true. I'd love all that.

Looks like you guys dont really get the point, so I'll try to do my best to resume :

Vue, Terragen, WM, GC ... none of them can compute 3d erosion, they all do erosion on 2d elevation data. Type erosion in google images, you'll see tons of example of shapes that 'simple' elevation cant produce.

Voxels are great for terrain sculpting right  (Crytek ?).  Vue has a terrain sculpting room (very limited).

3Dcoat would be a really good solution too, especially with some procedural filters for large scale terrain creation. A 3D erosion filter would be one of them.

I have not a single interrest into hair, open suvdiv, nurbs auto retopo :)

• Advanced Member

While I hear what you're saying, I find my self hesitantly agreeing with the others on this.  I would love to have a feature like that, also, but I don't see it falling in 3D Coat's lane.  Certainly, ask though, as it might be something that Andrew can easily implement, but honestly, I would just brush it in or generate outside of 3DC and then bring in.  I did something like this fairly recently, but not in as much detail.  I then was able to work in erosion, etc. where I would like.  What might be a better way to ask for this is to say we would like to be able to "load" brushes like a painter would and not only have fall-off from the shape of the brush, but from the strength, as well.