3DCoat Forums

[SOLVED] Initial subdivision with Merge to PPP with Displacement

Medler

The official 3D coat video on You Tube about "Merge to PPP with Displacement" (created at februari the 18th, 2014) mentions that there is a caveat about initial subdivision (at 1 minute, 33 seconds). The person in the video says that if you leave the initial subdivision at "no subdivision" the low polygon mesh has some roughness to it when you merge. You need at least one level of subdivision to solve this problem. He also states that Andrew has been made aware of this and he mentioned that he has not come up with a solution for it yet.

Is this problem still the case, or is it solved?

If so: does choosing more subdivision levels (in stead of one) result in more displacement quality? The more, the better? Or is choosing one subdivision level enough to solve this problem?

Another question: is this initial subdivision the same as "adjust subpatching" in the view menu, once you are in the paint room?

As far as I understand, subpatching is ment to mimic sub polygon displacement in Cinema 4d or for mimicking subdivided meshes with displacement in other 3D applications. Is this correct?

Edited by Medler

• Reputable Contributor

A higher initial subdivision would not hurt but that is a user call and whether you want to export a low polygon mesh or the mid-polygon mesh out of the paint room for your base mesh to apply the displacement map to.

"adjust subpatching" in the paint room is only for better visual appearance but but does not add any real polygons to your object.

I just think now having to choose a higher carcass level (initial subdivision) is that way it will always work unless Andrew figures out a way around it... I do not think it is on the fast track at the moment for figuring out. It works and that is good because you can choose to export the low polygon mesh or the mid-level mesh from the paint room.

My goal is to export a low poly mesh out of the paint room, with the best possible displacement.

I do not understand correctly what this means. Does it mean:

Option 1:

1. I choose a higher initial subdivision, which creates more polygons and because of that, also creates better displacement when I merge into the paintroom.  

2. I export the original low res without initial subdivision out of the paint room with the difference I now have a better quality displacement map?

Option 2:

1. I choose a higher initial subdivision, which creates more polygons and because of that, also creates better displacement when I merge into the paintroom.  

2. I can only export the original low res with extra initial subdivision out of the paint room, which now has become a mid res mesh because of the initial subdivision?

Edited by Medler

• Reputable Contributor

Choosing to Merge to the Paint room with subdivision is nothing more than exporting a subdivided version of your Retopo mesh, to the Paint Room (with all your maps baked and assigned to paint layers). It looks better in the viewport and if you want to do a little sculpting, it looks/works better....but it's not permanent. 3D Coat saves the original low poly mesh from the Retopo room, in memory. So, when you do a final export out of 3D Coat, you have the option to export the subdivided version or the low poly version (that is stored in memory)

You might get a better displacement map (just depends on the Retopo mesh's topology poly count), so it's worth a try. With the "Adjust Subpatching" if you increase that level, 3D Coat is using that subD level to displace the sculpted detail in the viewport. It is no different than choosing to work in your standard 3D App with a SubD modifier applied to it. You may be looking at the low poly wireframe, but the model is smoothed by the SubD modifier. You can now sculpt a bit and see better details.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

No matter what you choose for your initial subdivision subdivision you can always export the low polygon retopo mesh from the paint room as ABnRanger stated. The subdivision you choose when merging the retopo mesh to the paint room becomes your mid-level mesh when exporting...  That is how it works, Reread all the information here in this thread and then use the KISS saying... <_<

Edited by digman