3DCoat Forums

Move and Scale tools not working right

Kev914

I was hiding some faces so I could paint some areas different than the others when all of the sudden the move tool moves the model around so quickly that it flies off the screen with just a little mouse movement. The rotate tool doesn't really rotate much at all. The cursor kind of trembles when the mouse is over the icons at the top of the screen. I can rotate and scale and move with the cursor in the workspace OK, except that the move tool seems to move the object really fast with just a small mouse movement. Did I accidentally click on something and cause this behavior? I tried shutting down 3DCoat and restarting, but it still does the same. I also shut down and restarted my machine but that didn't correct things either. Maybe it is something with my project. I'll try opening a different project. Any ideas?

Thanks

It could be something in the project I was working on. When this starting happening, I saved this project as a new file. I opened the earlier version and the tools seem to be working OK. But if I go back to my more recent scene, the tools act a little strange. The cursor really quivers over the zoom tool and it doesn't really scale at all. I have to use the short cuts in the workspace to zoom and the move tool reacts too sensitively. I move just a little and I lose my model. I have to change the camera to find it again. Is there any was to reset things?

Hi

I opened the scene today and it seems to be working again.

I'm not seeing that SCULPT item. I have VOWELS and then RENDER. I'm in the paint room. My object is a clothing item from Daz Studio 4.8. I exported the clothing from DS as an object and then brought it into 3d Coat. I selected paint on a UV mapped object (not sure if that's exactly the right wording). The only thing I remember changing was the size of the texture map from 1024 to 2048.

Not sure if this had anything to do with the issue, but yesterday when I started having the problem, I had the cursor but about 3 inches away there was this colored dot off to the right. It moved in sync with the cursor. I wondered what it was. Wasn't sure if it was always there and I just never noticed or if I had turned something on somehow. I don't see it right now.

If you loose your model off screen, is there a key or tool to recenter it?

Not sure if what I am doing is the best way to accomplish what I want. I have some clothing. I want to separate the trim from the body of the clothing. I wanted to paint them differently. I was hiding the polygons for the body so that all I could see was the trim. I was going to freeze it when I hade all the parts I didn't want hidden (make a mask). The reason I didn't just paint on the trim was becasue I couldn't get the sharp edge that I could if I could mask the polygons I wanted.

Maybe I can just freeze by polygon?

Anyway, I can't find the SCULPT item. I clicked through all the rooms and I don't see it.

Thanks.

Thanks for your replies. The links look useful.

I think I figured out why my move, scale, rotate tools act crazy some times and where my model goes when it flies off the screen. I think I ended up inside the model somehow. My model disappear on a new project that I had started and I was nearly done. I moved the mouse and the model disappeared. I closed and reopened the program, but it was still gone. I moved the mouse and I guess I moved it in the right direction because suddenly the model appeared and it was huge and I was inside it.

So here are a few questions....

In one project, I took the model into Lightwave and created material groups. That changed the UV mapping, but I reloaded the original map. I hadn't changed the model other than to add material groups. I brought it into 3d Coat and I was able to paint everything just fine. I exported the model. But when I looked the maps that got created, every material group had a separate map. I suppose I could still use them. It would just be more work. Does this always happen? Should I have done something else rather than material groups?

In a second attempt, using the same but original model. I hid the 3 pieces of trim. I saved each piece the hid file for each piece so I could recall it. Then I had to recall each one and apply a freeze and then invert so I could paint on each piece of trim. So is there better approach than what I did?

Also, I figured out why I didn't have the latest version of the program. (I remembered downloading and installing it.) But when I ran the program I saw that it was 4.1. I was just about to re-install and then I noticed....there was a second group of icons for 4.5 under the first set.

Thanks again.