3DCoat Forums

Autodesk 3D Coat

bigsofty

• Advanced Member

I second that, this software is the most promising I ever seen, and I think it has the tools to crush the most.

But when someone knock at your door with a HUUUGE cash that can be difficult to resist.

I see Autodesk like the center of the galaxy, they think that they are the center of everything, and they are behaving like a black hole, everything they eat cannot escape.

Plus when something pass it's event horizon you are sure that any information will pass through it :D

That's a black hole I'm sure of it ^^

I was working in a big (or average) company as a leading programmer and I know that efficiency of

1 professional leading and learning 5 (even not bad) programmers works slower then 1 professional.

Even if program is very distributed on logical cells it takes many time to keep all code clean and growable.

It is not pride, just simple logic. Management takes time and bugfixing is much more complicated. One man knows where are all weak points of program, but he can't know all weak points if there was many peoples that added weak points.

But speed of work of one man is also limited. So big companies can work faster if they will have really big stuff. But in this case frequent updates are absolutely impossible.

I hope Autodesk 3D Coat will never happen.

I like to work but don't like business stuff. But I need to eat and grow business anyway :)

• Advanced Member
I was working in a big (or average) company as a leading programmer and I know that efficiency of

1 professional leading and learning 5 (even not bad) programmers works slower then 1 professional.

Even if program is very distributed on logical cells it takes many time to keep all code clean and growable.

It is not pride, just simple logic. Management takes time and bugfixing is much more complicated. One man knows where are all weak points of program, but he can't know all weak points if there was many peoples that added weak points.

But speed of work of one man is also limited. So big companies can work faster if they will have really big stuff. But in this case frequent updates are absolutely impossible.

I hope Autodesk 3D Coat will not happen.

I like to work but don't like business stuff. But I need to eat and grow business anyway :)

I wont mind seeing a AutoBorg 3DCoat...if it means Andrew gets a much bigger pay check for his hard work.

I and my co-workers think that it will be really silly to sell our company to anyone because growing potential is really huge and money spending rate is very low. Income is not so big but interest is growing.

Quality and speed of work depends on me, direction of development and spreading around the world - on you :)

If users will be active, Autodesk will never get any chance :)

• Advanced Member

I second that :)

I think that you got a Great potential, especially with 3.0

When this version will be release you are sure to be alone in this field, and there are so many people who are waiting for voxel base modeling.

Even those who don't wait it will be seduce.

You will become the new Autodesk :lol:

Guest Lottmedia

I understand, the company I work for has a smallish software development team (about 5 people?) and it's always chaos even though the plan is segmented out and the code is checked in and all, there's always issues when one person's code interferes with another's or someone's code activates something another had disabled. It's crazy.

Give us a paypal donate link. I, for one, would gladly send you money to get that wife of your some nice flowers :) How is the little one doing BTW?

Casey

• Advanced Member
I and my co-workers think that it will be really silly to sell our company to anyone because growing potential is really huge and money spending rate is very low. Income is not so big but interest is growing.

I second that,Andrew,if you really do a perfect app,as time goes by,the increase rate would be exponential!but now, perhaps the income of 3d coat is not so big,just keep up you remarkable work,and waiting for the explosive growth of 3d coat!

I would rather Andrew take the pre-attack and figure out how to interface with app through their portals.

For example, with LW, he could write code that, with the press of a button from modeler or layout, would launch, if nec, 3DCoat with said object already loaded and ready to paint upon. This is all possible with the hub and the comring that's available.

Other apps have similar things.

Andrew, I really want some more of your ideas and implementation of organic type materials, for example 3DTrees. I see that as a tool for flowers, bushes, etc. It has all kinds of potential and power. Denis wrote a program because of you, haha (Denis is a plugin coder for LW. He wrote a poly-face-camera plugin as an aid to the billboards of a 3dTree.)

You've inspired a lot of rooms where those programmers hang out, I'm sure. Your tools are advancing faster than the tools already available; with this volumetric step, you will have an explosion of business, I'm quite sure.

Be the great plugin tool -- that's the strong point. Thanks for your efforts.

Interesting idea! Thanks.

The little grows and feels itself very well!

Autodesk is the evil! :lol:

too great company and they heve mudbox yet too.

I'd like more that 3D coat can grow as a standalone app and enter even more into real competition with ZBrush

(some of 3d coat tools are actually more intuitive and effective than ZB, especially painting so competition is there yet hehe):)

as a small suggestion i'd say that, from what i see ,as it grows,

3d coat needs a bit more elegant UI from a purely visual standpoint.

i also don't know yet how much customizable it is in colors,fonts and icons (size, look and more).,

making user customized layouts and be able to store them

Making UI better and adding these possibilities will become a very valid selling point !

all the rest i've seen is incredible and very intuitive

more important: you add on the fly features users aske for years for other apps ! GREAT !

• Advanced Member
[...] as a small suggestion i'd say that, from what i see ,as it grows,

3d coat needs a bit more elegant UI from a purely visual standpoint.

[...]

I agree with that.

A more sober Ui would be fine, Silo and modo are good example of great Ui.

For the moment I find that current icon are not enough explicit, plus I find them not really "serious", that's not what you are used to see in other apps, and because we always have to go back and forth from different software that's good to get the same mark between each software.

The current icon are pretty but doesn't sound really serious for me, for example the glasses for hidding or the flat iron for flatten.

I'm sure a prettier Ui could really help the software.

I second also the color customisation, for UI, edge and so on.

I agree with that.

A more sober Ui would be fine, Silo and modo are good example of great Ui.

For the moment I find that current icon are not enough explicit, plus I find them not really "serious", that's not what you are used to see in other apps, and because we always have to go back and forth from different software that's good to get the same mark between each software.

The current icon are pretty but doesn't sound really serious for me, for example the glasses for hidding or the flat iron for flatten.

I'm sure a prettier Ui could really help the software.

I second also the color customisation, for UI, edge and so on.

3DC Interface could be customized much. Colors and buttons style - look at Options.

Icons - see file InstDir\Textures\Icons\baseicons.dds

Buttons precise shape - InstDir\Textures\Icons\stdbutton.dds

If someone will make more professional icons, I will be happy!

• Advanced Member

In an other post you talked about challenges, that can be an interesting theme, and because you were talking about giving a free v.3.0 that can really motivate the troups and maybe attract more people.

So the challenge could be "Re design Ui of 3Dcoat (including icon and layout)", something like that.

I'm not preparing a challenge to win a free version, I don't think my skill are good enough in this field :).

Just a thought.

I wont mind seeing a AutoBorg 3DCoat...if it means Andrew gets a much bigger pay check for his hard work.

That's a kind consideration. But for selfish reasons, I do care. Here's why:

A ) Like Andrew said, one good programmer can work faster with less errors than a team and this often translates to a more stable, more frequently updated program.

B ) I hate autodesk, and other companies that are the "EA" of their fields. I use programs like TrueSpace, Carrara and 3D-Coat for just that reason.

C ) They own Mudbox now, so anything 3D-Coat had that they still wanted would go into that and suddenly cost 10x as much. Does anyone think Autodesk would sell 3D-Coat alongside Mudbox for only $120?

I shudder to think to think what will happen to TrueSpace and Caligari Corp. when Microsoft tire of owning them. Roman Ormandy has been involved in 3D and VR for over 20 years. I sure hope he has a plan "B" if partnering with M$ turns out to have been a bad idea. Look how few small or independent "all-in-one" packages there are these days compared to 10 years ago. These days there are many nice 3D paint tools (3D-Coat, zBrush, Blacksmith), modelers (Silo, Hexagon) and many dedicated renderers also from small dedicated companies. However there aren't nearly as many small "all-in-ones" as before. Daz have Carrara still, though that almost puts it iin the "acquired by EA" territory. 3DSMax and Maya are under the same roof. Cinema costs an arm and a leg now and has become a family of products. You rarely even hear of Hash A:M or Strata now. I think it's interesting that Messiah:Studio combined animation and rendering, yet decided another modeler would be a waste of time. I also thought by now that Anim8or would have become a commercial product. I suppose that's like milkshape getting a renderer.

big companieshave huge amounts of money to pay programmers, but you also become a part of a gigantic machine that often doesn' allow for real innovation by one only programmer.

also i find that often , real innovation comes from small companies. apps like Hexagon or ZBrush and 3D Coat are just the demonstration of this.

as i see since some time its evolution, 3d coat is growing rapidly and well, simply because andrew is a great programmer and so responsive to users and their suggestions.

IMO there's nothing better than this approach, because the app can grow upon real and practical user needs. a thing that big companies can hardly have.

Also while you can find great tools everywhere,in app A , B or C its difficult to find tools that make a complete and efficient set .

Yes, you can find a great idea in Mudbox, another great one in ZBrush, for example but both miss something the competitor has, and this is very common considering the variety of 3d apps in general.

Guided from users from different packages , Andrew can get real inspiration from different suggestions , gather ideas coming from different packages and give life to a fantastic sculpting/painting app ! :)

so i wish to 3d coat a bright future !

And no Autodesk at all!

should really become a scary competitor for Zbrush, Mudbox, and Bodypaint too instead. :)

• 2 weeks later...
3DC Interface could be customized much. Colors and buttons style - look at Options.

Icons - see file InstDir\Textures\Icons\baseicons.dds

Buttons precise shape - InstDir\Textures\Icons\stdbutton.dds

If someone will make more professional icons, I will be happy!

I could make a mockup in photoshop of a new GUI concept, as it is now it's too limited to customize. If I change the button shape everythings screw up and looks awful, but if you want to I could make a concept in PS and show you some ideas of what it could look like and you maybe can alter the GUI code to make it possible.

• Advanced Member

You guys are so paranoid!

I mean, Autodesk owns Mudbox already, and they'd never waste money developing two apps that do the same thing. I mean, that would just be insane!!!

That being said, I'm personally hoping that 3DC grows into such a monster app that no one can control it! RAAAHHHH!!!! 3DC SMASH!!!!!!

-Oliver

• Advanced Member
You guys are so paranoid!

I mean, Autodesk owns Mudbox already, and they'd never waste money developing two apps that do the same thing. I mean, that would just be insane!!!

Two apps that do the same thing ? Like 3ds Max and Maya ?

• Advanced Member

:D

And isn't it far easier to just buy the technology (and developer) rather

than spend the time/effort/brainpower themselves? Just a brief glance at their

recent tech buyouts would seem to indicate they prefer this method....

Anyhow, hope Andrew enjoys the journey (and is well rewarded for it) rather

than selling out for a big chunk of $ only to then look for another software 'baby'

to create. :)

Wah autodesk sux. they have great funds so they buy out apps, but they don't do much other.

they also tend to live in allures , IMHO.

Maya sells by itself because its considered a software leader in the industry, similarly to Photoshop for 2d this especially for movies. It is a good piece of software indeed, but i don't see a fantastic load of innovation in recent releases.

Max is the same for games.

Autocad same concept no great evolution in it coz its accepted somewhat like a standard.

So the real problem is.. where's real innovation? where's R&D ?

I see real innovation coming from smaller software houses, and also from softimage rather than autodesk.

so that's why 3D coat deserves to grow!

p.s. and i would do some UI changes to make it more classy! version 3.0 maybe?

Just to add to this, they didn't buy Alias for Maya they bought it for Studiotools, now called Alias studio (industry standard app in the car industry for designers and costs about $70000). Maya was just a bonus, that's what I think.

I think they just buy out things they feel they need at that particular moment!!

they aquired Maya as a side app, but then aquired Mudbox to add anotther weapon to their toolset...

Probably Pixologic wasn't disposable to be bought, plus , they sell alot so they can stand on their legs

MB has been conceived during LOTR production and was quite Maya related. Software house was started since not a long time.

Anyhoo, I think IMHO, that the bad thing is not just Autodesk buying MB but Cardwell, and co selling it out.

BTW , better to be bought than close a software house, but probs are always around. look at Hexagon....