3DCoat Forums

Farsthary update channel

• Advanced Member

Yeah

But Raul is-was a member of this blender community. He has some access (everybody has) on the code of this app. It's better to ask this than trying to explain what I need as an artist.

This is exactly what I need, I'm certain that you all need it.

This tool works much better under dynamically tessellated conditions. Nothing to compare with zbrush build clay tool.

Hi guys :)

thanks for your feedback, I will try to review them asap

here are few more improvements

http://farsthary.wordpress.com/2012/09/27/a-bit-of-ui-cleaning/

http://farsthary.wordpress.com/2012/09/26/one-click-closing-holes/

those are part of streamlining the workflow so I hope you will like them ;)

• Advanced Member

It may take me a bit of time to upgrade to V4, which is why I hope that whatever UI improvements and bugfixes that are made will stay with V3. As that UI improvement looks very exciting. I'm fine with the features staying out, but a UI cleanup could still benefit those of us who may take a while to upgrade.

• Contributor

I'm impressed by the new removestretching. At this point I'm even wondering what's the difference between using a liveclay equivalent of a surface brush with remove stretching enabled.

There's only the missing details slider but otherwise it's the same. Tnx for bringing the same kind of functionality over the very fast surface brushes :)

And I don't know if the smooth adding division is intended or not but it's very usefull, I was using a liveclay brush with 0 depth to add local division for detailing, now I do it with a 0 depth smooth, it's much faster with the right click drag :)

Btw the way smooth is using removestretching now make it much more powerfull in smoothing out bump from the tesselation. There's much less of it by default and you can get rid of it very quickly now.

To me in surface mode there's still a few subtleties to be fixed (if you look at my what feels wrong thread you'll see what I mean), but you beat zbrush and mudbox over the freedom factor (dynamesh beaten hands down with removestretching) and over poly consumption (I can do what I want in about 4 millions in 3dcoat where Iwould need 16 in zbrush or mudbox, it's crazy).

Hats to you sirs !

• Applink Developer

Btw the way smooth is using removestretching now make it much more powerfull in smoothing out bump from the tesselation. There's much less of it by default and you can get rid of it very quickly now.

That's very nice feature. But could we add "remove stretching" checkbox into smooth tool. And this way to separate it from the tool you are using.

The reason is that I like to sculpt without "remove strething". But when smoothing I would like to use this option without everytime pressing the checkbox.

• Contributor

Well the best option would be to be able to choose what you activate with shift or ctrl. That would be the best. Example ctrl+shift : clean clay with that yuou can reduce your tri count. Shift: smooth or Tsmooth. Ctrl: your invert brush or another completementary brush of your choosing. Etc. Smooth brush would have your removestretching option ofc.

Something like that

<shiftAlternateBrush>Tsmooth</shiftAlternateBrush> ofc it would also work with presets, meaning depending on what preset you choose you get a different "multibrush".It could help the workflow a lot, like it does in the retopo room.

Just imagine having the stackable hotkey, lets say 3 multi brushes by hotkey. One key : potentialy 9 brushes just by pressing one key ! You jsut have to remember how many time you have to press to select the desired "set" and you're good to go.

Can't be faster than that imo and that's a great selling point. Much like the radial selection menu of sketchbook.

• Advanced Member

Actually there will be possibility to choose what SHIFT and CTRL+SHIFT do in next version. Not all brushes but smooth-related brushes - http://bit.ly/O7TUtN

I was going to ask this.

Wonderfull work,thanks a lot(also great the new improvements to remove streching option)

• Reputable Contributor

The new smoothing routine that Raul created looks like it will be much better than the old as the old smoothing produced a lot poles. In fact, I rarely ever used the smooth in surface or live clay mode because of the pole issue... I created my own brushes for smoothing.

Thanks Raul, looks like I might not need my preset smoothing brushes much longer... :good:

http://farsthary.wordpress.com/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

I been doing a little testing since Linux 4.00.A4 came out a few days ago.

The new relaxation setting for the LC TSmooth works really well. I do alot of base low polygon work in surface mode, less than a million. Here is how it helps...

I use the pinch tool with remove stretching enabled to start getting a sharp edge going. My last two strokes are done with remove stretching de-selected. That make the edge really sharp and clean but stretches the polygons on either side of the ridge just a little.

I can take TSmooth with relaxation enable and the stretching of the polygons is remove plus I can get really close do the ridge edge with out it effecting the sharp ridge edge. I do use my own created alphas and brush settings which are saved as presets

No bad poles.... :D

There also seems to be improvement in the overall quality of your brush strokes as well.

The only thing that could use some adjusting is remove stretching. The polygons added at smaller brush sizes is really strong and increase the polygons quite a bit in those areas. The surface mode brush then acts more like a LC brush but with no detail control at smaller brush sizes.

Now I am testing on surface objects from 500,000 to 1,000,000

This of course is open to disscusion, my opinion here. The new routines are working out well so I would not want a change if it effects the way things are improving for LC and surface mode brushes. I can use my preset LC brushes for smaller brush strokes to work areas but not increase the polygon count so much. By the way I do not need a very small brush size to pinch as surface mode pinch pulls the polygons tightly together.

You are going the right direction Raul and thanks...

The first picture is of a pinch ridge after using TSmooth with relaxation enabled, very nice indeed...

The second picture shows the draw brush at a smaller size with remove stretching enabled. That's a whole alot of polygons going on there without any way to control the amount of polygons produced.

post-518-0-82244500-1350581638_thumb.png

post-518-0-33760900-1350582190_thumb.png

Hello friends.

While my todays mantis check I realised, that there is currently no one (!) live clay bug existing in mantis.

Is live clay in 3D Coat really completely bug and issue free??? I am not that shure... ;)

So for all, who are mantis supporters: Please don't forget to give Raul a better bug support and post your bugs into mantis too. This helps him a lot.

You can assign your reports directly to Raul (farsthary). There is a fast way to find his username in mantis. Just click into the "Assign to" field and type his first name letters. Mantis will complete you entry automatically.

Thank you very much for your support!!!

Direct link to mantis: http://3d-coat.com/mantis/

Best wishes

Chris

• Contributor

Raul, sometimes I still get blackspots on mesh when using Legacy fix.I'll post to Mantis a smaller file early next week for you to inspect.

Also Remove Clay becomes sometimes highly unsymmetrical (when sym is on,of course)

some improvement ideas: :):brush:

Do you think you could add a built in decimation setting inside Tangent Smooth brush?

(also if you couldimplement some sort of filling/adding +"pullfaces" behavior it would be awesome,

I think you could turn it in even be a better flattening solution than Flattenclay)

Could you make it that we can use E-panel sleection modes to reduce/decimate areas....using the brush all the times to decimate areas is sometimes tedious,being able to decimate specific big areas using E-panel lasso and spline would be agreat time saver andgivemuch more control.

Also each time you add a tool or change tool order in the LC roll I need to redo all my presets because they become assigned to the wrong tools(they get assigned to the one tool below them mostly)

I think it is beacuse of way Andrew made the preset system,it would be cool if you could get him to fix that...so that prestes get assigned to tools name instead of tools 'numbers.

Thanx

• Contributor

Here is a black hole made by sculptingwith Rapid2 brush with remove stretching on for just 2 minutes.

post-1195-0-15988200-1350689290_thumb.jp

here is file.

removeclay hole.zip

sometimes those kind of black holes come from the alpha/or curve value...I used the hardpen for this

(the softened full white circle)

there was problemwith flatten curve some weeks ago where it would get flipped and creates similar holes,

Andrew fixed it but maybe there is some remnants of that problem