3DCoat Forums

Smart materials, masks, etc feature

geo_n

• Advanced Member

I've always wondered if there was a way to lock the overlays(smart materials, masks, etc) in Object space so that any zooming, pan, rotate of the viewport would not change the position, orientation, scale of the overlays?

Like the background reference, its always fixed no matter how you manipulate the viewport.

The reason being that when I'm painting over a model with an overlay, usually with front projection for set extensions, etc, when  I change views and then go back to front view the overlay is misaligned, out of scale, etc. I have to realigned and rescale the overlay.

I could be missing this function and it already exists.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Here's what I meant about texture projection can be locked so that if the user decides to swap the texture or re apply the texture its still in the same place.

Its a always a big issue and time consuming when trying to re allign the texture after changing the view. I always use front projection for work on set extensions.
Is there a way to use the background reference as texture projection so its locked to the object no matter what you do with viewport?

• Reputable Contributor

Here's what I meant about texture projection can be locked so that if the user decides to swap the texture or re apply the texture its still in the same place.

Its a always a big issue and time consuming when trying to re allign the texture after changing the view. I always use front projection for work on set extensions.

Is there a way to use the background reference as texture projection so its locked to the object no matter what you do with viewport?

It might not be what you want, but when you have a Material overlay set the way you like, you can CTRL + UP ARROW key to save a camera view. It is supposed to store/save the placement and scale of the material along with the camera view. Try it out and see if it's close enough until Andrew comes up with something better.

• Advanced Member

Thanks Abn. Just tried it. I didn't know it supported saving of projection position. Learn something cool in 3dcoat again today :D

So the next feature would be to have a camera lister.

Please Andrew add a list of cameras in the scene and the ability to name these camera for ease of use. Or is it possible already instead of using previous camera, etc.

• Like 1