3DCoat Forums

Aleksey's ugly stuff

Aleksey

• Advanced Member

So hi guys. Official hello thread and i think i should start a sketchbook.

Im a Cinema4D guy and this sculpting is interesting stuff. Even though c4d has sculpting. I was looking for something with more freeform mesh creation. And 3d coat seems to be it. Ironically i think it has too much freedom sometimes as my meshes really get away from me =)

So I call this: "Ugly One"

post-38117-0-87747800-1387841437_thumb.jpost-38117-0-88743000-1387841432_thumb.j

How do i make images bigger in my posts? and not just thumbnails?

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

ah sorry, forgot to mention. Rendering in Cinema4D.

next one i make hopefully will retopo and paint some textures, but ive never painted textures, so they probs gonna be not very good =)

• Advanced Member

wooh Ugly Three is here!

Rendered in Cinema4D.

Needs more details, but i just wanted to power through the entire pipeline to see what snags i hit along the way. And im proud to say, that i got through the whole process =))

jbjjGYr4uqnfwY.png

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Thanks man! you have some amazing work on your website too!

Yeah the first one has been abandoned i didn't like the overall shape or anything about it really. Just wanted to share something.

the second one i liked more, but not enough to texture him and the 3rd one, well he go through the whole pipeline, but i still want to do some more stuff with him.

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

jAzPlCca9t6iI.png

Ugly four :)

Been busy with work, so didn't get to do any of these. nothing complex here, just practicing moving stuff around to and from cinema4D during workflow.

Also practicing retopology/dealing with Autopo.

• Like 4

Thanks man! you have some amazing work on your website too!

Yeah the first one has been abandoned i didn't like the overall shape or anything about it really. Just wanted to share something.

the second one i liked more, but not enough to texture him and the 3rd one, well he go through the whole pipeline, but i still want to do some more stuff with him.

Just pay more patience,I believe you can do it in good quality.

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

finally decided to practice some humanoid characters. Getting semi decent.

did some poly-painting, next time should subdivide the eyes more :D

j7N0kqyT6uqy5.PNG

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

does anyone know how to make the retopo room look prettier, mine just keeps throwing stuff into shadows?

D3ho0.jpg

also how to i turn off the transparency of the polygons?

• Advanced Member

Awesome thanks!

any idea why i can't rotate the primary light in relation to geometry? i can see it rotating on the eyes ( which are still painted surface sculpt layer), but has no effect on the retopo mesh.

edit: oh god that Zbias thing is what ive been looking for! that is awesome! will save me a couple of trips back to c4d to clean up retopo meshes!

Edited by Aleksey

• Advanced Member

Cool stuff.  These design are interesting, but could use a bit more commitment to the structures.  I did a quick drawover as an idea.  Try to get your planes clearer and smooth out the lumpy parts.  Antibump smoothing is really good.

Also, try not to make all your colour transitions smooth.  It's good to know when there should be sharper edges between colours/values.

post-3280-0-32673400-1435123145_thumb.jp

Edited by gbball
  • Like 3

• Advanced Member

Oh damn! Thanks for that gbball. Gonna try tighten it up!

edit: damn Gavin! just looked at your work, you are amazingly talented! Thanks for taking the time to give feedback!

Edited by Aleksey

• Advanced Member

No worries,

Glad you appreciate the unsolicited feedback.  Keep practicing and I'm sure you'll make good progress.  

• Advanced Member

ok, so the face kinda changed while i was trying to get it to look more like a real character and not an ancient civilization sculpture.

But your feedback was REALLY helpful man! Thanks again!

jbcc7l8Voo5RTc.PNG

• Like 2