3DCoat Forums

Pixar Releases OpenSubdiv Beta to the Public

• Advanced Member

At this point I don't see that Autopo of Nurbs should be really that much of an issue in the beginning. What would be cool though is a manual topology with NURBS that's parametric for starters. We didn't get Autopo for polygons till after manual topology tools with polygons were well established.

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Advanced Member

At this point I don't see that Autopo of Nurbs should be really that much of an issue in the beginning. What would be cool though is a manual topology with NURBS that's parametric for starters. We didn't get Autopo for polygons till after manual topology tools with polygons were well established.

I'm not sure whether you referred to my statements here...

I agree with you. Maybe I was a bit unclear when talking of Autopo of Nurbs with surface seams as guides. Here I meant the existing mesh based Autopo which ideally leads to a clean subdivision surfaces cage which may get transformed to Nurbs outside of 3DC.

• 8 months later...
  • Contributor

Hey does anybody know what software you need to use to make Opensubdiv models? Opensubdiv rendering is now supported in Maya 2015, and the soon to be released Vray 3 for Maya will also support it. But actually making Opensubdiv-compatible models...how is that done? I don't understand how to use it with a sculpting-retopo-displacement map workflow. Does Opensubdiv even use displacement maps or is it only for polygonal models with special Opensubdiv creasing applied? Are there any sculpting apps which subdivide meshes in the special Opensubdiv way?

• Advanced Member

Hey does anybody know what software you need to use to make Opensubdiv models? Opensubdiv rendering is now supported in Maya 2015, and the soon to be released Vray 3 for Maya will also support it. But actually making Opensubdiv-compatible models...how is that done? I don't understand how to use it with a sculpting-retopo-displacement map workflow. Does Opensubdiv even use displacement maps or is it only for polygonal models with special Opensubdiv creasing applied? Are there any sculpting apps which subdivide meshes in the special Opensubdiv way?

right now I recommend Modo with Mesh Fusion plug in.

• Contributor

Thanks L'Ancien for your suggestion!

However, I don't think Modo fully supports Opensubdiv yet. It does have an old version of it implemented for creasing (and maybe that is how the connections in Mesh Fusion can be made hard or soft), but it isn't really using a full Opensubdiv implementation yet as far as I know.

I did some more research last night and my new theory is that Opensubdiv creasing will be possible to create on polygonal models inside of Maya 2015. And I think that Opensubdiv in Maya 2015 will most likely respect displacement maps created in external software like Mudbox, Zbrush, and 3D-Coat. I am a bit worried however that the most accurate maps for Opensubdiv might have to be Ptex maps generated in Mudbox, but hopefully I am wrong about that.

In any case I am really interested to see fully subdivided characters animating in realtime in the Maya viewport! Hopefully the displacement maps from 3D-Coat and Zbrush will work properly there!