3DCoat Forums

fireflies in render

benk

• Advanced Member

Just doing a test to try to get a quick workflow for producing sample images with PBR. I have attached a couple images from 3DC and Blender Cycles. I like the speed and basic quality of the 3DC render but do not know how to set it up without getting the black artifacts on the polished cat forms ( I assume they are fireflies). I tried increasing the sample number but didn't seem to work. Any suggestions for tweaking render settings to produce clean metal renders greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

bk

post-38932-0-05234100-1435461460_thumb.p

post-38932-0-95497100-1435461463_thumb.p

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the response Michaelgdrs. If I understand correctly you are suggesting reducing the opacity of the AO layer in the paint room by 50% and then render from that setting. If that is the case I have tried that with little change in artifacts. About the only thing I have noticed that changes the amount of artifacts is to zoom in on the model and render or to perhaps greatly reduce the rays per frame setting.

Did I understand your setting suggestion correctly?

BK

post-38932-0-73327500-1435507140_thumb.p

post-38932-0-13067500-1435507153_thumb.p

• Advanced Member

Michael: As far as I can tell the artifacts only appear on the cat figures. The cat figures are a separate object from the frame/ground object but all the paint layers are shared by both objects. Both objects have 2 or 3 different metal PBR materials applied to them in the Paint Layer 1 slot. AO layer has not been manipulated by me at all and is as 3DC generates it. I have not baked anything other than what 3DC generates automatically (I assume) through the use of metal materials that require an AO map.

I guess I will clear the paint layers and try again to see if AO slot comes out better.

Thanks for your input and any further suggestions,

bk

• Contributor

Greetings Benk , 

what i advice is pure guess (i don't have the file on my hands to be 100 % sure and give a solid solution) from personal experience and issues that i faced during projects.

Really hope to help anyway.

• Advanced Member

Just to see if the file has input, I set up a primitive test. A cube primitive was selected in surface mode and then a metal PBR was applied. Rendered as with other files, producing artifact. Does object scale have anything to do with it????

Happy to provide files if you want to spend time with it...but I do not wish to use up your valuable time as I am sure it would be better spent making art. I just hope I am not missing something terribly obvious.

bk

post-38932-0-84916300-1435538669_thumb.p

• Contributor

Scale can produce artifacts yes.

In which mode are you > (Gl or DX , cuda or simple>).

Try to open the files in different modes .

You can send the files if you want , i will give a look and try to find it.

• Advanced Member

Thanks Michael. I have attached a simple file of a duplicated and rescaled object that produces a render with artifacts on both objects.

I do not know what mode I am in.....whatever is default. I am running 4.5.03(GL64) on Linux, no cuda.

Many thanks for your time.

bk

post-38932-0-28256700-1435547954_thumb.p

fireflies from pbr metal render.zip

• Advanced Member

Thanks Carlosan. Attached are results from 2 different environments and a screenshot of settings from render room. I still get fireflies. Could I have shader problems? Should I delete all program files and reinstall?

bk

post-38932-0-84369200-1435584687_thumb.p

post-38932-0-61299400-1435584718_thumb.p

post-38932-0-63040100-1435584755_thumb.p

• Contributor

I get them too.

But , i only get them with your cubes , if i add any 3d model (custom or premade from inside 3d coat) everything looks ok.

Extremely strange....

• Advanced Member

Makes me wonder if I have indeed broken something in the program. Does that seem like a likely explanation to you all?

• Advanced Member

I don't know. How do I find out?

• Advanced Member

Any other suggestions? If reinstall is the solution, would this be the proper procedure in Linux: delete all 3DC folders in Home/User, reinstall 3DC from original download .tar.gz and reregister?

• Advanced Member

I have reinstalled with no success. I have submitted info to 3DC support to see if there is a solution.

I can clean renders in post if need be, but would like to have clean renders if possible.

If anyone else has any other suggestions I am all ears,

BK

post-38932-0-40669600-1435946804_thumb.p