3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

Don't hate me...I like the gizmo! Though I prefer "sticky keys" and such. I think this is the unfortunate case though were an option for "please separate out the SRT into different gizomos" is at hand. At least it makes more sense to me than three identical rings with a line through them...

• Advanced Member
Im still not a fan of this interface, I mean the colours and subtle gradient are nice but the wall of buttons and lack of icons for anything just feels like the interface was designed by a programmer and the lightwave and xsi interfaces suffer from the same problem. Its still useable but its not stylish or memorable.

Oh no...hear we go again...

Well I'm from the "I can read it and understand it camp". AKA I LOVE LW AND XSI for the fact that they don't have those icons I have to hover over all the time trying to remember where something simple like the bevel tool is!

Is it the mesh coming out of a cube...or that displace like icon...or is it the edges that are highlighted out and extended away from that little...what is that thing anyway? Case in point- the C4D selection icons...uh...VERY confusing. However it's easy to remember that if I click a button under a selection menu labeled...polygons...it will select...polygons...

Icons are great...when you only have four things your normal click on...

So riddle me this- how would you...with a pictogram...describe more than 1/4 of the tools in 3DC? Just the voxel set alone would be odd...and all the room you'd need!

OK...tender dear to my heart subject for me...

I say color coat them and group them better...but for the love of all that is holy...please don't iconize is anymore than needed!

Im still not a fan of this interface, I mean the colours and subtle gradient are nice but the wall of buttons and lack of icons for anything just feels like the interface was designed by a programmer and the lightwave and xsi interfaces suffer from the same problem. Its still useable but its not stylish or memorable.

It's not a problem, actually. Icons simply can NOT be used for nearly all of the tools in 3DCoat. Seriously, go make some icons for all of the voxel tools and come back with a proposal for them, instead of this TEXT VS ICONS post. Present your idea for something different.

Icons make sense when used correctly. 3D-Coat has the best interface now IMHO, the mix of text and icons is tastefully done and well thought out.

Again, if you don't like it, make some icons and propose them.

• Advanced Member

Hey andrew,

I've been teesting 3dcoat for a while now, and I keep running into problems when using dp, where it will refuse to paint certain pixels near uv-seams.

As this is the main reason I use 3dCoat, that's a big problem!

• Advanced Member
Hey andrew,

I've been teesting 3dcoat for a while now, and I keep running into problems when using dp, where it will refuse to paint certain pixels near uv-seams.

As this is the main reason I use 3dCoat, that's a big problem!

Could you show more info? For example a screenshot.

• Advanced Member

3606470723_c617a96232_o.jpg

The green area is what I painted, the red area is which wasn't effected. Brush-size doesn't matter, I can actually make it as big as the screen and it'll miss those pixels. This is a pretty big problem, and I've ran into it with every model I've tried so far!

• Advanced Member
The green area is what I painted, the red area is which wasn't effected. Brush-size doesn't matter, I can actually make it as big as the screen and it'll miss those pixels. This is a pretty big problem, and I've ran into it with every model I've tried so far!

Hi Michael, long time no hear :)

I don't have any issues painting over UVBorder seams at all with DP.

post-800-1244467466_thumb.jpg

Are you running the latest version from this thread - Last Check

Also can you post a screen of your UV Layout?

• Advanced Member

Just tested with 3.00.04, no such problem. :rolleyes:

• Advanced Member

It doesn't happen with every border, mind. But yeah, I'm running 87(RC) GL64 Cuda-enabled.

And I'm afraid I can post anything else, as this is under strict NDA. All I can say is that it's happened on multiple meshes. The only constant has been that the meshes were exported from Max, and that the textures were 1024x1024 maximum. Overlapping uv-islands are moved outside of the 0-1 space (for bakes).

If this was an internal project I could request to be allowed to send the model to Andrew, but this is a customer's mesh.

• Advanced Member
It doesn't happen with every border, mind. But yeah, I'm running 87(RC) GL64 Cuda-enabled.

And I'm afraid I can post anything else, as this is under strict NDA. All I can say is that it's happened on multiple meshes. The only constant has been that the meshes were exported from Max, and that the textures were 1024x1024 maximum. Overlapping uv-islands are moved outside of the 0-1 space (for bakes).

If this was an internal project I could request to be allowed to send the model to Andrew, but this is a customer's mesh.

You can detach the buggy portion of the mesh and send only that part to Andrew, I don't think anyone would recognize what that is. :)

It's very difficult even for Andrew to solve this mesh specific problem without having a sample to test.

• Advanced Member
3606470723_c617a96232_o.jpg

Mighty Pea, It looks like the area is getting painted, but the geometry/mesh has a tear or problem with it. I think what you are seeing is the "shadow" which is the result of the torn mesh and not a paint problem.

You shouldn't be on the v8x Alphas any longer - you should be using the 3.00.xx releases from this thread:

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2683

I was doing that myself for a while... :blink:

-Will

Yep yep! What Will said.

You'll find these builds do not have this problem. :)

I could not get the 3.00.05 to working on my machine so I could not confirm if this is still issues in the final but as it is important to me I feel I have to put it out there as perhaps the last bug report on ALPHA-87.

There is a big difference between voxel-merging in geometry from the topology versus directly in from .obj file. The positioning is totally different. Importing geometry in toplogy will regard the pivot point from the model. Mergin in different parts of a model into voxel layers from the topology will place the geometry in the right location in space.

If one merge .obj directly into a voxel layer it places the pivot point in the center of the geometry, and importing different part of a mesh this why will have the geometry overlap and one will manually have to compensate for this with tedious translations.

Also. Merging geometry from .obj directly also imports everything in that file into the same layer it would be much nicer if every sub mesh in the.obj was imported into separate layers automatically so before importing today one have to split the sub mesh into separate .obj files in some other 3d app and import them independently from each outer through the topology path described above very tedious and boring labor this is. I hope the workflow will be improved in the final release.

See you in version 3... I will get it after returning from my vecation

Sheers!

PS. One more bug is that my app craches if I save the mesh in OpenGL with some of the advanced shaders and then try to open it up in DX.

Hi Jim

Latest version is 3.00.07.

Maybe first try out the latest.

Oki, I tried it in 3.00.07 (demo mode as it is not remembering my old serial even if I get a confirmation it was approved it hangs, and asks for the serial on every restart... strange).

The workflow problem above is still there. The shader problem is gone though. I Ill see if I can post this topic in a more appropriate thread as this tread probably should be closed down.