them already, we have implemented (actually Andrew) a very important

milestone in LiveClay and the future of 3DC: subcells! , is the

posibility to refine any voxel to any level, previously 3DC used

static voxels so in order to increase resolution you have to add

globally more voxels, now you can refine any voxel into 8 subcells and

each of them into 8 more and so on! currently is in a raw state and

only functional for Surface LiveClay, it basically allows to have a

hierarchical dynamic mesh partition so performance of LiveClay is

fully local and is independent from the global mesh reosolution :)

you can keep adding more detail and detail in smaller and smaller

zones on the model as long as you want, I think this is awesome now

and a critical comercial feature, it can be used for the rest of the

bruses since the required changes was minimal :)

Moreover, for Volumetric LiveClay this is the foundation too so is

closer than you may think ;)

I'm currently dealing with improve and cleaning topology before

tackling mesh reduction (simplification pen)

Cheers

Raul

We are shaping a very powerfull 3D sculpting app :)

• Advanced Member

Phil,

yes and yes. If I understood correctly, dynamic tessellation is in surface mode, but the idea will be used in voxels mode as well.

After some experience in sculptris, the reducer brush will be the most important and crucial. Working on this, a fine tuning of the tools, a "golden section" is needed. Have you tried Sculptris?

if it works in voxels that would really be something. The only thing that worried me about this was being stuck in Surface mode, not be able to go back to Voxels. I used sculptris in it's early days, then once after pixologic got their mitts on it. I was never a huge fan, though it did improve some over time.

• Advanced Member

Imagine sculptris (some improvement there -beta tester here lol) with the ability of boolean operations, holes etc. It was my dream.

Go for retopo then, a dream of pixologic. lol. Go for after retopo multires sculpting then... a dream of 3dcoat.

I love workflows, I tested it, using 3dc>sculptris>3dc>zb or any other combination. Phil, its avery powerful combination indeed.

Soon you'll have it in one package.

Here something interesting I found

http://vimeo.com/14986178

• Advanced Member

Here something interesting I found http://vimeo.com/14986178

This indeed looks very interesting as also the latest Meshmixer-Developments. Seems that adaptive Meshing can offer Features which get

pretty close in some area to what is doable with Voxels - with the added advantage that Textures are supported already while Sculpting,

• Advanced Member

Great work with the beta of LiveClay, i have recently been wondering if LiveClay will have CUDA acceleration at some point? It seems quite fast already though but that will make it even faster. :)

I posted some bugs i found here but you probably know about all of these already - http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6634&view=findpost&p=62711

By the way i just noticed someone posted on your blog that the link to the beta download is broken, i tried it and got a 404 error.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Just wanted to send a huge thanks your way Raul and my appreciation towards both you and Andrew for this collaboration. I've been playing around with the workflow I've always wanted in a single app and loving the results. The freedom of voxels to block out combined with detail work in surface/live clay mode is amazing! I'm getting a massive precision boost without sacrificing performance as I only use live clay on the areas I want to fine tune.

Cheers and thanks for all your effort!

James

We are getting much closer to a full version of LiveClay.

Good news! I'm almost finishing surface LiveClay, Dynamic Mesh Reduce

tool is implemented along with Dynamic Mesh Refine and few other

interesing combination of both ;) I have sended today the code to

Andrew for feedback and few small bugs hunting.

And also I have implemented radial symmetry! this will be a very

useful and desired tool ;)

http://farsthary.wordpress.com/

Cheers

Raul

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

It looks good.

I'm impressed how well the reducer performs, especially near symmetry area. (though I noticed a small problem).

There's always dangerous to have lot of edges connected on vertices, it seems that Raul found a way to avoid it.

Further in the roadmap is the mesh simplification feature, dynamic subdivision is not only adding detail but also removing detail.

All of that in the Surface mode, but eventually all of those tools will be replicated into the Voxel Room to get a very powerfull Voxel LiveClay that will allow interchangeability between both modes without loosing adaptive detail and improving memmory footprint a lot

This is the best news for me and this is actually what missed me the most in my workflow !

Good job

For me all this looks like someday there will be two modeling parts inside 3D Coat:

1. Basemeshes in voxels

2. Go in detail and finalising in LiveClay

But at the moment I get the feeling voxels beginning to be obsolete in the future, because of liveClay... very interesting.

Best wishes

Chris

But at the moment I get the feeling voxels beginning to be obsolete in the future, because of liveClay... very interesting.

LiveClay is cool for sure, but there are quite a few things it can't do like Warp, Curves, painting geometry in thin air. Sure it could happen, but we just have to wait and see I suppose.