3DCoat Forums

Steampunk Spider Tank

Deadman21

• Advanced Member

Been working on this for quite some time. Its another test of hard surface modeling in just voxels. I love working this way :clapping:

Modeled in 3d-coat - retopoed - painted - rendered in Carrara Pro 7.1

The legs are separate pieces from the body then replicated in Carrara to create all eight legs. Turret is also separate.

post-488-1241030187_thumb.jpg

post-488-1241030204_thumb.jpg

post-488-1241030216_thumb.jpg

post-488-1241030237_thumb.jpg

post-488-1241030255_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Contributor
This is a nice model. I like your final scene. Good angle and everything.

I'm puzzled by an apparent lack of a means for articulating the legs beyond rotating at the base. Maybe some servo-mechanisms at the joints or the more traditional hydraulics would do.

• Advanced Member
I'm puzzled by an apparent lack of a means for articulating the legs beyond rotating at the base. Maybe some servo-mechanisms at the joints or the more traditional hydraulics would do.

Thanks everyone having fun with this one :rolleyes:

@Tony Nemo: Currently thats what im in the process of creating. Looking a probably using hydraulic type system. The only thing i wory about is making it to complex and taking away from the model. Its one of those artistic questions of how much becomes to much.

• Contributor
Thanks everyone having fun with this one :rolleyes:

@Tony Nemo: Currently thats what im in the process of creating. Looking a probably using hydraulic type system. The only thing i wory about is making it to complex and taking away from the model. Its one of those artistic questions of how much becomes to much.

I see your problem. I would use servos, as they would be simple cylinders at the joints connected by an electrical cable, all very compact. A servo follows it's controller located within the tank (invisible, of course). An example is the old "Engine Order Telegraph" where the captain says, "All ahead full, Mr Beasley". "Aye, aye, Captain! All head full!". The change to "Full" is repeated in the engine room so that the firemen know what is needed from the boiler.

In the case of the Steam Spider Tank, the servos would respond with the angular changes required by the forward, sideways, or backward motion of the tank.

• Advanced Member

I like it, I think it would be cool to see some dirt and scratches on the feet and the webbed pilot window would look cool if it was transparent and lit from the inside with a greenish light or a golden light? the background is too similar in colour to the robot you might want to do a colour gradient in desaturated green or something on the background and just to bring the robot out and make the scene more interesting.