3DCoat Forums

cuda + kepler

robotbob

• Advanced Member

http://www.tomshardw...ries,14642.html

Yeah...this is all the more reason for Andrew to re-compile CUDA for 3D Coat to bring it up to date, and hopefully get it much more involved in the application. I have been using the app for over 3yrs now and I still don't know to what extent it is incorporated in the voxel workflow (only really large brush sizes, using Masks?). I think this is one reason why NVidia isn't as gung-ho about it as they are with Mari. It has a very limited role. Get it involved in the Paint Room. The multi-threading there is so silky smooth up to a point (really large brush sizes, some brush types are much slower than others, and large texture sizes...8k maps+). Handing that task over to the GPU with CUDA when the pixels per brush stroke ratio reaches an arbitrary level, could make 3D Coat really shine as a texture painting application.

i think every user with a nvidia card out there (like me ), will appreciate when they can actually enjoy the CUDA-boost. :) :)

the thing i really like about the potential of cuda is a much cheaper upgrade cycle for my hardware.

i can upgrade my video card instead of my CPU to get a much faster machine - for the software that uses cuda.

that can be much much cheaper overall. that and the recent awful flickering ATI drivers make nvida a better choice anyway.

adobe has embraced cuda and i use their products every single day and thats why i am mostly interested in this.

still a while to wait - april / may so i guess we will know if these numbers are real as its not official.