3DCoat Forums

Problems with UV Layout in Paint Room

Gian-Reto

• Advanced Member

Hi all

Okay, after some tips and tricks from you and some experimentation I got a step further with getting my voxel sculpt into the paintroom.... but now I face new problems. Please look at the pictures below and help me to determine how to prevent this artefacts:

Pic 1: A part of the head in the voxel romm: no Artefacts whatsoever

Pic 2: The same part in the paint room. Ugly artefact in heightmap and ambient occ map visible.

Pic 3: The same problem appearing on the chest of this character, with the additional hint that the UV Map is not really symmetrical.

What I did was to clean my retopo, autocreate the seams (not the best idea? Seemed to work for most parts), apply the symmetry, unwrap the uv, sort uv cluster, and spread uv cluster function. then I merged it ll into the scene for Pixel painting, not using displacement.

Someone having an Idea what I did wrong? What could I do better? Obviously I went the lazy route with the Seams and the UV Layout, what do I need to do to get a perfectly symmetrical UV Layout, and still being able to see both parts of the symmetry in the paint room? How can I get rid of faces in the UV I don't need (basicly faces created by mistake that I can't delete in the 3d Viewport)?

Thanks for any help

gian-Reto

post-6386-0-31597000-1323032511_thumb.pn

post-6386-0-47707100-1323032517_thumb.pn

post-6386-0-16707400-1323032526_thumb.pn

• Reputable Contributor

First, did you delete any previous merged models from the paint room?. Delete the model from the objects tab in the paint room, lower right hand corner of the interface. Then delete all layers except layer "0". This is only if you have merged your model at least one time. You need a clean slate in the paint room for re-merging.

Autoseams can create seams that cross non-planner polygons "polygons that cross two axis" at extreme angles causing artifacts. Try and get rid of extreme angle seams in your auto seams uv map.

To get the best symmetrical uv map requires manual retopoing and seam making.

Rule of Thumb

create your retopo mesh, applying symmetry as needed to keep everthing nice and tidy.(unless you did autoretopo) then apply symmetry after your mesh appears in the retopo room.

create uv seams, turning on symmetry if necessary and then applying as needed. If you use autoseams then clean the seams up to prevent artifact problems.

Unwrap to create the uv map

Merge into the paint room (merging options under the retopo menu)

If everthing went well, your done.

If not then delete the model and layers but not layer "0" from the paint room

fix problem areas

remerge.

I'm a hobbyist for a number of years but a professional might have a different work method...

• Advanced Member

Okay, I bit the bullet and did make manual seams to see if it helps.... as before though I hit a wall when I unwrap (see picture). There seem to be tris somewhere out of reach that are both very big and not reachable by normal means (tried to delete them)... The reason why there are two of them is because I applied the Symmetry.

What exactly are they? How can I get rid of them? Any idea? they really mess up my UV Set.

Thanks

Gian-Reto

post-6386-0-60120500-1323076074_thumb.pn

• Reputable Contributor

I seen this before,but it normally seems to arise on imported meshes. I think in those cases it how the other application handle uv sets and materials in exporting and then how 3DCoat reads them on importing,though I am only guessing here.

You can choose to select only the tris in your retopo mesh. (they will be shown with the normal yellow section edges around them.)

Retopo room / retopo menu / select faces.

Check to see how many uv sets that 3DCoat thinks is associated with your model.

Uv sets (names) are located in the upper left hand corner of the interface in the retopo room. This is for trouble shooting purposes...

Without having the 3DCoat file sometimes it hard to figure out what is going wrong in these cases, I can only kinda shoot in the dark...

post-518-0-00012200-1323098454_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

selecting all tris and deselecting all the tris in the retopo mesh did the trick. Quite laborious but it worked, thats all that matters :)

Aaaaand in other news: thanks to me being able to unwrap without this anyoing tris being in the way and (so I guess) my beatiful (read: noobish, but working ;) ) seams, the model in the paint room now looks gorgoes... or, at least, the ugly artefacts are gone.

Well, it all looks so easy when someone points out the obvious for you... thanks guys for doing just that! ;)

Gian-Reto