3DCoat Forums

Modo appLink

vfxdomain

• Advanced Member

Actually, I think I made it work. It's now working fine on Modo 10.1 even being a beta. 
What I did:

1. installed the applink as described on instructions (did a manually install). 
2. created TWO .txt files on the Exchange folder inside of 3D Coat's V3 folder under Users/Documents. Did the same on other folders/versions just in case. 
3. These TWO .txt files are exactly the ones as described on the error message when trying to bring something from 3D Coat to Modo. textures.txt and export.txt

Exporting from Modo to 3D Coat trough applink works fine. To bring it back, inside 3D Coat go to File > Export To > Modo. Nothing happens, but on Modo just need to use the applink and then Import From 3D Coat. It brings the mesh, textures and else. 

Edited by dimitribastos

Thanks dude, I'll try that as soon as i finish a project - deadlines u.u- However, as you point in the beta topic, i think it's an obj issue from Modo side. I think it's a seneca or farfarer plugin that let you export from the item tab. That obj exporter works fine with the uv set issue. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It is a shame that Pilgway didn`t update the Modo Uplink script since  "13/05/11 00:05 Last Update" and it is a shame that Pilgway do not support the Modo community anymore. In 3d Coat 4,7 is no more Modo preset, even in the export setup.

I don`t know what the strategy of the company is but regarding to this support I´m quite dissapointed. I will not expect that Pilgways strategy will change in the next time. It didn`t change since 2011!

Can somebody from the Modo Community fix this script so that it works in Modo 10 and 11?

I and I thnik a lot of Modo users will apreciate this effort. Thx.

• 1 month later...
  • Reputable Contributor
On 7/14/2016 at 0:40 AM, bma_japan said:

change 3dc_applink.py text

\\Documents\\3D-CoatV3\\Exchange\\
to
\\Documents\\3D-CoatV47\\Exchange\\

all OK.

To those who are having difficult making the applink work, make sure to follow this step.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

I have an updated applink version for you. This is a first relaunched version, so expect to see some bugs and please do report about them =). Currently It built for Modo version 9.01+. I can probably downgrade system requirements to 8.01 in upcoming releases.

pic01.jpg.916d5ec10a7500ef7914654b05d30e7f.jpg

How to install?
- Goto your Modo user folder:
    by default it's here "C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\Luxology"
    or you can run Modo and click in System menu "Open User Folder".

- Copy an entire "coat" folder from archive to "Kits" subfolder.
- Don't forget to reboot Modo.

After installation you should have a 3D-Coat submenu in main panel

pic02.jpg.5ea23abbe181cbc825fffb0d71bdaca6.jpg

Applink has not been tested properly on macos and linux yet. Working on it.

3dcoat_for_modo_v2.0.0.zip

Edited by Styler
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Styler said:

Hey guys,

I have an updated applink version for you. This is a first relaunched version, so expect to see some bugs and please do report about them =). Currently It built for Modo version 9.01+. I can probably downgrade system requirements to 8.01 in upcoming releases.

pic01.jpg.916d5ec10a7500ef7914654b05d30e7f.jpg

How to install?
- Goto your Modo user folder:
    by default it's here "C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\Luxology"
    or you can run Modo and click in System menu "Open User Folder".

- Copy an entire "coat" folder from archive to "Kits" subfolder.
- Don't forget to reboot Modo.

After installation you should have a 3D-Coat submenu in main panel

pic02.jpg.5ea23abbe181cbc825fffb0d71bdaca6.jpg

Applink has not been tested properly on macos and linux yet. Working on it.

3dcoat_for_modo_v2.0.0.zip

Thanks a bunch, Styler. It is sorely needed. :good2:

13 minutes ago, Adions said:

The Folder instalation is correct and I also setup the excange Folder and 3d Coat Path in the kit. Any Ideas?

1) Does the Exchange folder points to correct 3d-coat version? In your case it must be:

'..Documents\3D-CoatV47\Exchange'

2) Take a look Event log, applink reports about its actions and errors

Edited by Styler

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor
On 9/15/2017 at 8:56 AM, Styler said:

I tried 4.7.24 and it doesn't work, indeed. I guess you need to install 30+ version, which contains are a few critical fixes for applink export data.

Styler, with 4.8 being released, what do we need to change, or can you update the applink to include the change?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone! I just discovered 3Dcoat a few weeks ago, was so impressed I bought it. while I was trying it out on a PC I downloaded the a--link and set it up as the button in the early documentation and it worked. but now the Im at home and on a mac, I can NOT seem to get it to work at all.  So, I have read through this thread and I'm still not getting it. So I have a few questions.

1.) when I first run the plugin, I have already placed the "coat" folder in "content/Kits" and the menu shows up and i can open the pallet. So I'm pretty sure that part is working. Next I go to Options. and set the 3DCoat Path to "/Applications/3D-CoatV4-8/3D-Coat.app"  the Exchange folder I don't really understand and I feel this is my problem. So I leave it at it's default "/Users/bradhayes/Documents/3D-CoatV4/Exchange" 

Now when I click per-pixel-painting as my output,  at first noting appeared to happen. but then I checked the event log. and I could see that it was doing something. THEN i discovered a file called "import.txt" in the exchange folder. and that pointed me to "/Users/bradhayes/Documents/ModoDefaultScene/3dcoat/export.obj"  but 3D-Coat dose not react to this at all. So basically it's saving an .obj in a random folder. 

2.) How can I get it to put the obj where I want it, and how can I get  3D_Coat to recognize that something has been exported?

Previously when using the demo on the PC, 3Dcoat would just know there had been an export and try to load it the next time I switched to the 3D-Coat app. 

Any Help would be much appreciated. 

Cheers

Brad J Hayes

>> does the applink work with Linux versions of 3DCoat and Modo?
it should

>> the Exchange folder I don't really understand and I feel this is my problem. So I leave it at it's default "/Users/bradhayes/Documents/3D-CoatV4/Exchange"
You have to set this folder to point where are your export information will be placed. if you are using Coat V4.8 you have to point it to "3D-CoatV48/Exchange" folder

Regarding Linux/Macos versions - they were not tested properly yet. I have a plan to fix all issues on next week, when my Linux/MacOs machine will be up and running.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Styler said:

if you are using Coat V4.8 you have to point it to "3D-CoatV48/Exchange" folder

I am,  and I did. It is still saving the .obj as "/Documents/ModoDefaultScene/3dcoat/export.obj" 

Is that what it is supposed to do? And secondly how can I get 3DC to recognize and import that file? 

Every time when you send mesh to 3DCoat by clicking one of export buttons, it does export the current selection to 3dcoat sub folder in your project root. If you have a brand new scene and haven't saved it yet applink will export data to "/Documents/ModoDefaultScene/3dcoat/export.obj". During the export process it also save extra data to Exchange folder where 3DCoat is looking up for new files for importing. If he found some, you'll see the import dialog in 3DCoat. Currently MacOs blocks running 3DCoat from Modo, so make sure that you have 3D-Coat running first. As I mentined before, I'll take a look the MacOS version on next week.

PS> Besides that you can always drop your model file directly to 3D-Coat to do wherever you want.