• Contributor

>>>> For latest version check this <<<<

new update

Version 3.0.3

------------------------------------------------------

new update

Version 2.0.1
Fixed:
- Issue with platform detection on some Linux distributions (Linux)
- Applink now recognizes correctly when 3D-Coat is running (Linux/MacOS)
- Default location for 3D-Coat exchange files (MacOS)

3dcoat_for_modo_v2.0.1.zip

-------------------------------------------------------------

To those who are having difficult making the applink work, make sure to follow this step.

bma_japan:

change 3dc_applink.py text

\\Documents\\3D-CoatV3\\Exchange\\
    to
    \\Documents\\3D-CoatV48\\Exchange\\

all OK.

################################################################################

# Description: 3D-Coat AppLink functionality for Luxology modo

# Version: 1.01

# Author: Ilia Zaslavsky <|> Email: vfxdomain@gmail.com <|> Web: http://flavors.me/vfxdomain

# Credits: Gwynne Reddick <|> Web: http://www.modonize.com

# Last Update: 00:05 13/05/11

# 3D-Coat Home Page: http://www.3d-coat.com

# Notes: Auto-Import functionality added for compatibility with File -> Export to -> Modo feature in 3D-Coat

################################################################################

Installation:

Unzip the archive.

Choose 'Run Script' from the 'System' menu (Shift-F5).

Navigate to where you've unzipped the zip file and

double click on 'install.py'.

In the next dialog, you need to navigate back to .

the same directory (the same one where 'install.py' is located,

not InstallFiles directory!) so that the install script can find

the files it needs to install.

If the installation was successfull, a dialog 'Installation Complete' should pop up.

Restart modo.

After restarting you can add AppLink button to modo, by duplicating one of

the existing buttons, (Horizontal Toolbars / modo Modes / Vertices) for example.

You can do it by choosing System -> Form Editor from the menu, then hitting

"Find Form" button and selecting Vertices selection mode button. You'll see

Vertices item highlited in Form Editor, Right Click -> Duplicate on this item.

Now rename duplicated item to 3DC AppLink, remove all text from 'command' field,

enter this text instead and hit 'Return': @3dc_applink.lxm

Choose custom icon, you should have 3dc_applink.png icon in your Luxology\Scripts folder.

On 6/12/2016 at 11:50 AM, dimitribastos said:

Actually, I think I made it work. It's now working fine on Modo 10.1 even being a beta. 
What I did:

1. installed the applink as described on instructions (did a manually install). 
2. created TWO .txt files on the Exchange folder inside of 3D Coat's V3 folder under Users/Documents. Did the same on other folders/versions just in case. 
3. These TWO .txt files are exactly the ones as described on the error message when trying to bring something from 3D Coat to Modo. textures.txt and export.txt

Exporting from Modo to 3D Coat trough applink works fine. To bring it back, inside 3D Coat go to File > Export To > Modo. Nothing happens, but on Modo just need to use the applink and then Import From 3D Coat. It brings the mesh, textures and else. 

Installation for modo 301/302:

AppLink should also work in older modo versions, such as 301 and 302. To use AppLink script

in modo 30x on Windows OS, you should install Python 2.4 (even if you already have higher version

of Python installed, such as 2.5/2.6/2.7/3.1, it won't help to run AppLink in modo 30x, install

Python 2.4 - it could coexist with any and all Python versions already installed without any problem

as long as it's installed in it's own folder - default installation option in Python installers).

Download last Python 2.4 for Windows here:

Python 2.4.4 (FINAL)

On Mac OS AppLink should work in modo 30x without installing Python.

Usage:

In modo, select object(s) you want to edit in 3D-Coat, run AppLink UI via created button

or by entering @3dc_applink.lxm in the 'command' field in the bottom-right of the modo UI,

choose 3D-Coat Export Type and hit 'Export to 3D-Coat' button. Choose the name and location

of the file and set file type to .obj

Run 3D-Coat (or bring the focus to it's window if 3D-Coat was started earlier), a dialog

with options based on your 'Export Type' selection in AppLink script should pop up. Set

needed options, hit 'OK' and edit imported mesh to your heart content, using 3D-Coat's rich

features for Texture Painting, UV Editing, Retopo and Sculpting. When done, select File ->

Open in Originall App from 3D-Coat main Menu.

Now go back to modo, hit 'Import from 3D-Coat' button to bring edited mesh with textures

and maps created in 3D-Coat back to modo, shaders will be created and texture maps

assigned to the correct shader effects (displacement, normals, specular and color).

You can repeat the whole process as many times as needed.

Usage (Auto-Import):

Now you can send meshes to Modo straight from 3D-Coat, by using File -> Export to -> Modo menu in 3D-Coat.

Modo will be started if needed, and mesh will appear in the scene automatically within 45 seconds (Use this time to choose export options and to save files in 3D-Coat).

If Modo started earlier, to get geometry and textures you've exported from 3D-Coat

via File -> Export to -> Modo menu use "Get from 3D-Coat" button in AppLink GUI as usual.

!!!---IMPORTANT---!!!

To use Auto-Import functionality (originating from 3D-Coat, by using File -> Export to -> Modo) you should use normal AppLink at least once, so it could create needed files for Auto-Import functionality.

Video Demonstration:

3D-Coat AppLink-Modo_V1.1.zip

Modo_AppLink_V1.1_Manual_Install.zip

3dcoat_for_modo_v2.0.1.zip

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Great Script. Only I wish I could select and export several meshes at once and several merged objects could use the same UV map name but that causes problem with obj format for some reason.

I agree. Being able to only do one mesh at a time is kind of a bummer, especially when you have a character/object that is comprised of multiple parts. Maybe that is something that could be added?

• 2 months later...

Hi guys. I'm a user of Modo and I bought this program to expand the possibilities. But now I found that applink not work for my configuration (OSX 10.8.2, modo 601,3DC-3.7). All of the install instructions in the forum did not work. Maybe I did not understand something or need to wait for the release of 3DC-v4?

• 1 month later...

Just would like to confirm that I am getting the same error message for Modo app link as the above user Jeemale (Modo 601 on Mac OSX-10.6.8) . In fact can't get the applink options menu to show drop down menu options. Just get a blank drop down and error message.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

if one of you that having Problems using a V4 Beta please have a look at your Exchange Folder in V3 of 3dCoat it was in a subfolder named 3d-CoatV3 in V4 Folder Name was

3d-CoatV4.

In the Modo Applink in this Tread all Folder directions have the old pre V4 Beta Applink Path see here in source Code

\\Documents\\3D-CoatV3\\Exchange\\import.txt

you can try the manual Installation in this Forum a few posts later there the Folder is Hardcoded in Script to new Exchange Folder

normally if you have not deleted your old Exchange Folder in your Documents Folder all must work ok but if you deleted this Exchange Folder

you can make manually a new one or use the other manually install of Modo Applink for V4 Beta and higher.

Main problem is that in V3 all Applinks are searching a Exchange Folder in a Folder called 3d-coatv3 if Andrew leave all like it in this Beta works

than with 3dCoat V5 all Users have tree 3d-coatVx Folders it was much better do now a break go out of that Folder to a Folder Like Documents Applink

or else.

It is no real good Idea that 3dCoat works in a Folder called 3d-coatV4 but searching for Applink in a Folder called 3d-coatV3, all Applinks need that

this Folder Exist the Path is in most ones hard coded.

Best

Andre

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely not Working. Under Modo 701(OS X - 10.8.3) and tried following instructions exactly. Same Error as above. I have tried to edit the python script as well.

Hi

SYSTEMDRIVE is a Variable that points normally to your Root of OSx Installation Drive.

It seems that on your System that can´t be read or getting a wrong answer.

You can do two ways to get it running first Way:

Download Onyx here: http://www.onyxmac.com

Start Onyx and go to Tab "Automize"

make all options on and do that before you go sleep ;-) let it run after complete do a reboot and try the App link again.

If that does not working for you try to change

SYSTEMDRIVE = ''

to

SYSTEMDRIVE = '/'

on line 42 in file 3dc_applink.py

best

Andre

Definitely not Working. Under Modo 701(OS X - 10.8.3) and tried following instructions exactly. Same Error as above. I have tried to edit the python script as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Anyone figure out how to assign the V4 folder instead of the V3? I was able to install the Applink fine, but it's not working because the scripts have not been updated to look in the MyDocs/3D Coat V4 directory. And the ability to export from 3D Coat V4 directly to Modo (FILE > EXPORT TO > Modo) is not there. All because this script has not been updated.

Please fix. Thanks.

EDIT: I found that you have to first export a model from Modo to 3D coat, via the Applink, then you will have an EXPORT TO > Modo option in the FILE menu. You have to use that to send a mesh to Modo, then when in Modo, you have to select IMPORT from 3D Coat. If you try to just export it directly from 3DC in the FILE menu, that is not enough. The 3ds Max Applink, it is. The change will be there immediately on returning to Max. So, with these extra steps, it should work for the most part.

This helped me with 3DCoat4 and Modo 701

• 1) Open the folder C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Luxology\Scripts
  • 2) You will find 2 files with the extension .py there, 3dc_applink.py and 3dc_applink_auto.py
  • 3) Open those files in notepad or any other plain text editor
  • 4) Make a search and replace  from  CoatV3 to CoatV4 and then save

I cant give any guarantee but for me it worked.

I have attached those files already edited by me for those who are lazy :D

Scripts.rar

Edited by rstralberg
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

I'm using V4 and Modo 701 Sp2 on OS X 10.8.4

Installation works fine, just need some minor changes to get it work in ML, thank you for the script  :)

Here're the steps:

( After installation, pls find these 2 files in /Users/[YOURNAME]/Library/Application Support/Luxology/Scripts )

In both "3dc_applink.py" and "3dc_applink_auto.py",  comment out these 3 lines :

# SYSTEMDRIVE = os.environ['SYSTEMDRIVE']
# USERNAME = os.environ['USERNAME']
# HOMEPATH = os.environ['HOMEPATH']

Then add these 2 lines right after the above comments:

SYSTEMDRIVE = ""
HOMEPATH = os.environ['HOME']

Now use your editor's find/replace function to replace all "\\" with "/" (without quote)

Also find and remove all "/Documents" (without quote)

File path codes in both files should changed from this:

'\\Documents\\3D-CoatV3\\Exchange\\'

to this:

'/3D-CoatV3/Exchange/'

Last step, because I'm using V4, I changed all '3D-CoatV3' to '3D-CoatV4' in both files.

If you're using V3, you probably need to skip the last step.

Enjoy! :rofl:

Attached are the edited files for OSX 10.8, only tested with OSX 10.8.4 + 3DC V4 + Modo 701 Sp2.

After installation, pls find these 2 files in your script folder with same names and replace them. 

My procedure of using the AppLink is like this:

1. Make my model in MODO

2. Run 3dc_applink.lxm ( or click on the button/form you've mapped '@3dc_applink.lxm')

3. Choose export type, click Export to 3D-Coat, save the .obj

4. Switch to 3D-Coat, Import dialog appeared, choose import options and click ok.

5. After edit, choose File>Open in original app, choose export options and click ok.

6. Switch to MODO, run 3dc_applink.lxm ( if it's not running )

7. Click Import from 3D-Coat

Pls note that some people skip step 5 and use Export to Modo from file menu without success but in my testes it seems ok to do so.

All credits goes to the original makers of these Applinks, cheers.

edited for ML.zip

:rofl:

Edited by bona

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there,

I asked in the Modo forum, but no answer. Ich want to install the modo applink. But I'm confused who to do this.

It would be great if anyone could explain step by step what to do.

I downloaded several files. What to do with all these files? What are the applink_auto.py and the applink.py are good for? Is the install.py not enough?

I'm on a Mac (10.9.5) with Modo 801 and 3D Coat (4.1.17D)

Thanks.

45XlX_s.jpg