3DCoat Forums

New Nvidia 980 coming before Christmas; 8gb ddr5 RAM

• Advanced Member

bah, give me something with more bang for my buck.

if i didnt just get my 970, i would maybe get that ( still depends on the price).

give me something that atleast doubles the performance of the 970 before i upgrade =)

• Advanced Member

bah, give me something with more bang for my buck.

if i didnt just get my 970, i would maybe get that ( still depends on the price).

give me something that atleast doubles the performance of the 970 before i upgrade =)

I'm still on a 560Ti X2 so I cannot wait for this beast.

• Advanced Member

I'm really enjoying my 980, it's 5 to 6 times faster than my old 460.  :D   I still use my 460 for the display and keep the 980 for doing CUDA rendering.  In my testing with Cycles and Octane it's almost as fast as a 780, but much slower than a 780ti.  Hopefully these new versions will have a wider bus or they do some tweaking to the drivers, etc. so they are faster than a 780ti?

• Advanced Member

I had seen those benchmarks but I don't know how they tested the cards.  The results we have been getting with this testing here are much different:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?350975-The-new-Cycles-GPU-2-72-Benchmark/page6

Scroll down for the spreadsheet of results.  Mine is under Grimm of course.  By playing around with the tile size I was only able to get the render down to 7 min. (256X256)

• Advanced Member

There is still a possibility that these cards can be speeded up some.   They are talking about splitting up the kernels to get better performance in Cycles, the Octane devs have a 980 they are playing with.  I guess we will see if they can come up with something.   Also Nvidia might have some tricks they can put in the drivers.  For awhile there Fermi cards were stomping Kepler cards until the later drivers have turned that around.  It's a waiting game now.  

Edited by Grimm

• Advanced Member

For now, however, it is difficult to say how much doubling the RAM in the latest graphics cards real impact on their performance in games at the highest resolutions. Currently, none of the single-structure does not allow for comfortable play in 4K resolution with high-quality graphics settings. It was only in configurations with multiple GPU is now fully possible to achieve, and if we add the technique of "upgrading" graphics, such as even antialiasing, this memory subsystem, or rather its efficiency, is issued to the greatest test. As we know in SLI or CrossFire configurations RAM capacity of individual cards do not add up, so it is conceivable that the use of 8 GB proves to be the best exercise is in such systems.

We must therefore wait for the first tests of the 8-gigabyte graphics card to be able to say whether it is worth to buy them individually whether they are actually valuable only in larger "groups". Sources in Japan say that the GeForce GTX 980 with 8 GB of RAM should appear in November or December of this year.

• Advanced Member

Abstrax, one of the Octane developers posted this today:

Just for your information: I'm currently working on improving the performance of Octane on the GTX 980. We don't have a GTX 780 at the office but several Titans and Titan Blacks. For now I'm only working on path-tracing, so I can't say anything about the other kernels, but I could reduce the speed difference to about 10-20% compared to a Titan Black. In at least one big interior scene the difference is even only a couple percent. The differences were somewhere in the range 30-60% before.

I think/hope that there is still room for improvement, but it's quite tedious. I think at least half of the speed difference is due to the CUDA toolkit. Now that I better understand the situation I will try to get in touch with NVIDIA next week. But as a first guess, I would say that the GTX 980 will stay slower than a Titan Black.

Looks like the CUDA tool kit might be a lot of the problem, it's improving step by step though.  :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Pcie 2.0 should not be a problem, that is what I have on my motherboard and it works fine.  Pcie 3.0 is backwards compatible.  Would you be happy with one?  I guess it depends on what you want to do.  For games it's the fastest card on the planet, for GPU rendering not so much.   :)  It was a nice upgrade for me, 2 Gbytes more vram, many more CUDA cores = much faster rendering with less heat and power usage.  Depending when and if the newer cards come out and are cheap enough, I might sell mine and get one of the new ones.  Shouldn't be too hard to sell it as the gamers really love them.