3DCoat Forums

LightWave3D, cross grade offer, half price

Carlosan

• Reputable Contributor

At least it's still showing some life...unlike Messiah. I will commend Rob and LW3DG on addressing a number of longstanding weaknesses. Genoma looks pretty darn slick, if you ask me...and if you do Character Animation work at all, you really need to add Rhiggit (2). Between those two systems, LW's CA toolset is no longer the sore thumb it used to be. It's dynamics are coming along well, got instancing covered back in LW 10. It's got a lot of redeeming qualities, but that split app structure has always been a deal breaker for me. Genoma should exist exclusively in Layout and ALL weighting/skinning should be done there, as well. It would be a pain in the bum to have to keep popping back and forth between two apps just to do what I'm already doing in one app (Max).

With that said, what I think Rob should do is relaunch CORE...as a 2nd app. It sort of was like that, when it was first introduced, but the difference is they wanted to put all their eggs into one basket. But I say, "why not diversify?" I mean if Rob is going to develop Chronos and Nevron Motion and sell them separately, why not CORE, too? Have most of the current LW staff continue improving LW as they have been. But, sell CORE separately while it is being built to eventually replace LW (Classic), This way, those who want unification (like me) can have it. Those who want a new modeling toolset, can have it. Those who want to know that LW indeed is on a bright path for the future with a clean, modern app, can have it.

They can start out small (charging maybe $299-$399, depending on how much functionality it has), and as it matures, increase the price and development staff, accordingly. If Rob went this route, I'd probably buy a seat of CORE and perhaps the current LW as well. Current LW users would not get it for free, but perhaps $149 or something along those lines.

It would be an additional revenue stream, paying for itself.

• Advanced Member

I've used 3dmax cstudio and Rhiggit thoroughly in actual projects and I can tell you they are on par to each other.

In fact I prefer Rhiggit because lightwave bones are based on falloffs and not specific vertex weighting like 3dmax. Its much easier to setup characters for animation in lightwave than 3dmax.

Weighting/skinning characters on a fast paced environment is better in lightwave because of this.

With Rhiggit 2 its now even more modular rigging and the retargetting is even superior to cstudio. The only thing missing are procedural walk cycles like CAT but rarely use those anyway.

LW 2015 FBX --> Unreal Engine

- FBX export to UDK is working

- Imported a rag doll from the 2015 samples, and the physics from the bones of the dolls is applied automatically

- EndoMorphs work

- Exported FBX genoma2 humanoid work

• Like 1