Notice about Feature Requests & Bug Reports

The bug reporting and feature request forums (except for the Urgent Help section) are going away soon! Please use Mantis to report any bugs and feature requests. the link to Mantis is:
3d-coat.com/mantis/

Read more about it HERE.

Photo

Support for TIF/TGA in materials/masks

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jamie

jamie

Novice

• PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:47 PM

Materials/ "Add existing folder" and "Load a new material" only works with JPG.
Could we please get the other common image formats added here?
Thanks

#2 digman

digman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:53 AM

PNG and TGA are supported. That is what I use for loading new material or mask.
What is your version of 3DCoat you are using because you should be able to use the two I mention.

The wiki manual say these are supported

BMP, DDS, JPEG or TGA. PNG is supported just not listed or not officially supported but I been using PNG for years. I think it might be an oversight in the manual.

#3 jamie

jamie

Novice

• PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

Unfortunately the format we use here is TIF, which is supported for exporting/importing onto objects but not as materials/masks.

#4 Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Novice

• PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

How about PNG plus a batch converter? It's compression algorithm is lossless, supports an alpha channel, and bit depths up to 16-bit for greyscale / 48-bit for RGB (though most of 3D Coat's functions seem to be limited to 8-bit per channel). I think Photoshop can do PNG <-> TIFF and I'm sure there are tons of other apps out there (including free) that can do it too. Better than nothing until Andrew decides to improve painting/textures/materials/rendering/etc so on and so forth.

4.1.12 x64 DX CUDA || Windows 7 SP1 x64 || Nvidia GTX670 v331.65 || Intel 3770K @ 4.5 GHz || 16 GB DDR3-1600 || SpaceMouse Pro v10 Beta 16 || Intuos4 v6.3.7-6

#5 jamie

jamie

Novice

• PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:20 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I was trying to avoid batch conversions between formats since our image libraries are huge but I guess there is no alternative while TIF/TGA formats are not working with materials/masks.
Cheers,

Jamie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users