Notice about Feature Requests & Bug Reports

The bug reporting and feature request forums (except for the Urgent Help section) are going away soon! Please use Mantis to report any bugs and feature requests. the link to Mantis is:
3d-coat.com/mantis/

Read more about it HERE.

Photo

Photofly/123DCatch style object creation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jamie

jamie

Novice

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

Hi... this is a huge ask but it would be crazy to get a photo-to-object tool inside 3d-coat - something like http://www.123dapp.com/catch

Basic idea is to import photos or a video of an object, and the tool auto-detects camera positions then generates a model.

Here's an example of results...

Since 3d-coat already has a lot of the technology - voxels, mesh generation, texture baking etc - perhaps it's possible?

Would love to hear what others think (especially Andrew!)

Cheers,

Jamie

Blue Sky Studios

#2 jamie

jamie

Novice

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:14 PM

Ha, that funny - I've heard that same line from people regarding 3d-coat.

I used Photofly to build assets for vfx shots on Chronicle last year, found it was very useful. Also currently using it to extract displacement maps for shading/texturing work on the upcoming feature here at Blue Sky.

One of my collegues put up a demo showing the technique..

#3 Jake_H

Jake_H

Novice

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:42 AM

Hi
I have been using photogrametry based generated meshes as a basis for my vis arts sculptural works for a while, on my sculpt-forms site.
3DCoat is great to work with as the meshes spat out are pretty rough topology - wise. Also sometimes you get some pretty weird artifacts with meshes - which I use as part of my process (its a visual arts thing, commercial work flow wise I would clean up the mesh and match the reference). 3DCoat alows me to work with some seriously meshed up geo (once I convert to voxel of course).

Jake

#4 Jake_H

Jake_H

Novice

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:47 AM

Maybe off topic - but check this out:
http://reconstructme.net/

Real time mesh reconstruction.

#5 jamie

jamie

Novice

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:45 AM

Not off-topic at all... it looks like that uses a similar idea to photofly. It's pretty amazing that it's even possible to auto-generate textured models from footage/photos.

#6 JamesD

JamesD

• 1 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:01 AM

Hi
I have been using photogrametry based generated meshes as a basis for my vis arts sculptural works for a while, on my sculpt-forms site.
3DCoat is great to work with as the meshes spat out are pretty rough topology - wise. Also sometimes you get some pretty weird artifacts with meshes - which I use as part of my process (its a visual arts thing, commercial work flow wise I would clean up the mesh and match the reference). 3DCoat alows me to work with some seriously meshed up geo (once I convert to voxel of course).

Jake

Jake,
I just bought 3D Coat, and I can't see where to convert my Mesh to Voxels.
Could you help?
Regards,
JamesD.

#7 Javis

Javis

Pilgway Helper

• Custodian
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,422 posts

• Interests:3D, Swimming, Hiking, Motorbiking, Shooting, Archery, Militaria, Green Technology, Sustainability, Ancient History & The Future

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:37 AM

Hi James,

In the voxel tab, activate the merge tool, in the Tool Options panel there is a button toward the bottom called "Select mesh" - This lets you load an extermal mesh file of your choice. Upon selecting/loading the mesh you'll then get a mesh in the viewport that you can move/rotate/scale at your liesure.

Vimeo|3DC Training Videos|Portfolio

Report any bugs & post feature requests on the 3DC Mantis page: http://3d-coat.com/mantis/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users