Notice about Feature Requests & Bug Reports

The bug reporting and feature request forums (except for the Urgent Help section) are going away soon! Please use Mantis to report any bugs and feature requests. the link to Mantis is:
3d-coat.com/mantis/

Read more about it HERE.

Photo

more and more smoothing, perhaps smear/blur?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Hugo Beyer

Hugo Beyer

• 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:07 AM

Love 3d coat smoothing feature, it's a handy tool for blending colors, for sure!

But, here's my request. I'm really used to softwares like PaintSAI tool or even Painter that created the smear feature. It does a great job blurring the colors inbetween your own brush size.
I wonder if maybe increasing the smoothing would create that feature? Smoothing seems so weak on intensity compared to smear. I like smoothing, I just think it needs to be more pronounced.
For painting lowpoly models that would really help!

#2 Andrew Shpagin

Andrew Shpagin

3DC creator & admin

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,590 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:24 AM

Try combination of smoothing and smudge.

#3 b33nine

b33nine

Novice

• PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:30 AM

I'd love to see the "melting" power of paint room smooth amped up significantly. On higher resolution maps it's just not effective enough.

I'd also love to be able to have projection painting work with Painter. I'm not sure it's possible because of the way Painter handles it's background layer.

#4 Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Novice

• PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

In case people aren't aware, the smudge tool is the third one down in the left row. Another way of putting it is that it's two down from the paint brush tool. I was using it earlier today while testing Ptex and found it has a tendency to generate blocky artifacts if I paint too vigorously.

4.1.12 x64 DX CUDA || Windows 7 SP1 x64 || Nvidia GTX670 v331.65 || Intel 3770K @ 4.5 GHz || 16 GB DDR3-1600 || SpaceMouse Pro v10 Beta 16 || Intuos4 v6.3.7-6

#5 joshy

joshy

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

it would be nice to see a new tool called melt. that automaticaly melts the voxels like the melting of wax in a burning candle

#6 3DArtist

3DArtist

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

Yes, a melt/gravity brush would be neat.

i.e. ZBrush:

Gravity: Gravity allows simulation of gravity, wind, magnetism, or other directional effects that 'pull' (or push) at the surface of your model. When gravity is on, your regular sculpting will be modified by a pull in the direction of the gravity. Imagine windblown cloth, or the heavy folds of elephant skin.
Gravity Direction: Determines the direction your sculpting will be pulled in as you work. Click and drag in the arrow box to set the direction.
Gravity Strength: Determines the amount of gravity push or pull as you sculpt. Set to 0 for no gravity effect.

Intel Core i7-3770K
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX 570 2.5GB
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

web: gregcopin.com

#7 Hugo Beyer

Hugo Beyer

• 8 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

Oh I was mainly requesting smear for colors, not for voxels... Smudge is not a blur function. It creates a virtual mesh that distorts/push the colors on the brush direction. There's a huge difference inbetween Smudge and Smear. And what I am requesting here is Smear on painting tools only.

If you never seen Smear make sure to check on Painter/PaintTool SAI what it does. It can also be called wetness.
I think what it does on the background is it averages all the colors that are inside the brush size and paints it on top, which makes a lot of sense if you want to blend colors.

Hey Andrew is there a way to mix both? It takes quite some time to keep switching in between these.
Using smudge doesn't get the necessary effect, really.

Posted Image

#8 Hugo Beyer

Hugo Beyer

• 8 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:44 AM

I still think this is very important, thats why I'm bumping this thread.

#9 Tony Nemo

Tony Nemo

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

It resembles Photoshop's Mixer Brush tool, which creates a smoth blend between colors.

8 core 2.5 Xeon /12 gb RAM DX 64 Cuda / 560GTX-Ti. I always use the latest build.

#10 Hugo Beyer

Hugo Beyer

• 8 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

Not so much since the mixer brush tool pushes and pulls the color into it's direction, I mainly think it needs to stay only where the brush size is. But it could work like that.

#11 Tony Nemo

Tony Nemo

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

You're right. It would need a brush that mixes color on either side of the stroke.

8 core 2.5 Xeon /12 gb RAM DX 64 Cuda / 560GTX-Ti. I always use the latest build.

#12 Hugo Beyer

Hugo Beyer

• 8 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:22 PM

Right, this is mostly because a lot of the hand painted gen texturing devs (world of warcraft, diablo3, and other hand painted games) are also concepters or they like to paint that way.
Well at least I know some. Maybe not them all, but I'm sure they would love to have such tool. And specially for big companies like Blizzard. I'm just saying this would be a plus.

#13 Hugo Beyer

Hugo Beyer

• 8 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:09 AM

no one still interested on this?

I seriously think that would make a huge difference... :(

#14 TimmyZDesign

TimmyZDesign

Apprentice

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Interests:3D Generalist

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:35 AM

Yes! I would LOVE a smear tool!
I have often had the problem of trying to blend colors together while painting on a model in the paint room. Usually I can't get a good result in 3D-Coat, so I have to send it to Photoshop, work on it there for a while (usually adding a few layers), and then send it back to 3D-Coat. it would be very nice if I could just smear it nicely in 3D-Coat and skip the Photoshop step.
Intel Xeon W3570 (4 core @ 3.2GHz) 6 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro FX 3800 (1GB GPU memory, CUDA, OpenGL)
Windows Vista Professional 64-bit
1st display is Wacom Cintiq 21UX (2nd Gen) (1600 x 1200)
2nd display is ASUS VE245H (1920 x 1080)

#15 RKS

RKS

• 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:15 AM

Neco, because 3d Coat really needs a smudge tool.

#16 esepablo

esepablo

• 6 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:20 PM

bumping for smear-like tool

#17 The.Great.ESCape

The.Great.ESCape

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Art - both digital and traditional.

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:37 AM

I'll happily add my support for a smear/smudge tool. I use those types of brushes a lot when painting in 2D

2D Toolset: PS CS6, Pixarra Twisted Brush Studio Perpetual License, Project Dogwaffle Howler 9, Sketchbook Pro 6, Manga Studio 5, Corel Painter X3, Mediachance Pattern Studio, Filter Forge 4, Smart Photo Editor, etc.

3D Toolset: 3D-Coat 4.1, ZBrush 4R6, Sketchup, Curvy 3D 3, Carrara 8.5 (pretty good rendering given the deal I got on the price), Blender, Archipelis Designer 4, Seriously considering adding Nvil, MOI, Marvelous Designer, and Vue Complete.

#18 Aleksey

Aleksey

Novice

• PipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Interests:being a nomadic traveler artist =)

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:10 PM

doesn't holding down shift do exactly this? just boost the strength up.

#19 The.Great.ESCape

The.Great.ESCape

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Art - both digital and traditional.

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:19 PM

doesn't holding down shift do exactly this? just boost the strength up.

Pressing shift when painting with the paint brush applies a blur effect which has a similar result sometimes... The smear/smudge type tools used for blending usually do blur, but they also usually have the ability to drag color along the brush's path while blurring. The amount of color being dragged is usually also adjustable by a strength setting.. There is a smudge tool in 3DC, but it's more like a nudge/liquefy tool as it does not actually blend.... basically localized brush radius image warping tools (think Power Goo). I would love to see something similar to PS Mixer brushes and the infamous finger blender added to 3DC's texturing arsenal. I've yet to see any 3D paint package with a similar tool... though maybe Mari or something has it. I have not tried all that are currently available.

2D Toolset: PS CS6, Pixarra Twisted Brush Studio Perpetual License, Project Dogwaffle Howler 9, Sketchbook Pro 6, Manga Studio 5, Corel Painter X3, Mediachance Pattern Studio, Filter Forge 4, Smart Photo Editor, etc.

3D Toolset: 3D-Coat 4.1, ZBrush 4R6, Sketchup, Curvy 3D 3, Carrara 8.5 (pretty good rendering given the deal I got on the price), Blender, Archipelis Designer 4, Seriously considering adding Nvil, MOI, Marvelous Designer, and Vue Complete.

#20 Cowtail

Cowtail

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:48 AM

I would also like to see a blend attribute for painting! It's the only reason I haven't committed to painting color maps with 3D-coat instead of with, say, Paint SAI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users