TimmyZDesign

Apprentice

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:3D Generalist

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:15 PM

Hello!

I am using 3.7.01 Windows 64 bit with CUDA.

I really like the new:
remove stretching
live clay crease

Starting to love using surface mode!

However, I am also experiencing the slow down after using 3D-Coat for a while. Restarting fixes it, but restarting often is annoying.

Also noticed that if I export OBJ from Maya, import to 3D-Coat, edit as voxels, retopo, then export new OBJ, when import back to Maya OBJ position is slightly off (even though I chose "remember position" when I imported to 3D-Coat).

A bunch of bugs, but overall 3D-Coat is great, and it is getting better all the time!
Intel Xeon W3570 (4 core @ 3.2GHz) 6 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro FX 3800 (1GB GPU memory, CUDA, OpenGL)
Windows Vista Professional 64-bit
1st display is Wacom Cintiq 21UX (2nd Gen) (1600 x 1200)
2nd display is ASUS VE245H (1920 x 1080)

#82 farsthary

farsthary

Novice

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

• Interests:3D R&D

Posted 25 November 2011 - 02:00 AM

Yes, I can confirm that slowliness , it seems to be a bug in recent updates but don't worry, we'll hunt them down!

#83 Javis

Javis

Pilgway Helper

• Custodian
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,289 posts

• Interests:3D, Swimming, Hiking, Motorbiking, Shooting, Archery, Militaria, Green Technology, Sustainability, Ancient History & The Future

Posted 25 November 2011 - 02:45 AM

This last build is pretty good. I'm having slow down when using LC for a while, and some strokes can be a little wonky. But other than that it's doing fine. I'm trying to figure out what is causing the wonkiness of some strokes compared to others, haven't nailed it down yet.

Thanks Andrew & Raul for your hard work! It is much appreciated. Please, don't let the negative or rude posters get you down! You're both doing a super awesome job. :drinks:

Vimeo|3DC Training Videos|Portfolio

Report any bugs & post feature requests on the 3DC Mantis page: http://3d-coat.com/mantis/

#84 Andrew Shpagin

Andrew Shpagin

3DC creator & admin

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,546 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:52 PM

Andrew, the delay 2-3 second delay (after each brush stroke), seems to occur after about the 200th brush stroke, I did a test with the default hi res sphere and mainly used the move tool and smooth, I counted every brush stroke I made. Using the latest 3.7.01B (CUDA)GL64) on Fedora core 14 (with all the updates), my system is 16core@2.3ghz AMD Opti, 32gb ram, mirrored 2TB drives, Quadro 4000, ASUS MoBo, system is rock solid and I also run Mudbox 2012 and ZBrush4 without any problems or delays.
By the way, I also had this exact same problem with my Intel 8core Xeon system, 16gb ram, Geforce 9800GT, also had FC14 and before that I had Centos 5.4 on it.
I hope you can sort this out soon as it is a MAJOR inconvenience when you are concentrating on the job at hand and you have to break concentration to Toggle the proxy mode.
T.

One question:

Let's say you are doing something in voxels and lags start. Try to add a new volume with something simple like sphere and cache it. Continue to work over main scene. Will lags stop temporary? If no, try uncache. Are they gone after uncaching? Are they gone after caching/uncaching an empty volume?

#85 michalis

michalis

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:27 PM

In any case, beta tools are ... beta, disable them and have a stable 3dc. Am I right? No delays then?
Testing the last mac build, I was working ~2 hours in LC mode, remove stretching etc, no delays though.
I also merged ~1M objs without voxelizing, surf-LC mode. Works fine and fast. Up to millions faces.

Will be possible in the future to directly paint in surf-sculpting mode? MVertex or zbrush similar? Without using UV maps?
MACOSX,
3DC bug reports here:
http://www.3d-coat.com/mantis

#86 Garagarape

Garagarape

Journeymen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:09 PM

Hi there, I've had a try at V3.7.01A DX64 with CUDA
and I still have an issue in voxel room.
It is impossible for me to create any primitive voxel shape.
When I open an old file done with 3.5, I can see the voxel sculpt
but trying to add a primitive sphere on it will just open
a big hole in the middle of it.
"stuck in the middle with you"....
What shall I do? Please I wanna start a new sculpt now!!! :)

#87 Garagarape

Garagarape

Journeymen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:39 PM

Hi BeatKitano!
Just realized that the Marmoset toolbag 1.05 install I dowloaded today was roten too.
It is probably a virus scan problem. I'm gonna try to download V3.7.01A once more.
If the problem remain I'll try the surface mode way.
If it works all right I'll post once more today.
It is weird, because I had the 140M dowloaded, and managed to launch 3dCoat.
Thank you for your help.

#88 Garagarape

Garagarape

Journeymen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 05:17 PM

BeatKitano,
You are my hero!
It was, just like you told me, a graphic driver problem.
Sorry to frighten everyone with a new weird bug.
Wasn't a bug, probably.
Really happy to get the problem solved. :yahoo:
Time to go to bed. work awaits in 5 hours.

#89 michalis

michalis

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:24 PM

To PC users, from a mac user, (also former pc user and maybe in the future again).
Did you, just saying, did you change the plugs of all possible USB devices, meanwhile? Especially the wacom plug?
What this has to do with GPU drivers? All these are basically serial connections. I have some bad feeling about these. Under any OS.
MACOSX,
3DC bug reports here:

#90 digman

digman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:55 PM

Version 3.7.01B 32 bit non-cuda. The problem also effects the Linux 64 bit non cuda version.
The copy tool is not respecting symmetry completely. Reported to Manits.

It appears that "Translate brush along curve" is broken again in newest beta. It does not apply the spline you selected. It just produces a small line hump.
The problem was reported fixed a few versions back. Could someone test and confirm this. Thanks...

Attached Thumbnails

• copy symmetry.jpg

#91 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,394 posts

• Interests:3D, martial arts, anime, gaming, contact juggling

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:54 PM

Will be possible in the future to directly paint in surf-sculpting mode? MVertex or zbrush similar? Without using UV maps?

To answer this question, Andrew said this was a feature slated for 4.0, so most likely we will be beta testing it before 4 launches.
Phil Nolan
Generalist
www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - Google+
Desktop: Win8.1 Pro x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
Laptop: Vista Home Prem x86, Core 2 Duo, 1.5 GHz, GeForce 8600M GS, 2GB RAM

#92 Tser

Tser

Novice

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:18 PM

Andrew, I'm not sure what you mean by cache, but I performed just over 200 brush moves and the 2 and a bit second delay occurred, I then created another volume in the root, added a primitive sphere, then went back to the original volume to work on my object and the delay period had doubled, from its 2 second before adding the new volume and sphere to 4 seconds delay now.
T.

#93 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,394 posts

• Interests:3D, martial arts, anime, gaming, contact juggling

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:07 AM

Tser: Caching your voxel mesh is hitting the hard drive icon on VoxTree layer, it's also used for multires.
Phil Nolan
Generalist
www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - Google+
Desktop: Win8.1 Pro x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
Laptop: Vista Home Prem x86, Core 2 Duo, 1.5 GHz, GeForce 8600M GS, 2GB RAM

#94 michalis

michalis

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:44 AM

I'm not sure we're understanding each other properly Michalis: were you asking the relation between usb/gpu driver ?
I said that because my driver got corrupt at some point without doing a hot-unplug on a removable disk (which could lead to driver corruption on windows in certain special cases).

Windows reassign drivers for every plug, so have a look at device manager. No matter if we understood each other. It's about OSs and how these understand us. LOL
I didn't mean a hot unplug case.
MACOSX,
3DC bug reports here:

#95 Tser

Tser

Novice

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:39 AM

Andrew, I did what you said and yes the lag disappeared after caching the sphere.
T.

#96 BurrMan

BurrMan

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:20 AM

If I cache a voxel object and restore it, it comes back voxel. If I cache it and edit it and restore it, it comes back surface mode.. Is this expected behaviour?

#97 renderdemon

renderdemon

Novice

• PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:48 AM

I also can confirm,caching a sphere and after working again over the volume that previously had lag makes this lag ends,but....after more or less the same amount of time(better to say the same amount of strokes)it happens again.
Uncaching the sphere on the other layer makes the lag ends again.

#98 Andrew Shpagin

Andrew Shpagin

3DC creator & admin

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,546 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:22 PM

Andrew, I did what you said and yes the lag disappeared after caching the sphere.
T.

Thanks! Now I am trying to do changes to prevent the problem. But it is done in a bit "blind" mode.
Try to disable "Preferences->UseMulticoreForSaving". Will it help to prevent lags?

#99 Tser

Tser

Novice

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:45 PM

Andrew, I disabled "Preferences->UseMulticoreForSaving" and it did not prevent the lag or remove the lag once it occurred.
T.

#100 digman

digman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:06 PM

Thanks! Now I am trying to do changes to prevent the problem. But it is done in a bit "blind" mode.
Try to disable "Preferences->UseMulticoreForSaving". Will it help to prevent lags?

On my old Window's XP 32 bit computer which is a single core, The lag is present.
No multicoreforsaving was ever involved and the lag still happen though.

I have noticed that sometimes (random) when you run clean surface you will start lagging at the end of the brush stroke.
Lag was still present even before the clean surface tool was added...

This is one tough bug to find>>> :blink:

Andrew and Raul, Thanks for all the improvements in 3DCoat in the last year. There is so much more I can do... Good luck on hunting those evil bugs... :angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users