13 replies to this topic

#1 Jake_H

Jake_H

Novice

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:57 AM

Hi
Just starting a new project - I am modeling up a Fantasy muscled man thing (Troglodyte is my working title for character- I was basin him off of early Urukai/cave troll concept sketchs – I loved the LOR early helmet designs)

My aim is to eventually rig this character up aiming to demonstrait knowledge of anatomy, modelling for deformation and quality skinning/rigging in Maya (as well as good texturing – a given) for my reel.

Anyway I wanted to post the base 3DCoat sculpt long before I retopo and take into Zbrush for detailing (yes I know I can do it all in 3DCoat - but prefer - Zbrush brushes at higher res levels)- I have started detail blocking in the feet - but I am undecided for his his overall look - BAH!!!

techinically I am happy with my brief above ... BUT....I am actualy stuck conceptualy - its yet another big bloke model - kind of hulk-ish (Yawn!)-

Was thinking about; perhaps taking it more in line with this guys direction:
CGFeedback Caveman

Its still early stages yet - and I am not too sure want to go too ape, I suppose I want a well muscled out of shape slob [perhaps a retired urukai - who has served his time for war crimes and now lives a quiet life].
I am also looking at PNG tribal costume -but still undecided.

Feedback welcomed
Jake

Attached Thumbnails

• GJH-baseSculpt--h-e-a-v-y_WIP01.jpg
  • GJH-baseSculpt--h-e-a-v-y_WIP02.jpg

#2 LorenzoS

LorenzoS

Novice

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:01 AM

Hi
Just starting a new project - I am modeling up a Fantasy muscled man thing (a working title for character- based off of a combination of early Urukai concept sketchs – love the early helmet designs)

My aim is to eventually rig this character up aiming to demonstrait knowledge of anatomy, modelling for deformation and quality skinning/rigging in Maya (as well as good texturing – a given).

Anyway I wanted to post the base 3DCoat sculpt long before I retopo and take into Zbrush for detailing (yes I know I can do it all in 3DCoat - but prefer - Zbrush brushes at higher res levels)- I have started detail blocking in the feet - but I am undecided for his his overall look - BAH!!!

techinically I am happy with my brief above ... BUT....I am actualy stuck conceptualy - its yet another big bloke model - kind of hulk-ish (Yawn!)-

Was thinking about; perhaps taking it more in line with this guys direction:
CGFeedback Caveman

Its still early stages yet - and I am not too sure want to go too ape, I suppose I want a well muscled out of shape slob [perhaps a retired urukai - who has served his time for war crimes and now lives a quiet lif] (also looking at PNG tribal costume -but still undecided).

Feedback welcomed
Jake

Sweet, jake_H. I love your proportions.
God is my favorite artist. He created the Heavens and the Earth!

Macbook Pro4,1 - 10.6.8 - 2gb Ram - 512mb VRAM

#3 digman

digman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:26 AM

Looking forward to see more of this charactor...

#4 Jake_H

Jake_H

Novice

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:17 PM

Blocking out the head features - I am going with the leftmost head style - just need to integrate the head into the body proportions better- adjust the facial proportions - I am aiming semi-realistic; but some features are too fine on my left most head. I dont think that I am going to go creature sculpt with him so the googly eyed head variation on the right will most likely be abandoned.

Attached Thumbnails

• GJH-baseSculpt--h-e-a-v-y_WIP03.jpg

#5 Tony Nemo

Tony Nemo

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:01 PM

They form an interesting metamorphosis.

8 core 2.5 Xeon /12 gb RAM DX 64 Cuda / 560GTX-Ti. I always use the latest build.

#6 Jake_H

Jake_H

Novice

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:29 PM

An update:
Going with the cruder face after all - I reworked it this evening making it more primitive and cruder. I have also blocked out his hands and feet and started looking at his gut. I have been looking at reference of a wierd body building phenomina called roidgut - where the abdomen is distended but still muscled - I wanted a strong mans big belly not just pure fat, it will probably be smaller in the finished version and a little softer looking than it currently is.

I am now looking at Mayan reference for final character styling - something slightly Apocolypto with regard to costume.

Attached Thumbnails

• GJH-baseSculpt--h-e-a-v-y_WIP04.jpg

#7 LorenzoS

LorenzoS

Novice

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:49 PM

Great choice. You got that roidgut on point:) Great work.

#8 LJB

LJB

Journeymen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:32 PM

Great work Jake, as always :clapping: :clapping:

Balance of the character stance feels wrong like he will fall backward and its spoiling him for me cos its a big distraction to my eye. You have the feet in a seperate layer maybe rock body forward to correct this?

Cool stuff Jake. Faces are Perfect.
Posted Image
Check out my channel on vimeo Here

#9 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,355 posts

• Interests:3D, martial arts, anime, gaming, contact juggling

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:21 AM

Very nice work, I like the head details.
Phil Nolan
Generalist
www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - Google+
Desktop: Win8.1 Pro x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
Laptop: Vista Home Prem x86, Core 2 Duo, 1.5 GHz, GeForce 8600M GS, 2GB RAM

#10 Jake_H

Jake_H

Novice

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:54 PM

Cheers Phil, LJB, Lorenzo, Tony and Digman
A quick update with a WIP retopo, been busy with other stuff - (dammmit why did I go and get a job so soon after redundancy).
LJB- yes I see what you mean LJB - and I have adjusted the base vox to suit - I will still be working the base vox back muscles details while playing about with re-topology.

Cheers
Jake

Attached Thumbnails

• GJH-baseSculpt--h-e-a-v-y_WIP06.jpg

#11 LorenzoS

LorenzoS

Novice

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:23 PM

Looks great Jake_H. Your proportions on this character are amazing.

#12 LJB

LJB

Journeymen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:48 AM

A quick update with a WIP retopo, been busy with other stuff - (dammmit why did I go and get a job so soon after redundancy).
LJB- yes I see what you mean LJB - and I have adjusted the base vox to suit - I will still be working the base vox back muscles details while playing about with re-topology.

Cheers
Jake

Much better. Less destracting.
Posted Image
Check out my channel on vimeo Here

#13 Taros

Taros

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

• Interests:Climbing

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:50 AM

Cheers
Jake

Very nice work.
A tip when you retopo: Start very basicaly, use less polys. Retopo just the main polygon stripes and work from the "top to the bottom". Means: Don't start too early with detailed topology, better subdevide later. :)

My tutorials on YouTube ----> http://www.youtube.c...raphicGladiator

My official 3D Coat blog ----> http://3dcoat.blogspot.com

My sculpting experiments on 3D Coat.com ----> http://3d-coat.com/f...?showtopic=1720

My official website ----> http://www.grafikbuero-werner.de
(My website is in german language, but I work for the international market too. Just drop a mail, if you are interested.)

German speaking CG Workshops ----> http://www.lernfaktor.de

trainingpartner_3dcoat_grey_mini.png

#14 Jake_H

Jake_H

Novice

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:28 AM

Update on Retopo
GJH-baseSculpt--h-e-a-v-y_WIP08.jpg
GJH-baseSculpt--h-e-a-v-y_WIP07.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic