3DCoat Forums

Houdini Applink

Boo Boo

Is it possible to share volumedata from an to 3d-coat / houdini ??

The real voxeldata from eg. an isosurface volume in houdini ? further sculpted in 3d-coat and brought back to houdini as a volume without any polygon converting !!!

No, since all data exchange is performed by OBJ-files, texture maps and some simple textual descriptions. We didn't consider this feature and we don't see such pipeline appropriate for production use.

We started beta-program.

You have to place 3DCoat.otl to path, where houdini may find it (OTL scanned paths) (for example - $HOME/houdini11.0/otls for Linux, $USERPROFILE/Documents/houdini11.0/otls for win)

You have to place 3dcoat.shelf to toolbar folder (for example - $HOME/houdini11.0/toolbar for Linux, $USERPROFILE/Documents/houdini11.0/toolbar for win)

3DCoat shelf contains just one button, which you have to use as start-point of organizing geometry for exporting to 3DCoat. You have to select objects or seklect them after button pressing.

COAT_OUT node will be created or reset with paths of your objects, so you may reuse it for export-inmport procedures, or rename it for later using.

This node is used as control frontend for 3DCoat data exchange. First parameter tab contains some parameters for exchange paths setup and object/material export control. Another tab used for holding import parameters. Third tab lists all object paths, it may be useful for checking, but you should'n add objects over there, since toolbar button's procedure setup objects for 3dcoat-excange procedure, and newly added object may contain not preparation nodes.

3dcoat.H11.zip

Hello,

I've downloaded the .zip file you attached and installed both the shelf and the .otl files necessary. I am, however, having a little trouble getting the files into 3dcoat. Should I just important the .obj from 3dcoat as usual? I can't quite tell from your video what is happening.

Also, I don't seem to get the 'open in original app' option, that I see you using later in the video. Is there a 3dcoat plugin for 3dcoat itself?

Thank you for your time.

We started beta-program.

You have to place 3DCoat.otl to path, where houdini may find it (OTL scanned paths) (for example - $HOME/houdini11.0/otls for Linux, $USERPROFILE/Documents/houdini11.0/otls for win)

You have to place 3dcoat.shelf to toolbar folder (for example - $HOME/houdini11.0/toolbar for Linux, $USERPROFILE/Documents/houdini11.0/toolbar for win)

3DCoat shelf contains just one button, which you have to use as start-point of organizing geometry for exporting to 3DCoat. You have to select objects or seklect them after button pressing.

COAT_OUT node will be created or reset with paths of your objects, so you may reuse it for export-inmport procedures, or rename it for later using.

This node is used as control frontend for 3DCoat data exchange. First parameter tab contains some parameters for exchange paths setup and object/material export control. Another tab used for holding import parameters. Third tab lists all object paths, it may be useful for checking, but you should'n add objects over there, since toolbar button's procedure setup objects for 3dcoat-excange procedure, and newly added object may contain not preparation nodes.

Hello,

I've downloaded the .zip file you attached and installed both the shelf and the .otl files necessary. I am, however, having a little trouble getting the files into 3dcoat. Should I just important the .obj from 3dcoat as usual? I can't quite tell from your video what is happening.

Also, I don't seem to get the 'open in original app' option, that I see you using later in the video. Is there a 3dcoat plugin for 3dcoat itself?

Thank you for your time.

You need download latest version of 3DCoat.

Hm, I don't think that's it. I have the latest version 3.5.05 64bit with CUDA support, for Windows.

Okay. Do you press Export button, which is placed at "-> 3DCoat" tab at /obj/COAT_OUT attribute panel? Only after such operation you may get objects output to obj folder andimport instruction is spooled. Don't forget to save file too.

Okay. Do you press Export button, which is placed at "-> 3DCoat" tab at /obj/COAT_OUT attribute panel? Only after such operation you may get objects output to obj folder andimport instruction is spooled. Don't forget to save file too.

Yeah. So here's what I do, just to be clear.

Create an object. Use the 3dcoat shelf to create a COAT_OUT node using the object I created as a selection. Press 'export'. This does create an .obj in the appropriate directory. I go over to 3dcoat ( which is already open ).

Do I just 'import' the .obj?

Should 3dcoat open automatically? What is the appropriate procedure.

Yeah. So here's what I do, just to be clear.

Create an object. Use the 3dcoat shelf to create a COAT_OUT node using the object I created as a selection. Press 'export'. This does create an .obj in the appropriate directory. I go over to 3dcoat ( which is already open ).

Do I just 'import' the .obj?

Should 3dcoat open automatically? What is the appropriate procedure.

Coat must show automatically a dialog box, which offer you to import a model with some additional seup for import.

Do you see obj files at directory $HOME/3D-CoatV3/Exchange ? If you close Coat, and then press Export button - do you see import.txt file over there too?

Coat must show automatically a dialog box, which offer you to import a model with some additional seup for import.

Do you see obj files at directory $HOME/3D-CoatV3/Exchange ? If you close Coat, and then press Export button - do you see import.txt file over there too?

Ahh ha. I've found the problem. I changed the $HOME/3D-CoatV3/Exchange to another directory, which I guess 3dcoat couldn't pick up. Changing it back to the original setting fixed the problem.

Thank you for the help!

Ahh ha. I've found the problem. I changed the $HOME/3D-CoatV3/Exchange to another directory, which I guess 3dcoat couldn't pick up. Changing it back to the original setting fixed the problem.

Thank you for the help!

We plan to do this directory for another purpose, than just path holder, so it is subject of change in that way, as you used it before.

Attention, please!

Current Houdini build contains strange behaviour with GLSL-shaders, so, if you push "Get Maps Back" button and see, that your geometry hides-you just need to save hip, close houdini and open hip again with another session of houdini. I will inform about such bug to SESI.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Hello,

There is a bug in the Python code for linux and OSX, this line:

fpath = fpath.replace('/','\\')

results in this being written to disk:

\data\home\bowmarp\3D-CoatV3\Exchange\import.txt

There are two solutions:

1) Simply remove the above line. Note that Houdini accepts (and in fact prefers) UNIX style paths, even if you're on Windows.

2) Use Python's "os.path" module which is platform independent.

Cheers,

Peter B

• Advanced Member

Also, just curious, why did you write your own OBJ exporter? Houdini saves .obj files natively that load into 3DCoat just fine... I can see why you'd want to write your own .mtl file (assuming it gets used by 3DCoat?) for the texture paths.

Cheers,

Peter B

Hello,

There is a bug in the Python code for linux and OSX, this line:

fpath = fpath.replace('/','\\')

results in this being written to disk:

\data\home\bowmarp\3D-CoatV3\Exchange\import.txt

There are two solutions:

1) Simply remove the above line. Note that Houdini accepts (and in fact prefers) UNIX style paths, even if you're on Windows.

2) Use Python's "os.path" module which is platform independent.

Cheers,

Peter B

Thank you, Peter, I'll apply some changes these days.

Also, just curious, why did you write your own OBJ exporter? Houdini saves .obj files natively that load into 3DCoat just fine... I can see why you'd want to write your own .mtl file (assuming it gets used by 3DCoat?) for the texture paths.

Cheers,

Peter B

Yes, I need full access of obj-exporting, due to material-exporting and separation reasons too, and embedding some additional information, like slash-enabled sub-object paths.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Advanced Member

This Applink only works on Windows because of the '/' being replaced by \\ (as I mentioned in a previous post)

You can easily fix it, edit the OTL, go to the Scripts page and at the very bottom of the code, put a hash (#) in front:

#fpath = fpath.replace('/','\\')

then it works fine :)

Andrew or BooBoo, I'm happy to fix this properly so it works on Windows or Mac/Linux. Works fine in H12 otherwise btw.

Cheers,

Peter B

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm trying out 3dc houdini applink the first time... and got stuck.

The handover from houdini to 3dc works for the geo but not for the textures. I checked the mtl-file via notepad: The two textures aren't generated in their desired location.

So I tried to put the original textures with the correct name into the folder, manually - problem persists, texture doesn't show up.

I tried with ptex paint, perpixel paint and microvertex paint. No luck at all to get the textures in 3dc... :(

Any hint?

Cheers

Marc

System: Win7-64Bit; Houdini 12.0.704; 3DC 3.7.08B(CUDA)(DX64)

• Advanced Member

I dont use the applink tool at all, feel more comfortable with importing/exporting manually.. :)

As for PTEX, its really easy to get it to work just create a surface shader node or modify a mantra surface shader node and drop in a Ptexture node and load in a .ptx file and it should be working correctly.

Also works great with displacement maps!