Notice about Feature Requests & Bug Reports

The bug reporting and feature request forums (except for the Urgent Help section) are going away soon! Please use Mantis to report any bugs and feature requests. the link to Mantis is:
3d-coat.com/mantis/

Read more about it HERE.

Photo

3D-Coat 3.2 updates thread.

• Please log in to reply
438 replies to this topic

#41 artman

artman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts
  • Interests:Henri Corbin
    Brian Wilson
    Hikaru No Go
    Noah23
    and 3DCoat.

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:47 PM

I have an 8800 GTS, you can see how it works for me in the YouTube video I posted above.

Its fast enough and screen capture must even be sucking some fps...
Maybe Maximus3D is stuck in the "twilight zone" or something.. :blink:

Maximus3d:Can you post one of your meshes?Its the only thing that hasnt been tested yet.
Phil could try it and see how it works using exact same build,with same graphic card and same mesh.
Lest limbs be reddened and rent--I spring the trap that is set--As I loose the snare you may glimpse me there--For surely you shall forget
"The Wind In the Willows", Chapter 7 "The Piper at the Gates Of Dawn"

#42 Giuseppe

Giuseppe

Novice

• PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:47 PM

i guys i have some problem but in the same room ptex perpixel e microvertex, but only if the model is lowpoly..
In hig resolutions of the obj the brushwork is quick and precise.. ythe problem is with the lowpoly model!!
I have i7 with ATI 4850
Giuseppe Albergo, CG Artist
Posted Image

#43 Maximus3D

Maximus3D

Novice

• PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:05 PM

This is not the same mesh as i used, this one has a slightly higher polycount than my mesh. But test with this and see how well it works, if it works at all..
Download

/ Magnus

#44 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,397 posts

• Interests:3D, martial arts, anime, gaming, contact juggling

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:23 PM

Works just fine. Though 3DC could use a little speed up when importing models for Ptex.

Video:
http://screencast.com/t/YjJlZDY5ZDYt
Phil Nolan
Generalist
www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - Google+
Desktop: Win8.1 Pro x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
Laptop: Vista Home Prem x86, Core 2 Duo, 1.5 GHz, GeForce 8600M GS, 2GB RAM

#45 Giuseppe

Giuseppe

Novice

• PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:51 PM

hi Maximus3D, your model in ptex paint works fine relly good, my problem is with the lowpoly model
Huge cage work fine, lowpoly is very slow in paint mode
Posted Image

#46 pbowmar

pbowmar

Novice

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:07 PM

OK I stand corrected: 3.2.02 on Linux 64 does not have the Ptex resolution change icon. Please see attached screengrab.

It does work on Windows.

EDIT: Actually it works fine, it is just the icon _graphic_ is missing. If you click in the space below it does bring the Res controls. So it's a minor issue if you know about it :)

Cheers,

Peter B

Attached Thumbnails

• noResIcon.jpg

#47 kay_Eva

kay_Eva

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:36 PM

This is not the same mesh as i used, this one has a slightly higher polycount than my mesh. But test with this and see how well it works, if it works at all..
Download

/ Magnus

import was fast for me and painting was also fast

i'm using Cuda 64 version not sure if that has anything to do with it
"Uploading 08O. But problem - no electricity now. Notebook shows 35 min to the end of power, upload - 30. Who will be the first? :)"

#48 mwgrafx

mwgrafx

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:05 PM

I'm sorry but what does Ptex mean? I read no uv's for painting. How is it different from Zbrush's automatic unwrap. Sorry for the noob question, just cant wrap my brain around it.

#49 kay_Eva

kay_Eva

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:17 AM

I'm sorry but what does Ptex mean? I read no uv's for painting. How is it different from Zbrush's automatic unwrap. Sorry for the noob question, just cant wrap my brain around it.

Well for me it means no UV unwrap, no seams in game engine (for 1st time!), and texture quality is better because the detail isn't distorted unlike when you usually unwrap things there is a slight distortion of detail depending on the unwrap.

you can see my forum pic thing to the left and there is big seams and stuff on it that appear inside of game engine idk why, but that doesn't happen anymore so that's just Ptex great
"Uploading 08O. But problem - no electricity now. Notebook shows 35 min to the end of power, upload - 30. Who will be the first? :)"

#50 Tony Nemo

Tony Nemo

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:57 AM

Well for me it means no UV unwrap, no seams in game engine (for 1st time!), and texture quality is better because the detail isn't distorted unlike when you usually unwrap things there is a slight distortion of detail depending on the unwrap.

you can see my forum pic thing to the left and there is big seams and stuff on it that appear inside of game engine idk why, but that doesn't happen anymore so that's just Ptex great

Another nice feature is the uniformity in size of the"ptels" over the whole model.

8 core 2.5 Xeon /12 gb RAM DX 64 Cuda / 560GTX-Ti. I always use the latest build.

#51 Giuseppe

Giuseppe

Novice

• PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:29 AM

Hi guys my video...
in perpixelpainting with the lowpoly model my brush moves jerkily "fragments" not fluid

http://download636.m...POLY_MODEL.zipx

in ptex my brush is very fluid it's OK

http://download18.me...mymqj/PTEX.zipx
Posted Image

#52 kay_Eva

kay_Eva

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:16 AM

Hi guys my video...
in perpixelpainting with the lowpoly model my brush moves jerkily "fragments" not fluid

http://download636.m...POLY_MODEL.zipx

in ptex my brush is very fluid it's OK

http://download18.me...mymqj/PTEX.zipx

I'm pretty sure Perpixel's has always been slower with low poly. Because you have to put more texture information over a single face, but when it's high poly, you have less info to process for each polygon.

#53 splodge

splodge

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:47 AM

Download

/ Magnus

It was totally fine with a 1024 texture size. But then when I tried it with a 4096x4096 texture then I noticed my brush strokes had become considerably slower. It was still usable though.

#54 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,397 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:13 AM

I don't know if zbrush has this or not but it's also nice that yo can increase/decrease just the texture resolution in specific areas.
Phil Nolan
Generalist

#55 ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller

Novice

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:55 AM

That is, when game engines support it. Great idea in general, only each ptex texture can only work specific to one model.

I'm also not sure how it works with triangles.

#56 kay_Eva

kay_Eva

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:49 AM

That is, when game engines support it. Great idea in general, only each ptex texture can only work specific to one model.

I'm also not sure how it works with triangles.

export to game engine works fine I've already tried it, it's just like Andrew said. Looks much better than UV unwraps did

#57 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,397 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:51 AM

export to game engine works fine I've already tried it,

How did you manage that?
Phil Nolan
Generalist

#58 kay_Eva

kay_Eva

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:21 AM

How did you manage that?

File Export Model. And it works just like that.

#59 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,397 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:56 PM

Oh When ShnitzelKiller said "when game engines support it" I think he meant support an actual ptex file, not just a model with UV map texture files. Obviously game engines support that.
Phil Nolan
Generalist

#60 Giuseppe

Giuseppe

Novice

• PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:59 PM

I'm pretty sure Perpixel's has always been slower with low poly. Because you have to put more texture information over a single face, but when it's high poly, you have less info to process for each polygon.

hi kay_Eva, strange, in the video i use only paint diffuse, "no normal and specularity" is difficult to paint properlys, the brush moves discontinuously :unsure:

strange
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users