3DCoat Forums

3D model from Photos

I succeeded in importing a photosculpt model in 3dcoat. Great! Although it is only a flat sheet now which is a bit clumsy to handle in voxels.

Hey! don't keep it for yourself, I want to see it! :clapping:

Did you managed to get the texture too?

Do you want a function to close the sheet like a wood block? Or any other idea? 8)

I'm thinking about that as I had the same request from a guy called Eric who needed that for making a rapid prototype with Shapeways.com

Do you know Shapeways? I haven't tried the service myself but it looks good. I want to make my face (the one one the web site) with this service one day. He explicitely requested to have it watertight (no holes in the sheet). That one condition is met today. I think you can print textured object too. Not sure

• Advanced Member

Do you want a function to close the sheet like a wood block? Or any other idea? 8)

That would be useful for merging into voxels.

It can now be imported as a sheet with thickness.

Also, (I've already emailed you on this)

1. PNG image support would be nice.

2. Any plans on Batch processing?

3. I'm looking forward to more robust "edit sculpt" dev features! :moil:

Great software so far! :good:

post-631-12680851344256_thumb.jpg

post-631-12680851456166_thumb.jpg

post-631-12680851624623_thumb.jpg

That would be useful for merging into voxels.

It can now be imported as a sheet with thickness.

Also, (I've already emailed you on this)

1. PNG image support would be nice.

2. Any plans on Batch processing?

3. I'm looking forward to more robust "edit sculpt" dev features! :moil:

Great software so far! :good:

Thanks for the images (cool! :yahoo: ) and for your function requests :good: . It really help to focus on what people need most urgently.

On v1.0 whitch I released last saturday I made some progress on the "edit sculpt with morphing method" - Still under development that's not flying yet, but it's now back working

Another user (Dave) have requested an entirely new approach, like preseting the expected shape (wall, face, cylinder, sphere) I want to test that too.

I was thinking about all those requests. Today I have 23 :good: , should I display that list on the web site, so people can propose new features, or vote for existing ones? I'm thinking of something that could be interactive somehow. :blink::blink: Just an idea.

• Advanced Member

@Hippolyte

preseting the expected shape (wall, face, cylinder, sphere) I want to test that too.

I like this idea also. :good:

I dont know how the geometry is created\stored in memory, but having the ability to manipulate the underlying lower subdivisions which would propagate through the higher subdivisions would be helpful to remove unwanted bulges.

should I display that list on the web site, so people can propose new features, or vote for existing ones? I'm thinking of something that could be interactive somehow.

uservoice does similar. I always thought that a system like this would help developers prioritize a little bit. Also, I think uservoice limits each user to a set number of votes to help prevent abuse.

The list of requests would be nice to see on your site. It might help spark some ideas, or see better ideas that have already been requested.

Well it wouldn't be too difficult to grab the outer edges and extrude them back in another program. Obviously if Image Sculpt can do that first it would be perfect, I'm just suggesting a temporary alternative.

• Advanced Member

Hey! don't keep it for yourself, I want to see it! :clapping:

Did you managed to get the texture too?

I'm thinking about that as I had the same request from a guy called Eric who needed that for making a rapid prototype with Shapeways.com

Do you know Shapeways? I haven't tried the service myself but it looks good. I want to make my face (the one one the web site) with this service one day. He explicitely requested to have it watertight (no holes in the sheet). That one condition is met today. I think you can print textured object too. Not sure

The polygon grid with texture can be loaded into the paint room, although the product is about 2Milion which is rather huge and takes some time to load.Maybe an option to reduce the number of polygons when saving? I was under thge impression that the reduce button in photosculpt reduces only the texture size?

A function to close the polygon would be warmly welcomed here. I haven't used Shapeway yet, but it defenitely needs so called watertight models. Also a closed model would be much easier if you would like to "glue" several models together ( different angles sewn together, could be a part of your soft one day, I think David Laser Scanner is a program you should know, do you ? ).

You can try printing at Shapeways , it is tens of bucks rather than hundreds for small models, they do colour but I don't know about subtle gradients.

The photosculpt shell :

post-1736-12681218104136_thumb.jpg

@Hippolyte

I like this idea also. :good:

I dont know how the geometry is created\stored in memory, but having the ability to manipulate the underlying lower subdivisions which would propagate through the higher subdivisions would be helpful to remove unwanted bulges.

Both "Edit sculpt" functions were created for that. They are both under development (see menu/?/under dev) now and did not received good feed back :( . So I stopped dev on it for at least 6 months now :( . I liked the idea because it sometimes saves photos even shot in difficult conditions. Well sometimes only, it's gamble, the chances are maybe 1 out of 3, so it's worth trying. I have many ideas to improve it. Maybe you want to try it? ;)

uservoice does similar. I always thought that a system like this would help developers prioritize a little bit. Also, I think uservoice limits each user to a set number of votes to help prevent abuse.

The list of requests would be nice to see on your site. It might help spark some ideas, or see better ideas that have already been requested.

Hey, that's an idea! I love it! :drinks: I'm even ready to try that immediately.

Let's do an experiment: I just created a list here :good:

http://photosculpt.uservoice.com :good:

Don't hesitate to give feed back on what you need most? I think it will clearly help me to focus on the most important things for you guys. Each one of you have 10 points to spend into ideas, it will take you 5 minutes. It looks cool thanks for the link 3d artist :yahoo:

• Advanced Member

Both "Edit sculpt" functions were created for that. They are both under development (see menu/?/under dev) now and did not received good feed back :( . So I stopped dev on it for at least 6 months now :( . I liked the idea because it sometimes saves photos even shot in difficult conditions. Well sometimes only, it's gamble, the chances are maybe 1 out of 3, so it's worth trying. I have many ideas to improve it. Maybe you want to try it? ;)

I have tried those options several times, but it is hard to get a grasp on how best they work because they crash frequently :(

Some tips on how it works would help. :)

I have tried those options several times, but it is hard to get a grasp on how best they work because they crash frequently :(

Some tips on how it works would help. :)

The crashes are gone since v1.0 - They were "abandonware" function since a few months until I decided to repair the one that crashed.

Quickly:

• Edit using morphing method = you have to overlay both left and right photo on top of the other by morphing one photo using handles then click ok.
  • Edit using pinning method = you have to define this pixel from your left photo that matches this same pixel from your right photo, it makes lines then click ok.

For them to work you need to start a sculpt, then stop a sculpt, then use the Edit sculpt function. (that was not obvious, hey? :blink::blink: ) Don't let it sculpt till the end. You won't be able to edit anymore.

They are in a early development phase and not even fully functional or made fool-proof. So use with caution? =@=@=@:p:

My prefered method is the morphing method. The pinning method has a drawback, it's the undefined size of the pin itself, sometimes you want it big, sometimes small, sometimes round sometimes square, sometimes like a line... so any idea is welcomed? :)

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the tips Hippolyte! I'll keep trying.

I noticed on your uservoice page (i voted) requests for using more than 2 photos to help refine the sculpt. I would much prefer this than manual editing :moil:

I think I will start taking multiple photos (left, center, right) now in hopes of this feature later. :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

If anyone is interested, this is something I put together using several photos I took and where I used them.

I wanted to create a more practical example of what can be done in a relatively short time.

I used the depth images created in PhotoSculpt as masks in 3DC.

:excl: Warning: The second attached image is pretty large. :download:

post-631-12704829705349_thumb.jpg

post-631-1270483006569_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

If anyone is interested, this is something I put together using several photos I took and where I used them.

I wanted to create a more practical example of what can be done in a relatively short time.

Beautiful 3DArtist! And quite well neatly presented too! :clapping:

To all others, notice that the PhotoSculpt Challenge has started again. See www.photosculpt.net for more info ?

• Advanced Member

Awesome generosity & cool act & bloody well executed too.

Big Karma points man!!!

Hippolyte why don't you use that for marketing and throw some $$$ in 3DArtists direction. And sign him up on your new marketing team too.

• 4 weeks later...