Notice about Feature Requests & Bug Reports

The bug reporting and feature request forums (except for the Urgent Help section) are going away soon! Please use Mantis to report any bugs and feature requests. the link to Mantis is:
3d-coat.com/mantis/

Read more about it HERE.

Photo

Photoshop/3DC Brush library?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 AbnRanger

AbnRanger

Master

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,215 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:00 PM

I've got a pretty extensive library of Photoshop brushes that can be uploaded to a central location here, if Andrew would like to have a sticky available for a Brush Exchange Library. Anyone else would be free to add their own brushes. I think this could contribute to some outstanding work being done when artists can quickly and easily access a huge library of various brush patterns....straight away, not having to dig around the internet to do so.

Andrew or anyone else on the 3DC staff, let me know if they can be uploaded to your server. The library I have is roughly 500mb

#2 Oliver Thornton

Oliver Thornton

Novice

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:09 PM

Me too. I've been building a set for release to the 3DC community, but with a 2mb limit there's no way I'm posting them as attachments. I asked Andrew about making a library (for registered users so as to conserve bandwidth) for mats, shaders, pens, vox stamps/splines, etc. He liked the idea, but it was right before the pre-launch bug stomp so I don't think he's had time to figure out how to implement it. Maybe once he has had a chance to catch up with post-vacation backlog we can give him another nudge.

-Oliver
Oliver Thornton
Modeler : Texture Artist : Animator
<a href="http://www.OT3D.com" target="_blank">www.OT3D.com</a>
<a href="http://www.3d-coat.c...Brush_Pack.zip" target="_blank">3D-Coat Brush Pack</a>

#3 jedwards

jedwards

Novice

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 12:54 AM

Me too. I've been building a set for release to the 3DC community, but with a 2mb limit there's no way I'm posting them as attachments. I asked Andrew about making a library (for registered users so as to conserve bandwidth) for mats, shaders, pens, vox stamps/splines, etc. He liked the idea, but it was right before the pre-launch bug stomp so I don't think he's had time to figure out how to implement it. Maybe once he has had a chance to catch up with post-vacation backlog we can give him another nudge.

-Oliver

Would be cool to be able to browse such libraries from within 3dc... kinda like XSI's netview or modo's new preset browser, with little thumbnails that represent the brushes so you can literally choose them to work with on the fly. Probably a bit more work upfront, but a great way to keep the community involved directly in improving 3dcoat. I know I much prefer being able to sift through a set of brushes or presets and just use what I want rather than having to download and then sort through and discard the stuff I don't want. Being able to categorize them would be gravy too.

#4 Digital777

Digital777

Novice

• PipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 01:41 AM

Good idea :)

For sharing larger files i always use -

http://box.net

I find it to be much more userfriendly than all the other ones and people downloading don't have to wait 30 seconds and all that other annoying stuff some similar sites do to download.

#5 Oliver Thornton

Oliver Thornton

Novice

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:07 AM

I really like the browsing idea. Off-hand I would think that would require a lot more work on the server side than actual programming. I bet just the people who have posted on this thread could contribute a few gigs of resources, which can be a lot of files and bandwidth to manage. On the programming side I'm fairly sure Andrew could do it once he knows what the users want.
Oliver Thornton
Modeler : Texture Artist : Animator
<a href="http://www.OT3D.com" target="_blank">www.OT3D.com</a>
<a href="http://www.3d-coat.c...Brush_Pack.zip" target="_blank">3D-Coat Brush Pack</a>

#6 kadu3d

kadu3d

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:21 AM

YEAHHHH!!! :yes:
NO LIMITS IN THE 3DCOAT COMMUNITY!!!!!!

#7 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,419 posts

• Interests:3D, martial arts, anime, gaming, contact juggling

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:35 PM

I never really got brushes. I use maybe 3 or 4 of the ones that comes with Photoshop. Never saw much need to download more. I guess if they were stamps for things you might need repeatedly like the button pen or that one that looks like bricks in 3DC then it could be useful.
Phil Nolan
Generalist
www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - Google+
Desktop: Win8.1 Pro x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
Laptop: Vista Home Prem x86, Core 2 Duo, 1.5 GHz, GeForce 8600M GS, 2GB RAM

#8 Javis

Javis

Pilgway Helper

• Custodian
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,571 posts

• Interests:3D, Swimming, Hiking, Motorbiking, Shooting, Archery, Militaria, Green Technology, Sustainability, Ancient History & The Future

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:49 PM

I think this is a really good idea. Though we may have to wait for Andrew to get back in town.

Vimeo|3DC Training Videos|Portfolio

Report any bugs & post feature requests on the 3DC Mantis page: http://3d-coat.com/mantis/

#9 AbnRanger

AbnRanger

Master

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,215 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:12 PM

I never really got brushes. I use maybe 3 or 4 of the ones that comes with Photoshop. Never saw much need to download more. I guess if they were stamps for things you might need repeatedly like the button pen or that one that looks like bricks in 3DC then it could be useful.

Brushes are your friend...my friend. :D Use em for sculpting/detailing irregular patterns...and more importantly texture painting believable textures...grunge brushes are terrific for both applications, like dirtying up masonry and asphalt, even metal. Also for scratches and damage on armor. Splat brushes are great too for dirtying up/weathering textures. Techno brushes can help build cityscapes, etc. You can use floral brushes to apply intricate patterns on armor, or within trim on a building.
There are just so many good applications. Having an extensive library can make your life a lot easier any time you have to use photoshop or 3DC. I'm just hoping that any brushes one might have loaded in the pallet is cached to DISK, and not hoarding precious RAM resources. Only the active brush should be loaded into memory.

#10 AbnRanger

AbnRanger

Master

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,215 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:32 PM

I think this is a really good idea. Though we may have to wait for Andrew to get back in town.

Hey Javis. Thanks again for the free webcast training. Looking forward to the paid one this weekend. Anyhow, someone asked "if they can use Photoshop brushes" during the session. If that topic comes up again, please mention that not only can you use them, but that happens to be one of the little nuggets of goodness that you find in 3DC.
You can simply copy all your photoshop brushes into the same folder your current 3dc brushes are stored, and load them into the pallet whenever you please. In Mudbox...it's a big pain to try and get all of your brushes into it's library. You have to go and convert each brush to a greyscale TGA or PNG, and then, in order to keep from having to spend all day doing that with each one, you have to set up an applet to do the entire folder. That makes it easier. But 3DC reads Photoshop brush files (.abr), so you don't have to go through all of that mess. Really nice feature, IMO.

Photoshop brushes into Mudbox (takes you seconds to load them into 3dc):

#11 Javis

Javis

Pilgway Helper

• Custodian
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,571 posts

• Interests:3D, Swimming, Hiking, Motorbiking, Shooting, Archery, Militaria, Green Technology, Sustainability, Ancient History & The Future

Posted 27 June 2009 - 01:58 AM

Hey man, thanks! I will definitely mention that. I had no idea you could do that, lol! It's one of those hidden gems.

PS- No problem on the session. This next one will be a great one. I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks for the video, too. I didn't know it was so troublesome to get brushes from photoshop in to mudbox, lol.

Report any bugs & post feature requests on the 3DC Mantis page: http://3d-coat.com/mantis/

#12 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,419 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:32 AM

Actually you don't even have to put the file anywhere special, just load them from the folder icon in with the other brushes.
Phil Nolan
Generalist

#13 Javis

Javis

Pilgway Helper

• Custodian
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:52 AM

Actually, I've been thinking about this... I wouldn't mind hosting it on my site. If I get enough interested I'll set up a page on my site with a brush library.

#14 Tony Nemo

Tony Nemo

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:54 AM

Actually, I've been thinking about this... I wouldn't mind hosting it on my site. If I get enough interested I'll set up a page on my site with a brush library.

As Audy Murphy was wont to say, "A good idea, I'll go for it!" I especially would like to see a brush that facilitated the depiction of hair in a voxel wig. Go for it, Jarvis! :clapping:

8 core 2.5 Xeon /12 gb RAM DX 64 Cuda / 560GTX-Ti. I always use the latest build.

#15 Andrew Shpagin

Andrew Shpagin

3DC creator & admin

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,593 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:46 PM

Just seen this thread. That is good idea - create common download and upload place for resources.
For example for shaders and brushes. I will give that request to webmaster.

#16 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,419 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:18 PM

This idea is similar to the Preset Central site where people can share LightWave surface presets.
http://www.presetcentral.com/

They actually have a program you can download that handles all of your preset uploading / downloading.
Phil Nolan
Generalist

#17 Javis

Javis

Pilgway Helper

• Custodian
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:41 PM

Ahh cool! Alright, I will let VladiMir do his Magic then! :)

#18 bwtr

bwtr

Honored Member

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:17 AM

I am awash, drowning!, in Photoshop brushes that I have collected over the years.
However a WOW free set made available by Yang, via this site, just asked to be put into 3DC..

http://forums.cgsoci...p?f=59&t=781923

I presume this is what you are all suggesting to do--attachment?

Brian

Attached Thumbnails

• 2009_07_12_1538.png

#19 AbnRanger

AbnRanger

Master

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,215 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:29 PM

Andrew, has your web guy set up a directory on the server where a Brush and Shader Library can be centrally located for registered users to upload and download? I'm ready to send my brush library (500mb roughly)...when you are ready to receive it.

#20 dirtrobot

dirtrobot

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:00 AM

I am awash, drowning!, in Photoshop brushes that I have collected over the years.
However a WOW free set made available by Yang, via this site, just asked to be put into 3DC..

http://forums.cgsoci...p?f=59&t=781923

I presume this is what you are all suggesting to do--attachment?

Brian

Thanks for the link, I missed that somehow!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users